Quarterback... Is 2018 the right time?

whodatworm23

With Drew Brees in the midst of a stellar season leading the Saints to a 6-2 record and 1st place position in the NFC South at the mid-way point of the season, Brees does not appear to be slowing down but father time is undefeated for a reason and Brees will be 39 years old before this season is over and despite having a great individual year thus far there are areas of his game that are begining to show signs of regression. For the most part Sean Payton has been able to reconstruct the offense around Brees to limit those flaws in games but its clear that Brees time will eventually come and it will likley be sooner rather than later.

Another thing that is apparently clear is the fact that the Saints as an orginazation appear to have noticed these limitations in Brees game and have already begun the process of searching for that successor. In the 2017 NFL draft the Saints were prepared to draft Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes 11th overall had the Buffalo Bills drafted cornerback Marshon Lattimore at 10th overall like they expected. The Bills ultimately traded the pick to the Chiefs who then took Mahomes leaving Lattimore for the Saints and the rest is history.

You'd be hard pressed to find any Saints fan upset about getting Lattimore instead of Mahomes but it does show you just how much of a piorioty the Saints have placed in finding a eventual successor to Brees is for them. The 2018 NFL draft is set to be littered with potentially starting NFL caliber quarterbacks and the question still remains, "when will the Saints pull the trigger"?

Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson amongst others could potentially throw their names into the mix for the 2018 draft possibly forcing the Saints hand come April. My father always told me theirs never a bad time to make the right decision and the Saints could very well find themselves in this position very soon.

One thing about Drew Brees is that hes unique so for those Saints fans wanting to simply wait until the next Drew Brees comes along are in for some bad news... Its more likley this franchise will never again see another player like Brees. However that does not mean that this franchise cannot secure a good young quarterback to succeed Brees when the time comes, even if that means that said quarterback is of a different style player as the guy we all have come to love and recognize as thr greatest player to ever donn the black and gold.

I personally believe that the 2018 NFL draft will force the Saints brass to make a decision... One that either benifits the quest for a 2018 NFL championship or the quest for continued success beyond Drew Brees. Its a decision that could very well alter the course of the franchise in many ways and ultimately place a countdown on the career of the greatest player in franchise history.

So what do you believe... Is 2018 the time for the Saints to make a move for a quarterback or sould we continue to ignore the position until were forced into making move?

WHODAT

Make the move if it's there, but don't push a move based on a maybe. Does that make sense?

I'm leaving this one up to our scouts. The new scouting department has been doing a really good job, so perhaps they'll pull the trigger on the right guy rather than who Payton thinks is good.

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Make the move if it's there, but don't push a move based on a maybe. Does that make sense?

I'm leaving this one up to our scouts. The new scouting department has been doing a really good job, so perhaps they'll pull the trigger on the right guy rather than who Payton thinks is good.

Even if that means making a trade?

The trend in the NFL these days in the draft is when you identify "your guy" you better make a move to secure him.

Or are you saying only make that move if "our guy" happens to fall into our lap?

I think the answer depends on who is available no?

If it's via draft, chances are we're drafting in the backend of the 20s, is Baker Mayfield the type of prospect you are confident can come be the heir apparent after Brees?

If it's free agency, is someone like say Kirk Cousins worth the enormous contract he's going to get? Do you settle on 'not really franchise QB' guys like Tyrod Taylor (hypothetically if he becomes available) and hope the rest of the team carries him?

I mean reality is Brees has maybe 2 years left in the NFL. However as we've seen with Manning, the drop in performance from non Brady QBs is sudden.

For me, it depends on who is available. Ireland has done a wonderful job of us drafting, so if he says 'yeah Mayfield is a guy who can be a franchise guy', then I say lets do it. Same with say Cousins. Our team is really primed to make life for a young QB 100x easier. Weather its a young a stable O-line, a stable of RBs that can pound the rock or WRs that can bail out a dodgy throw. We just need to make sure it's the right one and not some placeholder.

However, if the alternatives don't tick enough boxes, then I say we keep Brees a Saint until he's done. No need to settle for a QB and be in purgatory.

We could also go with the not so proven but game experience in someone like Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, or even Sam Bradford.  All 3 will be FA at the end of the year so Minnesota has to make a decision on who they want to try to keep, and we could look to get one of them to bring in and be the guy after Brees, even as soon as next year.

41 minutes ago, SSK said:

Jeff Ireland seems to have a good eye on talent so if he thinks one of the QBs are worth it, then he should go for it. 

It has to happen soon so next season is just as good as any other. 

While Ireland has done a great job... The selection of a successor to Brees would likley be a decision on many levels. Loomis, Payton, Ireland amd even Benson would all most likely be involved in that decision and while they likley wouldnt admit it and the fact that Brees might not like it, i suspect they would even inform Brees of the selection out of respect.

I still see Brees getting a 2-3 year extention this offseason giving him a sense of security during this transition.

14 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Even if that means making a trade?

The trend in the NFL these days in the draft is when you identify "your guy" you better make a move to secure him.

Or are you saying only make that move if "our guy" happens to fall into our lap?

Of course I'd prefer the later of these, but if the scouting dept. says "this guy's got it" and the coaches agree, sure. I think cost vs. price are 2 different things, and you never know until they hit the field.

Look at the Eagles and Rams right now. 2 guys who had pretty bad rookie seasons, now they're doing really well.

Now, I don't expect us to find a Dak Prescott in the 4th, or another Brady in the 6th, but you never know, and it doesn't have to be a #1 or 2 pick, I guess.

In the end, I'd like to see at least another year of Brees, and I won't back down off of that.

1 minute ago, Mid Iowa said:

Of course I'd prefer the later of these, but if the scouting dept. says "this guy's got it" and the coaches agree, sure. I think cost vs. price are 2 different things, and you never know until they hit the field.

Look at the Eagles and Rams right now. 2 guys who had pretty bad rookie seasons, now they're doing really well.

Now, I don't expect us to find a Dak Prescott in the 4th, or another Brady in the 6th, but you never know, and it doesn't have to be a #1 or 2 pick, I guess.

In the end, I'd like to see at least another year of Brees, and I won't back down off of that.

Oh I agree... Ill even go as far as saying I want at least 2 more years of Brees but id love to have that guy developing and learning the system behind the scenes while Breea is winding down his career.

12 hours ago, Raves said:

We could also go with the not so proven but game experience in someone like Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, or even Sam Bradford.  All 3 will be FA at the end of the year so Minnesota has to make a decision on who they want to try to keep, and we could look to get one of them to bring in and be the guy after Brees, even as soon as next year.

No, no, and NO!!
Bradford is a walking knee injury, Bridgewater couldn't trust himself BEFORE his injury, let alone now, and Keenum is playing just enough for his team to win, and he's got 2 great receivers and a really good TE. Keenum is 7 years in and is barely holding on to his starting position... that's not our guy.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Oh I agree... Ill even go as far as saying I want at least 2 more years of Brees but id love to have that guy developing and learning the system behind the scenes while Breea is winding down his career.

100%! I'd love a smart, patient student. Even if (his) year 3 isn't a great one, I'll bet year 4 would be.

To boot, it looks like our D can hold us enough to where a young starter could actually post a 9-10 win season by scoring average to below average points.

Look at our talent level. Our D is a few pieces away from elite (need a stud LB and DT). Our offense just needs a really good TE and healthy linemen. And, as you've stated, we're YOUNG!!

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

No, no, and NO!!
Bradford is a walking knee injury, Bridgewater couldn't trust himself BEFORE his injury, let alone now, and Keenum is playing just enough for his team to win, and he's got 2 great receivers and a really good TE. Keenum is 7 years in and is barely holding on to his starting position... that's not our guy.

Id perfer a clean slate "green rookie"... Even if that means he comes from a spread system and needs development under center IE Mayfield, Rudolph, etc.

Bring that young gut in and force Payton, Carmichael and Lombardi to earn that paycheck.

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Id perfer a clean slate "green rookie"... Even if that means he comes from a spread system and needs development under center IE Mayfield, Rudolph, etc.

Bring that young gut in and force Payton, Carmichael and Lombardi to earn that paycheck.

I’ll preface this by saying I think Brees is a Saint for 2 more years after this, then he retires.

However, if for some reason Brees isn’t a Saint after this year, I’d be fine with Alex Smith for a couple years... maybe not fine but Id prefer it to any other FA options. 

I want a clean slate rookie too, Alex Smith is a backup plan but I think he’s the best backup plan.

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’ll preface this by saying I think Brees is a Saint for 2 more years after this, then he retires.

However, if for some reason Brees isn’t a Saint after this year, I’d be fine with Alex Smith for a couple years... maybe not fine but Id prefer it to any other FA options. 

I want a clean slate rookie too, Alex Smith is a backup plan but I think he’s the best backup plan.

The reason Im big on Mayfield other than believing that his skill set is a great fit for Paytons system is the other qualties he has that makes him a logical fit.

Hes an Austin TX kid growing up i believe less than 30 miles from where Drew did. They were both extremly accimplished TX high school quarterbacks that were basically overlooked by most colleges due to thier perceived lack of physical stature. They are both great leaders in thier own way and extremly accurate passers. There is alot in common between these two to where I feel a Brees and Mayfield pairing could be about as good a realtionship you could ask for in a passing of the torch situation which is never easy for the outgoing player.

As with Payton... Payton himself was a undersized overlooked quarterback at one point in his life who had to become a replacement player for the Bears. Its part of why Payton has an affinity for undrafted players and undersized guys who can play because he sees a little bit of himself in those guys. Mayfields story of being overlooked out of high school then walking on to TT wining that job, moving onto Oklahoma as a walk on once again winning that job and becoming what he has become... That approach and determination has to appeal to a guy like Payton. 

Then the final part of it is that if the Saints and Payton were in lovr to the point with Mahomes to make him the 11th pick last year, then there has to be intrest in Mayfield this year.

Archived