Quarterback... Is 2018 the right time?

whodatworm23

47 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I’ll preface this by saying I think Brees is a Saint for 2 more years after this, then he retires.

However, if for some reason Brees isn’t a Saint after this year, I’d be fine with Alex Smith for a couple years... maybe not fine but Id prefer it to any other FA options. 

I want a clean slate rookie too, Alex Smith is a backup plan but I think he’s the best backup plan.

I wouldn't be upset if we were "forced" to bring in Smith due to Brees going elsewhere. I'm pretty high on Smith, have been for some time now. 

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I wouldn't be upset if we were "forced" to bring in Smith due to Brees going elsewhere. I'm pretty high on Smith, have been for some time now. 

I've liked Smith ever since 2011.  I know he had an excellent team around him, but he made plays when it counted against our(admittedly wet paper bag) defense in the playoffs.  Then he had a great year in 2011 before the 49ers replaced him with Kaepernick, and I thought that was a mistake from the get go.

He's been the ultimate game manager, but this year he's proven he's capable of more than just simply managing games.

Looking at some scouting reports, it looks like the QB from Northwestern, Clayton Thorson, could be someone to look at if he declares for the NFL.  Much like Jay Cutler his stats won't wow you as he played on a team devoid of any other talent, but scouts seem to think that he has the skills to be a NFL QB.

11/9/17: Scouts who were through Northwestern told me that they were impressed with what they saw from Thorson on tape and in practice. Thorson has shown that he has pro potential in terms of his skill set. He can throw the deep out with a fastball that can be fit into tight windows. Thorson also has quality mechanics with a quick delivery. Scouts say that he has a super-strong arm, is smart, athletic, and has improved as a junior. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#ixzz4yLFfCY5E

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#BWVotlxxqv2VQRAQ.99

I know WalterFootball isn't always the best source, but if they are talkign to actual scouts and not just making up sources, then sounds like he could be a guy that Payton and crew would fall in love with.

4 hours ago, Raves said:

Looking at some scouting reports, it looks like the QB from Northwestern, Clayton Thorson, could be someone to look at if he declares for the NFL.  Much like Jay Cutler his stats won't wow you as he played on a team devoid of any other talent, but scouts seem to think that he has the skills to be a NFL QB.

I know WalterFootball isn't always the best source, but if they are talkign to actual scouts and not just making up sources, then sounds like he could be a guy that Payton and crew would fall in love with.

Hes wildey inaccurate... Has arm for days but consistently overthrows recievers and displays very little touch. Yes hes got a NFL body and a cannon, hes smart but there are major flaws with him IMO. 

17 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yea, we aren't getting Baker Mayfield.  Unless we just completely collapse, and even then 7-9 is the worst we're gonna do.

Another guy i really like projecting to the Saints offense is Luke Falk of Washington State. However I view him more of a mid-round (3rd or 4th rounder) pick. His accuracy and touch is special and he has above average arm strength. However he needs time to develop his body and adjust to a pro style offense. His college career has been a mixed bag but I also feel his head coach Mike Leach is to blame for alot of problems viewed as Falks. Falk is a potential NFL starter in a few years and i liken him to Kirk Cousins talent wise.

Archived