Packers Release TE Marty B ... Claimed by Patriots ... Placed on IR

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

The Pats listed it as shoulder AND hamstring. He was clearly limited with a saw shoulder in the time he was playing here.

Are you really maintaining that his shoulder is fine?

If his shoulder was so bad why did the Patriots play him for two more games after the fact? So let me get this straight:

1. Bennett is cleared to play on the shoulder by GB. 

2. Rodgers goes down and Bennett wants to go to IR after being just fine playing on the shoulder before. 

3. Packers release Bennett, multiple teammates say he quite on the team, and even often hyper critical ex Packers back up that GBs medical staff are extremely conservative with injuries and defend the team doctors. 

4. Patriots sign Bennett off waivers even when Bennett supposedly told them not to (Yeah Right). 

5. Bennett plays two more games on shoulder that the Patriots then medically cleared. (I'm sure he was begging for IR the entire time). 

6. He goes on IR with a Hamstring & Shoulder injury that he has been playing on all year now?

What is more likely the shoulder injury caused IR or the hamstring? Because if you truly believe he went on IR due to his shoulder should the league be fining the Patriots for having him play on this supposedly bad shoulder causing a player to go down for a whole year? They are being hyper sensitive about injuries after all. Is the Patriots medical staff heartless or are they just idiots? My guess would be neither. This all on top of the ample evidence that Bennett has been a crap teammate everywhere other than New England his entire career. New England got lucky and had Bennett fall into there lap. I don't blame New England for signing him nor do I think New England owes GB anything for signing him. That doesn't change the fact that Bennett is an awful teammate and you better hope like hell the Patriots are never in a similar situation as the Packers right now or he WILL quit on that team. 

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

If his shoulder was so bad why did the Patriots play him for two more games after the fact? So let me get this straight:

1. Bennett is cleared to play on the shoulder by GB. 

2. Rodgers goes down and Bennett wants to go to IR after being just fine playing on the shoulder before. 

3. Packers release Bennett, multiple teammates say he quite on the team, and even often hyper critical ex Packers back up that GBs medical staff are extremely conservative with injuries and defend the team doctors. 

4. Patriots sign Bennett off waivers even when Bennett supposedly told them not to (Yeah Right). 

5. Bennett plays two more games on shoulder that the Patriots then medically cleared. (I'm sure he was begging for IR the entire time). 

6. He goes on IR with a Hamstring & Shoulder injury that he has been playing on all year now?

What is more likely the shoulder injury caused IR or the hamstring? Because if you truly believe he went on IR due to his shoulder should the league be fining the Patriots for having him play on this supposedly bad shoulder causing a player to go down for a whole year? They are being hyper sensitive about injuries after all. Is the Patriots medical staff heartless or are they just idiots? My guess would be neither. This all on top of the ample evidence that Bennett has been a crap teammate everywhere other than New England his entire career. New England got lucky and had Bennett fall into there lap. I don't blame New England for signing him nor do I think New England owes GB anything for signing him. That doesn't change the fact that Bennett is an awful teammate and you better hope like hell the Patriots are never in a similar situation as the Packers right now or he WILL quit on that team. 

I honestly can't believe I'm having to say this again but...

1. His shoulder was hurting in GB. He played through it for another ring.

2. Rodgers went down, Bennett wanted to shut down for the season since there was no longer anything to play for.

3. Instead of putting him on IR or letting him get his surgery, the Packers insisted he play.

4. When he refused they cut him.

5. He told teams not to claim him on waivers becuase he wanted shoulder surgery, the Patriots claimed him anyway.

6. Now he was on the Patriots, a familiar and friendly setting, he decided to try and push through the injury for a shot at another ring. Just like he was willing to do in GB.

7. He pulls a hamstring, putting him out for several weeks, and decides he may as well get that shoulder surgery since he's got another injury anyway. Is placed on IR.

This explanation fits all the facts, doesn't have to include the (baseless) accusation that Bennett either concealed or feigned an injury, and doesn't rely on some kind of Wile-E-Coyote inspired master plan by the Patriots. I think the Pats claiming him was about next season as much as this season. Allen has not been a great replacement, and Gronk is always one play away from IR, and BB loves having depth at TE.

3 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

5. He told teams not to claim him on waivers becuase he wanted shoulder surgery, the Patriots claimed him anyway.

Do you honestly believe this to be true? If his shoulder was so bad he didn't want to be claimed that both:

1. Patriots would claim him anyways. 

2. Patriots would medically clear him to play. 

In today's hyper sensitive to injuries league?  

4 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

6. Now he was on the Patriots, a familiar and friendly setting, he decided to try and push through the injury for a shot at another ring. Just like he was willing to do in GB

Yeah "Push through it" is really stretching. He never once mentioned a shoulder till Rodgers went down and it looked like the Packers were going to stink it up. If poor loudmouth Bennett was really pushing through anything you don't think the press wouldn't of heard about it till after he wanted out? 

5 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Bennett either concealed or feigned an injury

He definitely over exaggerated the injury in GB to get released. 

11 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

. He pulls a hamstring, putting him out for several weeks

Even your own Boston Herald disputes that it was just a pulled hamstring:

Boston Herald Link

"The Patriots placed tight end Martellus Bennett on injured reserve on Monday due to the hamstring ailment that he suffered a week ago. The tear in the hamstring was going to cause him to miss a considerable amount of time, so the decision was made to shut him down for the season."

13 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

kind of Wile-E-Coyote inspired master plan by the Patriots.

I think that's why your defending him so much but I don't know of anyone who actually believes that the Patriots did anything wrong here.Agree to disagree, but you say most of the facts prove that Bennett was not a turd and telling the truth. I say most of the facts prove that he is a crap teammate. I don't think we will ever agree on this however. 

6 hours ago, childofpudding said:

You're generalizing and attacking a fanbase. Pretty sure it's a rule that we're supposed to talk about football here, not fanbases.

You're right.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that.  I did it because if I said the person I meant instead, he'd complain about it and I'd get a warning. 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Do you honestly believe this to be true? If his shoulder was so bad he didn't want to be claimed that both:

1. Patriots would claim him anyways. 

2. Patriots would medically clear him to play. 

In today's hyper sensitive to injuries league?  

Yes, no question, because by claiming him they get his rights for the future, not just this season. I honestly doubt they expected him to make much impact this year.

He definitely over exaggerated the injury in GB to get released. 

But they didn't have to release him, they could have just put him on IR. I have no idea why they didn't.

Even your own Boston Herald disputes that it was just a pulled hamstring:

Boston Herald Link

"The Patriots placed tight end Martellus Bennett on injured reserve on Monday due to the hamstring ailment that he suffered a week ago. The tear in the hamstring was going to cause him to miss a considerable amount of time, so the decision was made to shut him down for the season."

I think this is just semantics, I would classify "several weeks" and "considerable amount of time" as the same. Bottom line, if it was just a hamstring tear, would he be on IR? There's still weeks until the play-offs. He could easily be fit for late January...if it was just hamstring. Instead he's going on IR and getting shoulder surgery, that implies he needed it all along and was just putting it off.

4 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

But they didn't have to release him, they could have just put him on IR. I have no idea why they didn't.

because he failed to disclose the nature of the injury and committed fraud - so they did the logical thing and tried to recoup the money he fraudulently collected.

15 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

do you have any proof of that what so ever?

I'm sure he has no physical proof but isn't that essentially what they claimed when they released him with that designation? I'm not even being facetious. I thought that was the idea. 

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Yes, no question, because by claiming him they get his rights for the future, not just this season. I honestly doubt they expected him to make much impact this year.

I think this is just semantics, I would classify "several weeks" and "considerable amount of time" as the same. Bottom line, if it was just a hamstring tear, would he be on IR? There's still weeks until the play-offs. He could easily be fit for late January...if it was just hamstring. Instead he's going on IR and getting shoulder surgery, that implies he needed it all along and was just putting it off.

As far as, no idea why they cut him.

A. He said he was having surgery that ended his season and he was retiring after the season. Why keep someone who just told everyone and you there career is over as a football player?

B. Cutting him before week ten dropped his contract from playing against the comp formula.

If you believe (I didn't and don't) he was going to retire after the year, so you don't get him ever again, why not ditch a few bucks and get him off the comp formula stuff?

Edit: I think he needed it all along too. Or was right there too whatever "need" means exactly.

11 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm sure he has no physical proof but isn't that essentially what they claimed when they released him with that designation? I'm not even being facetious. I thought that was the idea. 

theres nothing really pointing to it though besides what the packers said, id want a little more personally before treating it as gospel.

11 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

As far as, no idea why they cut him.

A. He said he was having surgery that ended his season and he was retiring after the season. Why keep someone who just told everyone and you there career is over as a football player?

B. Cutting him before week ten dropped his contract from playing against the comp formula.

If you believe (I didn't and don't) he was going to retire after the year, so you don't get him ever again, why not ditch a few bucks and get him off the comp formula stuff?

Edit: I think he needed it all along too. Or was right there too whatever "need" means exactly.

Didn't know that about the contract, that does go some way to explainining it. Either way, Bennett had no way of knowing they would cut him and not just stash him on IR.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

Didn't know that about the contract, that does go some way to explainining it. Either way, Bennett had no way of knowing they would cut him and not just stash him on IR.

Fair enough. Was just throwing out the most logical answer out there on why cut him. 

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

theres nothing really pointing to it though besides what the packers said, id want a little more personally before treating it as gospel.

It's certainly not gospel. But it makes you at least wonder what the whole deal was.

Archived