Jerry Jones threatening to sue NFL over Goodell

Thelonebillsfan

1 hour ago, Pats#1 said:

Oh I don't doubt a bunch of owners were supporting him going after TB....because the owners wanted to have a better chance at winning, everything else be damned.

Like I said, I think every owner is fine with other owners clubs getting screwed over until it happens to them.

Jerry Jones loved TB getting suspended, and the loss of the 1st round pick because it didn't effect his team negatively. 

Now his team is being affected and we see how quickly his opinion on Goodells power and reasoning has changed.

Actually Jerry Jones liked the fact that Kraft had to eat dirt with deflategate after Kraft told him to eat dirt when Mara basically protested the league to punish Jerry in the uncapped year. Even as a Patriot fan, I can sympathize with Jerry on that one. The thing is you are right, the Goodell has 32 bosses and they all compete with each other. Jones is lashing out because he was on the back end of it. 

Thing is, I bet about 31 other owners aren't heartbroken for Jones.

10 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He is the fall guy for their stupidity. The game is not going back to how it used to be with guys actively beating each others brains in, it's not, and Rodger Goodell is not even responsible for that, outcry,  a shift in public opinion, and a ton of lawsuits is.

The saddest part of this true statement is that genuine concern for the players' health is not a priority at all among the NFL or, lets be real here, a significant fraction (I'd guess the majority) of the fanbase.

9 hours ago, lancerman said:

Actually Jerry Jones liked the fact that Kraft had to eat dirt with deflategate after Kraft told him to eat dirt when Mara basically protested the league to punish Jerry in the uncapped year. Even as a Patriot fan, I can sympathize with Jerry on that one. The thing is you are right, the Goodell has 32 bosses and they all compete with each other. Jones is lashing out because he was on the back end of it. 

Thing is, I bet about 31 other owners aren't heartbroken for Jones.

^^THIS^^  Jones made his complaint on a conference call with the compensation committee about Goodell's extension.  The 5 other owners on the call removed Jones from the Committee and the call.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The saddest part of this true statement is that genuine concern for the players' health is not a priority at all among the NFL or, lets be real here, a significant fraction (I'd guess the majority) of the fanbase.

You're right it's not genuine. But it's a way to maintain future viability (they are screwed with the high school and youth football situation) and to shield themselves from lawsuits 

Jerry is such a reactive whinny Mitch! Where was this distain for Goodell when he was helping you make 100's of millions of dollars over the past decade? Funny how "Now" after he came after your precious Little 1/2 shirt wearing, woman beating POS CowGirl, you threaten to Sue if he's extended???

Can't wait until the other 30 owners (Kraft not included) give you the middle finger, tell you to shut your mouth and go back to your Billion $ Corner in Texas! We're about making ? too!!!

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Jerry is such a reactive whinny Mitch! Where was this distain for Goodell when he was helping you make 100's of millions of dollars over the past decade? Funny how "Now" after he came after your precious Little 1/2 shirt wearing, woman beating POS CowGirl, you threaten to Sue if he's extended???

Can't wait until the other 30 owners (Kraft not included) give you the middle finger, tell you to shut your mouth and go back to your Billion $ Corner in Texas! We're about making ? too!!!

You gonna make it through the night?

On 11/8/2017 at 8:38 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

OTL(which tried to turn the Ray Rice thing into Goodell’s Watergate) and the NYT. So I take it with a grain of salt. But I REALLY hope it’s true. I barely even recognize this game anymore and I’m convinced this guy is a megalomaniac 

which one?

On 11/8/2017 at 4:16 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21342623/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-threatens-sue-nfl-roger-goodell

What a petulant child. Threatening to sue the league and individual owners because he's angry Zeke got 6 games and they won't force players to stand. Despite still being the most valuable franchise in the league.

Goodell sucks though. He should be fired regardless

22 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I remember my first beer. 

On 11/9/2017 at 7:59 AM, jebrick said:

^^THIS^^  Jones made his complaint on a conference call with the compensation committee about Goodell's extension.  The 5 other owners on the call removed Jones from the Committee and the call.

Jerry wasn't a real member of the committee.

The Elliot suspension was almost certainly just the final straw for Jones, and it's pretty to see why it would bother an owner especially if they feel as though they were lied to.

According to someone close to Jones, the suspensions, even before Elliott’s, riled him. The Hall of Fame owner has been angry that Goodell came down hard on players even when overwhelming evidence did not exist.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/12/jerry-jones-roger-goodell-new-contract

I mean, people think it's about losing his RB for 4 games? No. It's about taking one of the league's most marketable young stars and trashing him publicly based on flimsy evidence at best after a year long investigation (seriously, I've yet to here a reasonable answer as to why this case, and only this domestic abuse case, took a full year to investigate when everything was known within days or weeks). The Cowboys had one of their star players painted in the worst light possible by the league, and it wasn't entirely their choice. They didn't have some large media outcry demanding this action. The media had basically yawned at the story as it broke with the accuser having little credibility. There wasn't going to be a Ray Rice video, but the league seemed to look for a reason to bring the hammer down. They then hit him with a suspension based on a rule they haven't even been following for anyone else.

I've argued for years that here is one of the league's biggest problems. Goodell and his policies don't protect the shield. They directly harm it. He drags the league from one controversy to another. He brings more negative media attention than any individual player has during his tenure. With his arbitrary if not entirely random punishments to the league office when it often hasn't been necessary to inexplicably going easy in cases that blow up in the league's face. The completely laughable nature of Goodell's justice invited scrutiny and made it easy pickings for the media.

No other sports league has this problem. Most other sports leagues don't have a commissioner like Goodell who made it a point to clean up the league from the get go. NBA players get arrested and accused of things. But the NBA isn't hyper reactionary with a commissioner who put himself on the cover of Time magazine dubbing himself the Sheriff within his first few months in office.

And now you are publicly seeing sponsors complain about the NFL, in their words, basically lurching from controversy to the next and the awful way the league responds. It took a long time because the league was growing still. Well, it isn't anymore. The money supply is now in jeopardy.

Goodell simply isn't good at his job. And the Elliot suspension is just symptomatic of the reasons why.

Archived