RamRod

General Season Talk

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Besides, it would be a BIGGER story to get right that the Rams are stuck with Gurley no matter what in 2020 now that he's a shell of himself and his cap hit spikes. It would be in their best interests to get the cap side of this correct. 

What are you talking about? The idea of trading Gurley is the juicy story, thats the one that will get clicks and views. No one cares about getting stories RIGHT anymore. they care about drawing eyeballs. Wake up

Its exactly why a bogus story was being written today about David Johnson being likely cut was running all over these aggregator sites instead of correctly reporting that it was some ESPN writers "Bold" prediction

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You are now conflating two completely different things; can a trade happen, and does it make sense financially. Not surprising, because you just want to parade around like your correct and everyone else on here is stupid, but sure go ahead and make yourself feel better.

No, I'm not. I simply posted what I read on twitter from Thiry and asked for discussion. I was met with people saying it was not even remotely possible and we would owe more money trading him than not. After a day, and more reporting from more credible sources, it appears some have come around that it is possible, but highly unlikely. Which I agree with, but also believe if a meeting is taking place and options exist, Les Snead can do the right thing. Whether that means trading or restructuring or letting him play out is irrelevant. I think he will do the best job possible. 

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

They can "explore" their "options" all they want. But the numbers are the numbers, and the CBA doesnt adjust to make it work for us.

Yes, no one is suggesting otherwise. The numbers say there is a possiblity of trading Gurley before a certain date and the Rams saving $4.65M.

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We can trade him, if we really want to, but it would be a heard needle to thread to make the money work in our favor. and thats not even answering is whatever compensation we get (not much for a RB with too much $$ on him) even worth it?

TBD.

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So im sure you'll have some smartass comment on how all these talking heads are spouting the same thing because they all talked to the one same source, and thats somehow as proof positive that we are all idiots. But us living over here in reality know that with all the factors in this situation, the chances of the rams trading gurley, are sitting at next to none

Thiry was a bold prediction that ESPN asked her to give. Rapaport is a report that a meeting will take place soon with Snead, McVay, and Gurley to discuss options.  That's more recent and more credible of a report than Thiry.

Chances are slim he is traded. A possibility exists and will be explored. This is progress over yesterdays thoughts.

37 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

So until March 15th, we could trade him and save $4.65M....Glad we are all on the same page now. And yes, I choose to believe NFL Network's top reporter and a website who's soul purpose is to provide accurate cap information.

That would be all find and good... except for the fact that trading can't happen until March 18th at 2:00pm.  Explain to me how we're going to trade someone by or before March 15th.  I'll wait.

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

That would be all find and good... except for the fact that trading can't happen until March 18th at 2:00pm.  Explain to me how we're going to trade someone by or before March 15th.  I'll wait.

Just going by Ian Rapaport and his statements today on NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101410/article/rams-to-meet-with-todd-gurley-to-discuss-2020-status

https://overthecap.com/player/todd-gurley/3858/

Todd Gurley signed a four year, $57.5 million contract extension with the Rams on July 25, 2018. Details of the contract come from a report from Mike Florio of PFT. Gurley received $45 million in guarantees, $21.95 million of which is guaranteed at signing, including a $21 million signing bonus. On the 3rd day of the 2019 league year his base salary and 2020 3rd day of the league year roster bonus which total $12.55 million will become fully guaranteed. On the 3rd day of the 2020 league year the final $10.5 million in injury guarantees becomes fully guaranteed. This includes Gurley's 2021 3rd day of the league year roster bonus. On the 3rd day of the 2021 and 2022 league years Gurley will earn a non guaranteed $1 million roster bonus. Those same years Gurley will earn a $4 million reporting bonus. There are also $2.5 million in escalators that can increase the total contract value to $60 million if earned. Gurley's cap figure in 2018 increased by $2.8 million and his 2019 cap figure decreased by $430,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

Pay particularly close attention to the trading part on March 18th.

Trading period for 2020 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2019 contracts.

So his guaranteed roster bonus is paid on March 15th and you can't trade somebody until March 18th. We're paying that money this year one way or another so that's $7.5 million. When we trade him the remaining years of his prorated signing bonus escalates into 2020's so that's another $12.6 million we pay this year. We're now at paying a guy $20.1 million if we trade him. Whereas his cap hit this year is $17.25 million. You get it now? I understand that Rappaport, Schefter and Thiry along with countless others in the media are saying we should trade him but it's really simple math. You incur almost an extra $4 million in cap space to trade a guy and then you have to replace him and his production. 

Now if we wait a year and trade or cut him or he retires after 2020 what happens? Well all that escalates into the 2021 cap is $8.4 million where his cap hit for 2021 would be $13.2 millon. In 2021 we actually would save money to cut him not much but we would. In 2022 it goes up to a savings of $10 million and 2023 it's no cap hit. 

Again I get it you want to believe the NFL media because they know everything but when you actually look at the numbers and get some understanding of it you come to the realization that Gurley and Cooks (who's situation is almost identical) are going to be Rams in 2020 and possibly 2021 no matter what you read from Rapsheet or Schefter or Thiry.

Did I explain this well enough? This isn't the first time I've posted these numbers. 

i don't read that at all in that piece.

but i read that part:

"That roster bonus is really a big factor here, $7.55 million that is fully guaranteed and due to Todd Gurley on March 20

its march 20th, two days after we can trade him.

3 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

i don't read that at all in that piece.

but i read that part:

its march 20th, two days after we can trade him.

It's a second concrete albatross that will make him entirely untrade-able unless we cough up premium assets to get someone to take him.  They'd be committing to paying $7.55M right out the gate, then his 2021 roster bonus fully guarantees either that day or very soon thereafter, then there's still his 2020 salary to be accounted for.  It's pretty clear that the dates when these roster bonuses guarantee (in the previous year) are built-in no-trade clauses without being called as much.

And now Ted is gone too....what is going on ? it's like everybody wants to get out of the ship...

Ted Rath, the Rams' strength and conditioning coach the last three seasons, has departed to join the Philadelphia Eagles as the director of sports performance, per a news release by the Eagles.

14 minutes ago, Flounch said:

And now Ted is gone too....what is going on ? it's like everybody wants to get out of the ship...

Or it’s like McVay is clearing out the rest of the Fisher guys. Isn’t that a much better thought than calling the Rams a sinking ship ffs.

I don't like this Gurley situation. The biggest difference was the OL - we had built a great platform for Gurley to perform in 2018 and then didn't in 2019. He had a similar year to his second year in the league, came back to two all-pro seasons. 

Cooks contract is more debilitating than Gurley's. I hope we keep him and find a guard that can give him a hand! 

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Or it’s like McVay is clearing out the rest of the Fisher guys. Isn’t that a much better thought than calling the Rams a sinking ship ffs.

I think McVay hired Rath. 

Those sinking ship posts are getting ridiculous though. In an injury riddled, re-loading year we went 9-7. I would've given up a nut to win 9 games from Spags to Fisher.

Either a lot of our fans got too spoiled or they weren't around for Billy Devaney and his 4 pillars. 

4 hours ago, Flounch said:

Quick! you should jump too before it gets too late. 

5 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Cooks contract is more debilitating than Gurley's. I hope we keep him and find a guard that can give him a hand!

This (the bold) is the key.  The scheme is McVay's, but the concepts within it are contributed to by the positional coaches.  McVay picked Kroemer as running game coordinator/glorified-title-for-OL-coach because Kroemer's blocking scheme fit what McVay wanted to do within his scheme.  Kroemer's system is highly predicated off of high-level guard play.  It's why they spent up in New Orleans to keep Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks and to bring in Ben Grubbs.  it's why they used a 1st round pick on Kyle Long to play RG and spent up to keep Matt Slauson around in Chicago.  Saffold was a big loss for us, particularly when the guy who succeeded him went down injured 6 weeks into the regular season and Havenstein's had a poor year, resulting in him not being able to carry water for Blythe - which was essential to Blythe over-performing in 2018-19 (can't hang it all on Havenstein, the change at center and that Blythe had to chip in there too didn't help).

Between Edwards and Evans we should be confidently capable at one of the guard spots; maybe even cautiously optimistic at both, but - particularly given the injury that Noteboom is coming back from - it wouldn't be a terrible idea to watch cap-cuts closely and try to snag a seasoned/possibly twilight-of-his-prime vet on a 1-year deal who can pinch hit at the position for us for 2020.  If we opt to wait till the draft, I would be shocked to see them sinking anything before early Day 3 into the position, but I'd keep my eye on the heavier, strong and girthy OT's (RT's from bigger programs, LT's who don't project to be able to stay there at the next level from smaller programs) who "have athleticism but questions about their footwork allowing them to remain at tackle" as that seems to be the Kroemer type.

On 08/02/2020 at 12:51 AM, I <3 Faulk said:

I think McVay hired Rath. 

Those sinking ship posts are getting ridiculous though. In an injury riddled, re-loading year we went 9-7. I would've given up a nut to win 9 games from Spags to Fisher.

Either a lot of our fans got too spoiled or they weren't around for Billy Devaney and his 4 pillars. 

At the same time, the Rams have now parted ways with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, running back coach Skip Peete, special teams coordinator John Fassel, assistant special teams coach Matt Daniels, assistant offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, and now strength and conditioning coach Ted Rath.

It's a lot of move for a team staff where everything is fine.... 

But again, no one ever question these move except me. Not necessary a sinking ship issue but it's suspicious that so much coach in important position are leaving either they are not retain or leaving on their own.