RamRod

General Season Talk

4 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

Is he though? He crapped himself when we needed him most.  Running Backs are easy to replace........and for his $ amount and what he brought to the table the last half of the season...I'd look to replace him or trade him

Bad take is bad.

We guaranteed Gurley $45M, he's only made a shade under $22M of that.  He's with us for the foreseeable future - 2021 is the earliest feasible out-year we have, but more realistic is 2022.  Let this be the last talk it.

44 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Would Sean Lee be worth looking into if he gets cut?

If he gets cut, sure.  I'm not rushing out to break the bank on him or anything, but I'd view him in a similar light to how I viewed the Sam Shields signing of last offseason.  If the money is right, it's not a big deal, so long as you have contingency plans in place.  If I'm simply subbing out Sean Lee for Mark Barron on a lesser contract, I'm fine with that, because I have to feel like we'd likely set ourselves up with a bit more of a contingency plan than just Micah Kiser to Sean Lee (for instance, Shields was in a situation where going into camp he was being depended on to be, at best, our CB4).

What I become more interested in is what role Wade's really deploying Lee in if we were to sign him.  By my recollection, Lee becomes a bit redundant of Littleton and the role he plays - Lee's not at a physical state at this point in his career where he's going to be running stride for stride with TE's anymore, and he wasn't a stellar (good, but not great) thumper.  He can probably fill that role in the interim (either while Kiser gets further development or while we groom someone else in that role) while being a scheme-familiar, role-responsible vet on the defense.

But as far as potential cut-candidates with experience in Wade's scheme that I'd rather pursue if they come available (though I'll admit it's a lower probability he comes available), I'd sooner go after Danny Trevathan.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, jrry32 said:

Bad take is bad.

This comes with the territory in LA imo. It's a very reactional city. 

Trade gurley? Are you nuts? His versatility is what makes the whole scheme work. Seans success has been tied to not having tendencies and having different plays all run out of the same formations. CJ Anderson ran the ball fine when he got carries, but he was utterly useless in the passing game and that really hamstrung Sean's playcalling imo. 

Cooks wasn't able to get loose and Robert woods is JAG, you guys don't have a real threat at TE and all of your running backs got hurt. Gurley's backups went down and then he did. I haven't even mentioned Cooper cupps name. Mcvay got out schemed by the best defensive coach in NFL history, bar none. Your OL may take a step back next year and that might make everyone else 'worse'. 

But a HEALTHY Todd gurley is someone you want on your roster, there is no doubt. The idea of trading him on that contact would be hilarious to me because it would show utter incompetence from your FO. Trading him one year after making him the highest paid RB in the NFL... Good idea lol 

DONT CLICK THE FOLLOWING LINK UNLESS YOU HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR 

https://imgur.com/a/EoRu2rV 

(don't say I didn't warn you) 

Edited by N4L

6 hours ago, N4L said:

This comes with the territory in LA imo. It's a very reactional city. 

Trade gurley? Are you nuts? His versatility is what makes the whole scheme work. Seans success has been tied to not having tendencies and having different plays all run out of the same formations. CJ Anderson ran the ball fine when he got carries, but he was utterly useless in the passing game and that really hamstrung Sean's playcalling imo. 

Cooks wasn't able to get loose and Robert woods is JAG, you guys don't have a real threat at TE and all of your running backs got hurt. Gurley's backups went down and then he did. I haven't even mentioned Cooper cupps name. Mcvay got out schemed by the best defensive coach in NFL history, bar none. Your OL may take a step back next year and that might make everyone else 'worse'. 

But a HEALTHY Todd gurley is someone you want on your roster, there is no doubt. The idea of trading him on that contact would be hilarious to me because it would show utter incompetence from your FO. Trading him one year after making him the highest paid RB in the NFL... Good idea lol 

DONT CLICK THE FOLLOWING LINK UNLESS YOU HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR 

https://imgur.com/a/EoRu2rV 

(don't say I didn't warn you) 

I was ready to sign on with this post until you called Robert Woods a "JAG." Come on, dude.

9 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Replacement for Barron?

We dont need another Barron, since we have Littleton, and as said before, I still think Kiser is the answer as the Early Down ILB.

Also, and has been pointed out by LBC and others, Snead has shown his hand, to maximize the Compensatory process as much as possible. But unfortunately, guys with options not picked up count as regular free agents, not like cut players

Edited by StLunatic88

4 hours ago, RamRod said:

Replacement for Barron?

I expect us to consider him. He's a guy on my list. He makes a lot of sense.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

We dont need another Barron, since we have Littleton, and as said before, I still think Kiser is the answer as the Early Down ILB.

Also, and has been pointed out by LBC and others, Snead has shown his hand, to maximize the Compensatory process as much as possible. But unfortunately, guys with options not picked up count as regular free agents, not like cut players

Marshall will be cheap enough that I don't think it'll be a big deal. He wouldn't cancel out big signings.

Interesting thought on a Rams forum today from another poster: Would we consider moving Samson Ebukam to ILB? He's been a solid OLB for us, but he arguably has the athleticism to slide inside. And he didn't look like a fish out of water when asked to drop into coverage.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Interesting thought on a Rams forum today from another poster: Would we consider moving Samson Ebukam to ILB? He's been a solid OLB for us, but he arguably has the athleticism to slide inside. And he didn't look like a fish out of water when asked to drop into coverage.

I actually did this in Madden with good success! I don't think it's a stretch but if we have other rushers it may be worth a look as he's fairly average to below average at getting pressure. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I think this was actually an option I brought up last year, that I wouldn't be surprised if one of him or Ebukam were tasked with playing the role more.  I don't know about out-and-out 3-4 ILB every down, but he's someone who can likely interchangeably move between ILB in an odd front and OLB in an even front.  Ebukam kind of reminds me of Donnie Edwards, who made a similar such transition moving from Gunther Cunningham's defense where he played SOLB to Wade's where he played ILB.

Another thing I'm just getting the gut feeling about is that while I'm sure we'd all love to see a modest trade-back in the 1st to scrounge up more picks (and most of us will likely spend the offseason projecting such in mocks), my gut is inexplicably telling me to expect the team to stand pat in the 1st unless the offer of a future 1st or 2nd is tabled as part of the discussion.  I just get the feeling that as we get nearer and nearer to Goff's extension (and that we're looking at a contract in the neighborhood of $100M given what Mahomes is likely to get from Chiefs as soon as their able) the value of being able to have those 5th year options on premium selections is going to become more and more vital.

I'm pretty tempted to commit to not projecting an trade except those outside of the 1st round when drafting up any mocks for us this season.

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

I’d welcome it. I’d also like Anthony Barr 

So would every other team in the league.  I'm not sure there's a player I'm more confident that he gets franchise tagged than Barr this offseason.