RamRod

General Season Talk

Anyone else think the whole Gurley thing is out of hand and over blown?

11 hours ago, El ramster said:

Anyone else think the whole Gurley thing is out of hand and over blown?

We just handed him a$45m guaranteed (that hasnt even kicked in yet by the way) and he wont be able to carry the load anymore? If anything we might not be making a big enough deal about this.

Mcvay said he's not hurt, Gurley said he's not hurt. 

It's a mandatory camp and he's not practicing at all...

So yes that's alarming...

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

Mcvay said he's not hurt, Gurley said he's not hurt. 

It's a mandatory camp and he's not practicing at all...

So yes that's alarming...

Alarming?  I wouldn't go that far.  He may not be hurt but it's naive to think that a guy who suffered the kind of knee injury that he did at Georgia and is showing signs of premature arthritis in said knee is everything he once was.  That said, he may well be 100%, or very close thereabouts, of what post-injury/arthritic Gurley can expect to be - which is likely still better than a majority of starting running backs in the league.  It's clear he's going to need his touches capped/limited in order to maximize the efficiency of the touches that he does get.  And that's going to be no different in the preseason tha in the regular season - probably more so.  Gurley doesn't need a ton of practice in the scheme.  The OL personnel have changed some (some, we really aren't projecting to have anyone starting on OL that wasn't on the team - and may have been getting practice reps with TGIII last season), but nothing that he wouldn't have some familiarity with.  Brown's coming back off an injury.  He needs the practice reps.  Henderson is a rookie.  He needs the practice reps.  Kelly's pass-blocking was an impetus to him getting on the field for anything meaningful last season.  He needs the practice reps.  All three of them need those reps more than Gurley does, so why is it so "alarming?"

You guys are welcome to worry about it all you want. But until we see something or hear from the Rams that there's a problem we can only go off what they're saying.

9 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

You guys are welcome to worry about it all you want. But until we see something or hear from the Rams that there's a problem we can only go off what they're saying.

I think people are looking at it like a black and white situation. Gurley will play. He will likely get 12-15 touches a game. In those touches, I believe he will be effective. But what are paying him vs. what his output will be is the major issue. He may very well be the RB2 by the end of the season based on touches and we are paying him as the top back in the league. This year will be very telling for his future in the NFL and with the Rams. But he will play and in his minimal touches, I believe he can be effective. (900yards rush, 400yards receiving, 10tds)

11 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

No, what we are going off of is the most recent data points we actually have. Gurley getting his two lowest carry totals of the season in the two most important games of the year, all while we were constantly told that he wasnt hurt, that he was fine. And now its been reported since then about the arthritic knee, and now confrimed. But were supposed to just take them at their word again?

I dont care about OTA and Preseason reps, he barely needed hem when completely healthy. But the fact that this is about to impact everytihng for this team offensively, should at the very least be raising questions, if not concerns.

Sure Gurley might still be an impact RB, but we are paying him to be the best RB in the league, the entire offense is built around him, and suddenly he might never be that player we need him to be? But sure, there's nothing to be worried about. Nothing to see here folks, all is fine.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

No, what we are going off of is the most recent data points we actually have. Gurley getting his two lowest carry totals of the season in the two most important games of the year, all while we were constantly told that he wasnt hurt, that he was fine. And now its been reported since then about the arthritic knee, and now confrimed. But were supposed to just take them at their word again?

I dont care about OTA and Preseason reps, he barely needed hem when completely healthy. But the fact that this is about to impact everytihng for this team offensively, should at the very least be raising questions, if not concerns.

Sure Gurley might still be an impact RB, but we are paying him to be the best RB in the league, the entire offense is built around him, and suddenly he might never be that player we need him to be? But sure, there's nothing to be worried about. Nothing to see here folks, all is fine.

I will also add that Gurley strengh is not only at running and passing game. It's also in the pass protection....with his condition, will he continue to block in the passing game ? 

So yes it's concerning... 

28 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I will also add that Gurley strengh is not only at running and passing game. It's also in the pass protection....with his condition, will he continue to block in the passing game ? 

So yes it's concerning... 

I dont think any of us are pulling a Chicken Little here, we have questions about this that need answers before we can fully trust in him again.

Right now everything is pointing to us going into the year rostering (and potentially game day active) 4 true RBs which is virtually unheard of in todays NFL. 

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think any of us are pulling a Chicken Little here, we have questions about this that need answers before we can fully trust in him again.

Right now everything is pointing to us going into the year rostering (and potentially game day active) 4 true RBs which is virtually unheard of in todays NFL. 

I slacked on my scouting of prospects this year (what with being the in final year of a doctorate program and all), but if Henderson offers utility as a returner (which most "home run types" tend to do), then it's not as unheard of, given that a guy like Natson stayed on the roster last year almost entirely off of his ST contributions.  I'm still not totally sold that we don't sell cheap on Kelly if Henderson out-performs him in camp and end up either swapping him for someone else's surplus or for a conditional Day 3 pick or something.