RamRod

General Season Talk

Was reading how the rams can adjust Goff’s contact like how the Eagles did wentz to create more cap space. We should be really fine. Some dude on reddit broke it down. He said Snead front loaded it and it works out perfect. 

Posted (edited)

We can free up a lot of cap space by restructuring Goff’s contrast 

and:

I hope we can trade Cooks somehow without it affecting our cap and end up paying Woods. He’s our best WR 

also I think we need to re-sign NRC because he’s going to be cheap.

hopefully Whit can come back on a team friendly deal. And if whit comes back then we should trade Havenstein

It pains me to say this but i also think we should trade Gurley or cut him and sign AP because he still has tread on his tires and he will be relatively cheap 

Edited by rocky_rams

9 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

We can free up a lot of cap space by restructuring Goff’s contrast 

and:

I hope we can trade Cooks somehow without it affecting our cap and end up paying Woods. He’s our best WR 

also I think we need to re-sign NRC because he’s going to be cheap.

hopefully Whit can come back on a team friendly deal. And if whit comes back then we should trade Havenstein

It pains me to say this but i also think we should trade Gurley or cut him and sign AP because he still has tread on his tires and he will be relatively cheap 

So we where only 1 Game out of making the playoffs and your best recommendation would be to completely blow up the offense instead of build up our depth (which was a huge issue this year)? So We Get Rid of our Starters (WR Cooks, RB Gurley, RT Hartenstein) and replace them with what?

So if we got a much improved line next year we don't think Gurley would play better than what he did this year?

Hartenstein was a really good Tackle that has a down year, injured in all and now in least than 1 year he isn't starting material? Maybe he just played hurt, because the whole line went backwards this year until later as they each got more reps. I don't know, I'm just shocked with some of the responses. Like get rid of Gurley, but Our Entire Offense Runs through Gurley!

3 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

So we where only 1 Game out of making the playoffs and your best recommendation would be to completely blow up the offense instead of build up our depth (which was a huge issue this year)? So We Get Rid of our Starters (WR Cooks, RB Gurley, RT Hartenstein) and replace them with what?

So if we got a much improved line next year we don't think Gurley would play better than what he did this year?

Hartenstein was a really good Tackle that has a down year, injured in all and now in least than 1 year he isn't starting material? Maybe he just played hurt, because the whole line went backwards this year until later as they each got more reps. I don't know, I'm just shocked with some of the responses. Like get rid of Gurley, but Our Entire Offense Runs through Gurley!

We are still really good without them. We need the cap space more than the players. 

Havenstein was inactive the last couple games even though he was healthy 

we can have sign AP to replace Gurley 

and we don’t need Cooks as much because of our 2 tight ends formation

we will have cap space to spend on edge and other positions in need 

Posted (edited)

Looks like Jay Gruden may be joining us if he doesn’t get an HC position because he said his brothers staff is already full. 

Barring any significant coaching changes, I can see him being an offensive consultant/coordinator for us 

Edited by rocky_rams

13 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Looks like Jay Gruden may be joining us if he doesn’t get an HC position because he said his brothers staff is already full. 

Barring any significant coaching changes, I can see him being an offensive consultant/coordinator for us 

I don’t think that’s good news for us lol

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I agree but if he comes on board I hope he’s a better coordinator than coach 

4 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

He actually wasn't bad in that capacity.  Dude just wasn't a great "head of the food chain" leader... in addition to being handicapped from the get-go because Snyder couldn't help himself.

People forget that when Jay Gruden was hired, Dalton (I repeat... Andy freakin' Dalton) was coming off a season where - up until an injury threw him off his pace - he was putting up performances every bit as good as what the would-be MVP was putting up.

7 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I think it's great news. Jay Gruden is an underrated offensive mind. Frankly, I think there's an argument he was a better HC than he appeared in Washington. I'd say his biggest issue was his choice of DCs. 

10 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

We are still really good without them. We need the cap space more than the players. 

Havenstein was inactive the last couple games even though he was healthy 

we can have sign AP to replace Gurley 

and we don’t need Cooks as much because of our 2 tight ends formation

we will have cap space to spend on edge and other positions in need 

Why would we sell low on Havenstein and Cooks? It makes zero sense. Havenstein of 2017 and 2018 is a very good RT. There's no reason for us to move on from him right now unless somebody makes a better than expected offer. Cooks' contract makes any trade unlikely to garner decent compensation. He's here for at least another year. People need to accept that. And his presence as the deep threat in the offense actually is important in 12 personnel. If there's trade bait at WR, it's Woods (as much as I love the guy). Gurley's contract also makes it unlikely he goes anywhere. And why would we sign Peterson?

Your rationale for getting rid of Gurley and Cooks (cap space) isn't a good one. Cutting them doesn't open up any cap space. And trading them doesn't open up much either. We have plenty of cap flexibility this year. If we want to spend, we can. But I have a feeling that we're not going to be big spenders on outside FAs right now. Wouldn't be surprised if we find a way to keep Fowler Jr., though.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Why would we sell low on Havenstein and Cooks? It makes zero sense. Havenstein of 2017 and 2018 is a very good RT. There's no reason for us to move on from him right now unless somebody makes a better than expected offer. Cooks' contract makes any trade unlikely to garner decent compensation. He's here for at least another year. People need to accept that. And his presence as the deep threat in the offense actually is important in 12 personnel. If there's trade bait at WR, it's Woods (as much as I love the guy). Gurley's contract also makes it unlikely he goes anywhere. And why would we sign Peterson?

Your rationale for getting rid of Gurley and Cooks (cap space) isn't a good one. Cutting them doesn't open up any cap space. And trading them doesn't open up much either. We have plenty of cap flexibility this year. If we want to spend, we can. But I have a feeling that we're not going to be big spenders on outside FAs right now. Wouldn't be surprised if we find a way to keep Fowler Jr., though.

I totally agree and am not worried one bit. We have a few holes (OLB, LT, ILB,C) but can be filled with guys we already have. Ramsey is already counting nearly $14 million against the cap so when he gets paid it won't be a huge hindrance. Keeping Havenstein only makes sense. Why get rid of good talent and depth? We saw this year we need that most. Adding competition will make our team that much better. Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Evans, Havenstein is a solid group up front with starting experience. Ideally I'd like to see competition at C and LT (wouldn't mind seeing Blythe back at center), but drafting two offensive linemen and signing a vet would really help stability.

Now if we resign Fowler and find an ILB, I really like our chances moving forward. I think our secondary has a chance to be really, REALLY good. Our safeties are young and showing a lot, and our corner depth is really deep. Ramsey, Hill, NRC, Darious Williams and David Long is very stout. There's a chance NRC is gone and we move Darious to the slot (though I'm not necessarily a proponent of that it could help save some $$).

I think we all agree Weddle is done. Matthews wouldn't shock me if he was cut as he couldn't tackle and I'd like to see Samson in that role, but again it's not a move that HAS to happen. Be patient and let the depth build. We were 1 missed field goal away from beating the Eagles in the Wild Card round :D.

I'm excited to see what coaching changes are made. I would like to see another offensive mind get added (and I've heard the Jay Gruden rumors which would be awesome). Another person I'm keeping an out for is if Garrett is fired from the Cowboys would be Kellen Moore. He showed me a lot this year and he helped Dak grow and that offense look way less vanilla than usual. Our offense really changed identities in the last 5 games and I'm excited to see how that grows next year!

On the defensive side, a lot of who we will look to resign/sign depends on who the DC is. If it's a Wade guy, I feel comfortable with who I'd like to retain. If not, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. More consistency is needed. We can't give up 55 points to the Buccaneers one week and hold a good SF team to 20 the next.

Edited by LARams91

13 hours ago, LARams91 said:

I totally agree and am not worried one bit. We have a few holes (OLB, LT, ILB,C) but can be filled with guys we already have. Ramsey is already counting nearly $14 million against the cap so when he gets paid it won't be a huge hindrance. Keeping Havenstein only makes sense. Why get rid of good talent and depth? We saw this year we need that most. Adding competition will make our team that much better. Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Evans, Havenstein is a solid group up front with starting experience. Ideally I'd like to see competition at C and LT (wouldn't mind seeing Blythe back at center), but drafting two offensive linemen and signing a vet would really help stability.

Now if we resign Fowler and find an ILB, I really like our chances moving forward. I think our secondary has a chance to be really, REALLY good. Our safeties are young and showing a lot, and our corner depth is really deep. Ramsey, Hill, NRC, Darious Williams and David Long is very stout. There's a chance NRC is gone and we move Darious to the slot (though I'm not necessarily a proponent of that it could help save some $$).

I think we all agree Weddle is done. Matthews wouldn't shock me if he was cut as he couldn't tackle and I'd like to see Samson in that role, but again it's not a move that HAS to happen. Be patient and let the depth build. We were 1 missed field goal away from beating the Eagles in the Wild Card round :D.

I'm excited to see what coaching changes are made. I would like to see another offensive mind get added (and I've heard the Jay Gruden rumors which would be awesome). Another person I'm keeping an out for is if Garrett is fired from the Cowboys would be Kellen Moore. He showed me a lot this year and he helped Dak grow and that offense look way less vanilla than usual. Our offense really changed identities in the last 5 games and I'm excited to see how that grows next year!

On the defensive side, a lot of who we will look to resign/sign depends on who the DC is. If it's a Wade guy, I feel comfortable with who I'd like to retain. If not, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. More consistency is needed. We can't give up 55 points to the Buccaneers one week and hold a good SF team to 20 the next.

I'd said it when we signed Weddle and it's still true now; it honestly might have been the only defensible part of his game - but his actual play doesn't merit keeping him around for this quality.  We still need our Chessmaster (I'm coining the term; I know other people have called it the "War Daddy" or the "Warlord") on defense.  Basically it's the guy who quarterbacks the defense, reads offensive pre-snap alignments and makes adjustments.  It's not just the "Green Dot" guy getting feed from the coaches on the sideline, this is the guy sets everything up.  It pretty much can't be a DL because they don't have the ability to see and communicate with the whole of the defense.  So, as of who we have on staff right now, if we don't think Rapp or JJJ can be that guy, we ought to be looking to fill one of the LB spots with such a player - that or replace NRC with such a player.

Anyone else a little worried about the changing of the logo/colors/helmet? 

I get switching up the uniforms a little, but that seems like overkill. They better not touch the horns on the helmet. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Anyone else a little worried about the changing of the logo/colors/helmet? 

I get switching up the uniforms a little, but that seems like overkill. They better not touch the horns on the helmet. 

I would be beyond SHOCKED is they went away from the horns on the helmet. They may tweak them a bit, but id bet the Horn is still involved

They could put some shading to the horn, much like the Vikings have on their horn. Or possibly the grooves on the outer edge of the decal, like some of the old school styles had. And honestly they could be just as simple as we are going with a White Helmet now (with a color decal), instead of the navy ones they have had for years. But I think the most likely new Horn would be something like what Colorado State has used. (this more inverted look of the CSU style is pretty cool, although I would mute the detail just a bit)

Screen-Shot-2017-09-03-at-12.47.27-AM.pn

The one I would hate would be if they put the Ram Eye and Snout inside the Horn (the concept is below) as it looks very XFL/Arena League.

juycgpmlg5g21.jpg

We have known that the uniform change was coming, they have to give like a 3 year notice for it. Because the Gold was a Millennium/Super Bowl/St. Louis thing. Same with the Ram's head logo, those all make sense to get refreshed.

Edited by StLunatic88