RamRod

General Season Talk

Don't understand letting Bones go, at all. He's taking a lateral position on Dallas, so it's not like we'd have to throw a crazy offer at him to get him to stay, and familiarity is severely underrated in the NFL. I hope they know what they are doing... 

11 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I have to ask though. Why? The more I think of it the less sense it makes. ST is a core unit of the team. But hey. I just don’t wanna sound like a homer saying in Mcvay I trust. That’s super annoying. 

Not sure on the logic I just don't see any reason we'd let their contracts expire coming off a SB if we wanted them to be here. Unless neither wanted back but I find that less likely. 

I was definitely on the side of it was time for Wade to go his own way. On this one Im much more "Meh"

He was a steady hand with the organization for a long time, and was a good keep when a young McVay took over for his first HC stint. But we havent been stellar on Special Teams outside of our Main guys, which Im not saying Fassel had nothing to do with, but I think Hekker and Zuerlein are pretty great talents on their own merit. Maybe he identified that talent (I dont know) but they have been very good from the start, and havent changed much since day one.

Doesnt bother me if McVay wants his own guys in here now that he has his feet under him.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:21 AM, NVRamsFan said:

Rams sign Jachai Polite to the practice squad to take Allen’s spot there.

How did I miss this when it happened?

Not that it will amount to anything, but heres hoping this is one of the lottery tickets that hits as atleast somewhat of a contributor next season

11 hours ago, JonStark said:

Don't understand letting Bones go, at all. He's taking a lateral position on Dallas, so it's not like we'd have to throw a crazy offer at him to get him to stay, and familiarity is severely underrated in the NFL. I hope they know what they are doing... 

We didn't let him go. His contract was up. He chose Dallas. I'd rather live in Dallas than LA, personally.

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

How did I miss this when it happened?

Not that it will amount to anything, but heres hoping this is one of the lottery tickets that hits as atleast somewhat of a contributor next season

Yeah, we had some intriguing guys on our PS at the end of the year: Polite, Greg Dortch, and Jeff Holland.

One theory I'll throw out, though I have no way to substantiate it.  John Harbaugh is pretty much a shoe-in to win Coach of the Year (unless they manufacture some narrative to give it to someone like Tomlin), the Saints getting iced in the 1st round of the playoffs did the same to McVay's chances for the award (he had an argument given they went close to half the season having to start a backup QB and still nearly secured a top-2 seed).  This could focus the trend of coaching hires on actually looking at ST's coaches, which teams should have been doing anyway by now, of which Bones would be a prime candidate.  So if McVay likes what he's seeing from Matt Daniels (it's a tough argument since he's only been on staff for two years and he's younger than McVay is), he's not likely to get promotional looks for at least 10 years, if he does at all.  I do feel like Sean may still be feeling the sting of having his staff raided and ransacked during the 2019 hires, and while he doesn't want to stand in the way of promotional hires, he may be trying to encourage long-term continuity in a different manner.

The last bit is why I feel like he's trying to acquaint himself with the other side of the ball as well.  We have a perennial DPOY candidate/winner on our unit who is always going to make coordinators look more impressive than perhaps they are, at the very least he'll be responsible for making sure they're more regularly featured and talked about.  At some point, the needle will swing the other way and instead of offensive head coach hires being in vogue, it'll be defense, and again... aim to keep continuity.  With Wade it was less of a threat because he's old as dirt and already underwhelmed in multiple HC opportunities.  It's legit the only knock I have against Richard is that I'm not sure how long he'd last on the staff before being poached away.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We didn't let him go. His contract was up. He chose Dallas. I'd rather live in Dallas than LA, personally

Why? We got better everything except tax laws 

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We didn't let him go. His contract was up. He chose Dallas. I'd rather live in Dallas than LA, personally.

Yeah, we had some intriguing guys on our PS at the end of the year: Polite, Greg Dortch, and Jeff Holland.

Just speculation on my part, but I feel like if we had offered him what Dallas did, he would've chosen to stay. It's not like it would've broken the bank. 

16 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Just speculation on my part, but I feel like if we had offered him what Dallas did, he would've chosen to stay. It's not like it would've broken the bank. 

Well, I respect your opinion, but it's still speculation. None of us know what he wanted.

Posted (edited)

I don't think this premise deserves it's own thread, but i want to float the idea of a longshot candidate for our Defensive Coordinator...Jerod Mayo Patriots ILB Coach.

Mayo, if you remember, was a LB in the league for years with the Pats and last year joined the Pats as an ILB coach. Clearly, he is inexperienced and would likely look for a promotion under Belicheck, but with McVay looking to have more of a say on the defense, it wouldn't shock me to bring in a more inexperienced DC that he can have say over. I full understand Mayo is a long, long shot, but someone worth keeping an eye on for any defensive positional coach hire.

Bringing in Mayo in some capacity would give us an inside track to the following FA's....

• Kyle Van Noy-3 down edge LB. Would have to replace Clay and perhaps help with replacing Fowler as well
  • Jamie Collins- Not a 3 down LB anymore, but would be much cheaper than Littleton
  • Danny Shelton- still only 26. Would be good rotationally for SBJ and Gaines
  • Elandon Roberts- Do it all special teams LB guy. Always good to have these on the team and could fill in as a run stuffing LB on a spot basis. Head and shoulders better than Troy Reeder
  • Shalique Calhoun- ooking to expand his role as more of a pass rusher. Stuck behind Van Noy and Collins last year.-
Edited by BStanRamFan

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

I don't think this premise deserves it's own thread, but i want to float the idea of a longshot candidate for our Defensive Coordinator...Jerod Mayo Patriots ILB Coach.

Mayo, if you remember, was a LB in the league for years with the Pats and last year joined the Pats as an ILB coach. Clearly, he is inexperienced and would likely look for a promotion under Belicheck, but with McVay looking to have more of a say on the defense, it wouldn't shock me to bring in a more inexperienced DC that he can have say over. I full understand Mayo is a long, long shot, but someone worth keeping an eye on for any defensive positional coach hire.

Bringing in Mayo in some capacity would give us an inside track to the following FA's....

• Kyle Van Noy-3 down edge LB. Would have to replace Clay and perhaps help with replacing Fowler as well
  • Jamie Collins- Not a 3 down LB anymore, but would be much cheaper than Littleton
  • Elandon Roberts- Do it all special teams LB guy. Always good to have these on the team and could fill in as a run stuffing LB on a spot basis. Head and shoulders better than Troy Reeder
  • Shalique Calhoun- ooking to expand his role as more of a pass rusher. Stuck behind Van Noy and Collins last year.-

I would actually love it as well as the first 3 guys listed. Honestly don't know too much about the latter two. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

My only issue is that Mayo - having never called plays aside from when he was actually playing and making defensive audibles - spent his entire career in Belichick's scheme, so it's a fair bet that that would be the scheme he'd press.  And not only does Belichick's 2-gapping scheme largely waste AD's best strengths, we don't have the personnel in the front 7 to adequately fill it out.  For the most part we have the secondary for it, but if we're insistent that we have to capitalize on still being in a Super Bowl window, as many on here have been, you don't go making drastic scheme changes to schemes that don't accentuate the strengths of your best players and that require large-scale personnel overhaul.

5 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

I mean McVay obviously has to atleast talk to him about it. But hopefully he's sending him on his way to USC

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean McVay obviously has to atleast talk to him about it. But hopefully he's sending him on his way to USC

lol he’s gonna be our DC