General Season Talk

38 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I don’t really have anywhere else to put these thoughts, and I’d like a record of them later this year haha. But I do think the coaching carousel will have an impact on the NFC West this year, so it has a tangential connection to the Rams

So we know for sure there will be 2 new Head Coaches in the NFL (even an interim taking over would be new) and I still think there will be a few more, but not many. Texans and Falcons are both pretty desirable with those offenses mostly in place right now. And while Marone is still there, that Jacksonville job being open is the worst kept secret in the league, although that’s going to be quite the undertaking. 

I would take a mulligan if I was Jerry Jones, but we all know he won’t admit failure that fast. I’m hoping Anthony Lynn hangs on, and think he will for atleast one more year. Most will call for both the Patricia in Detroit and Nagy in Chicago, feels like they get one more go each. And while I’ve heard people whisper about Cincinnati, Denver and the Giants at different parts of the season, I don’t see those happening, although there is usually a surprise. 

Unfortunately for the Jets, this years surprise might be that Gase holds onto that job. I don’t see how he could, but that would be a very Jets thing to do. But for this exercise, I’m going to say they are the 4th opening this off-season  so taking these one by one...

Houston Texans - while coming off of “offensive genius” BoB might make some hesitant to go that way again, they have invested so much in that offense (incorrectly or not) that you kind of have to pair up your new HC with DeShawn. It almost makes too much sense (which is what gives me pause that the ghost of BoB will strike one more time) that this is a lock for Eric Bieniemy. He’s a great offensive kind, and has been learning under Andy Reid for long enough that he should be successful wherever he goes. Plus giving a first time HC the nod, let’s you get a real GM and not someone who thinks they can run the whole show. They’re have to revamp that defense on the fly though  

Atlanta Falcons - feels like this could be the spot to go against the grain on the “offensive guru” trend, even though they are coming off a defensive coach. With the Offense already established, and likely entrenched for another year or two, feels like they could let Matt Ryan and Co. roll with a recycled OC trying to get back into the HC ranks. I’m thinking Robert Saleh here, feels like a very Arthur Blank move. He also feels like a guy who can turn them away from the “28-3” cloud that hovers over the franchise. They need an entire culture change, and just finding a highly touted play caller isn’t going to do that. But they could get a taste of it if Blank doesn’t insist on a veteran OC and Saleh might bring LaFluer or McDaniel with him while the other stays in SF. 

Jacksonville Jaguars - while it doesn’t seem as quick of a fix as the other two, it might be a better situation than most realize. They’ve cleaned house of the players that don’t want to be there, nor do you have to deal with old man Coughlin anymore. They don’t have any awful contracts anchoring them in cap hell, plus a few extra picks, it’s a pretty clean slate. It feels like this might be tied mostly to who they will have a chance to draft at QB, and assuming they don’t get past the Jets, that could very well be Justin Fields. If that’s the case, I could easily see them making Greg Roman their guy. Feels like he could tailor a very dynamic offense around the smooth athleticism of Fields, and he can build an impressive offense around a superstar QB without much else in high profile talent around him.

New York Jets - this could go in any number of ways, I mean it is the Jets. Although I have a feeling of how it will end up. Plenty of rising hot-shots and new offense guru types out in the coaching pool, but I think a bit of a redemption/reunion story is in the cards here. Yep I’m calling for this front office to end up going with Brian Schottenheimer. I know some Jets fans would be salty (especially Bart Scott) but there’s too much smoke. I’ve heard too many people say that Schotty has grown under Pete Carrol, and is solely responsible for letting Russ cook for there not to be some fire going on around the league. We will see how matching him up with the next QB prospect of the decade will go, or is that already doomed because it’s the Jets?

There are plenty of other good young HC candidates out there, and I hope they all get the looks before we start recycling the Steve Spagnuolo’s of the league. And I think they will in 2022 when Patricia and Nagy get the boot, as well as possible openings in Cincinnati, Denver and Minnesota. And maybe even more openings from admitted failures in Dallas and Arizona

If I'm the Jets and I have the #1 pick, I try to make a move for Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day. You have the Trevor Lawrence chip to draw them.

18 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I'd possibly lean towards them being out of a job as well if those franchises think they can get a new QB this year. Not a bad idea to get the QB and the new HC the same year instead of doing what we and others have done and give a lame duck one last year with a rookie QB. You already don't like where they coach is taking your team don't let him mess with your new young QB. 

I mean yea that’s an ideal situation, but I’m not sure they will be in any position to get those guys. The Lions may have the draft pick, but they still have Stafford, and it’s going to be hard to get out of that contract in 2021. It’s much easier in ‘22 and they would still be likely to be able to trade him for something at that point. 

Chicago has an easier path to clear up some cap space at QB, but I still think they make a run at the playoffs based on their defense and schedule. It would be hard to fire Nagy there. But add on yet another year of offensive ineptitude, and they can finally move on

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If I'm the Jets and I have the #1 pick, I try to make a move for Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day. You have the Trevor Lawrence chip to draw them.

I don’t disagree, but you are still the Jets. I don’t see either Riley or Day jumping to the NFL at this point, especially not for the Jets. Although Lawrence atleast gets them to take your phone call. 

Honestly think Day is in for the long haul as OSU. And I’m thinking Lincoln is destined to reunite with Kyler in a few years

This was my guess on what ends up happening, not who their top target should be

Edited by StLunatic88
31 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean yea that’s an ideal situation, but I’m not sure they will be in any position to get those guys. The Lions may have the draft pick, but they still have Stafford, and it’s going to be hard to get out of that contract in 2021. It’s much easier in ‘22 and they would still be likely to be able to trade him for something at that point. 

Chicago has an easier path to clear up some cap space at QB, but I still think they make a run at the playoffs based on their defense and schedule. It would be hard to fire Nagy there. But add on yet another year of offensive ineptitude, and they can finally move on

That's why I put in that caveat if they can get a QB. As for Stafford it wouldn't be that hard, less damage actually than Gurley and Cooks were for us plus they can always trade him. He has a cap hit of $35 million and only $25 million in dead cap with $10 million left of signing bonus and $15 million in a restructure left. It's a hit but doable. This all depends on the cap next year of course but it could save them some money to make the move. 

Foles being cut would leave a hit on the Bears but he's cheap enough you can keep him around for any rookie. But again I don't think either team will be picking high so it's gotta be one of those 2nd tier guys or a massive pay to trade up.  

9 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

As for Stafford it wouldn't be that hard, less damage actually than Gurley and Cooks were for us plus they can always trade him. He has a cap hit of $35 million and only $25 million in dead cap with $10 million left of signing bonus and $15 million in a restructure left. It's a hit but doable.

But the Lions decision to move on from Mathew Stafford is more than simply “is there a QB available for us”. That’s a legacy decision, especially with him still clearly being a very good player. 

If they were staring down Lawrence or Fields? Yea that’s a different conversation, but they might not even have the option of a Trey Lance come draft day, and I’m not even sure I’m moving on from Stafford for him. Zach Wilson is probably a no go as well, and you’re definitely not replacing him with Mack Jones or Kyle Trask. 

The Bears fans would welcome just about any of those guys, but I personally think if he makes it one more year (and my playoff prediction would indicate atleast one more) that Nagy has a vet in mind to just steer the offense to mediocrity while the dominant defense makes them contenders (don’t see them being patient enough with Nagy or Pace to give them the benefit of a long term project QB)

32 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Sounds like Forbath is done. Mcvay said "Have to continue to figure out this kicking situation and thats something we will address after this". Could be because of the injury to his foot but I assume he's done. 

I bet he's done too. Probably didn't like the short kickoffs either but the coverage has to be better on those. 

I was very for letting GZ walk and I'll eat crow on that idea. Luckily a kicker hasn't cost us a game yet but it's only a matter of time if it continues going like this. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I bet he's done too. Probably didn't like the short kickoffs either but the coverage has to be better on those. 

I was very for letting GZ walk and I'll eat crow on that idea. Luckily a kicker hasn't cost us a game yet but it's only a matter of time if it continues going like this. 

Yep, the injury makes it easier. One of the many kickers on practice squads right now have to be better. Hell, MacGinnis might be better. No reason to stick with a veteran who doesn't have the upside and isn't proving reliable. Also, Bonamego sucks.

• Like 1
Just now, jrry32 said:

Yep, the injury makes it easier. One of the many kickers on practice squads right now have to be better. Hell, MacGinnis might be better. No reason to stick with a veteran who doesn't have the upside and isn't proving reliable. Also, Bonamego sucks.

Frankly, looking at the list of practice squad kickers, there are a number I'd rather take my chances on than move forward with Forbath.

Dan Carpenter is a FA. I'd give him a look. Career 95.7% for extra points. Hasn't played since 2016 though.

Same with Garret Hartley. He tried signing on with XFL last season, but wasn't cleared for having an artificial disc in his neck. The XFL probably didn't want the liability issue, but NFL could just have something built into his contract to waive it. 

Not long term solutions, but I'd feel better knowing they can get us through the rest of the season making extra points and anything 40 yards and in. 

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

This might be a year of magical kickers until we get a new ST coach next year. Always hope the next guy is the answer but not sure we have one available right now. 

I think we can eventually find somebody. Just no reason too move forward with a weak-legged kicker who isn't providing reliabilty. I'll take my chances with somebody volatile who has a big leg instead.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I think we can eventually find somebody. Just no reason too move forward with a weak-legged kicker who isn't providing reliabilty. I'll take my chances with somebody volatile who has a big leg instead.

Oh I agree, you know my thoughts on Forbath already.

• Like 1

Our entire Special teams unit needs to be worked on outside of Hecker. Seemed every kick off was close to being a score for Seattle. Had a punt returned last game. Can’t make extra points. We can’t stop catching punts inside the 5. This entire unit went from one of the best ever to a below average and shaky unit that’s going to cost us a game eventually