General Season Talk

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Just noticed something listed on another site that was interesting. Jared is the only 1st round pick on offense. Yes we’ve traded away most of them since drafting him but we haven’t even traded for or signed a free agent 1st rounder.

Wow I don’t know how I never noticed that. Guys like Whit, woods, and Kupp are great and it’s easy to forget that they weren’t first rounders. Granted we haven’t had a first round picks in 75 years but we do a great job of finding talent on the second day

I like bringing in Matt Gay. Looks like MacGinnis and Gay will battle for the job. Gay had a tough rookie year, but he was a top college kicker (won the Lou Groza Award in 2017), has a big leg, and is capable of bouncing back. He's a high upside guy. We tried the low upside guy. It didn't work. Like that we're gonna swing for the fences this time.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, btfd16 said:

Getting a little tired of the “why did we let go of GZ”...

1. He wasn’t really GZ last year

2. It takes two... you can only sign a free agent if he wants to be here. He clearly wanted to be with Bones.

You’re getting tired of a legitimate question?

If the answer is as simple as “he didn’t want to be here” then fine, but no one has ever made that claim. And until we get an actual answer, swapping a reliable Kicker for a 7th round project for a team with Super Bowl aspirations is not an acceptable move

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

You’re getting tired of a legitimate question?

If the answer is as simple as “he didn’t want to be here” then fine, but no one has ever made that claim. And until we get an actual answer, swapping a reliable Kicker for a 7th round project for a team with Super Bowl aspirations is not an acceptable move

Agreed. GZ had an off year, but didn’t the whole team?? I don’t get why he gets treated differently for being a kicker. He’s bounced back this year just like everyone else on our team. If he didn’t want to stay, that’s one thing. I’d even understand if we didn’t have enough money to pay a kicker a decent amount. But if we let him walk just because he had ONE off year, then I’m a little upset. As is Mcvay I bet

2 hours ago, btfd16 said:

2. It takes two... you can only sign a free agent if he wants to be here. He clearly wanted to be with Bones.

I don't know about not wanting to be here but he did suck in 2019. And he got hurt in 2017 and 2018. It was never unreasonable to want to save cap on a player that looked like he was regressing. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't know about not wanting to be here but he did suck in 2019. And he got hurt in 2017 and 2018. It was never unreasonable to want to save cap on a player that looked like he was regressing. 

He didnt suck. He missed one kick inside 40 yards, never missed an XP, and was just as good on touchbacks as ever.

Just like I said in the offseason to everyone who wanted to move on, you didnt pay attention to the Kickers throughout the rest of the league. We are in that garbage Kicker tier now, and begging for the GZ who "sucked"

And the worst part, he is only a Cap hit of less than $2m this year, and under $3m for the next two. So even if he was expecting more from us (which I doubt it was much more because he wasnt waiting out on the market) we saved maybe $2m, probably less, to go with Sloman and waste that draft pick

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He didnt suck. He missed one kick inside 40 yards, never missed an XP, and was just as good on touchbacks as ever.

Just like I said in the offseason to everyone who wanted to move on, you didnt pay attention to the Kickers throughout the rest of the league. We are in that garbage Kicker tier now, and begging for the GZ who "sucked"

And the worst part, he is only a Cap hit of less than $2m this year, and under $3m for the next two. So even if he was expecting more from us (which I doubt it was much more because he wasnt waiting out on the market) we saved maybe $2m, probably less, to go with Sloman and waste that draft pick

He was 28th of 33 in FG% and 5/11 from 40-49. I guess he wasn't bottom 5 so that's cool. 

This isn't to say the Rams approach worked out, but moving on from someone regressing has merit. The defense had started regressing and look what switching DCs has done. 

Edited by LeotheLion
On 11/16/2020 at 10:56 AM, NVRamsFan said:

Just noticed something listed on another site that was interesting. Jared is the only 1st round pick on offense. Yes we’ve traded away most of them since drafting him but we haven’t even traded for or signed a free agent 1st rounder.

Such is the perk of running a variant of the Shanahan scheme (by this I refer more to Mike than Kyle).  The only time you ever saw Mikey spend a 1st round pick on "to-a-T" perfect fit in his scheme LT fell to him outside the Top 10 picks (Ryan Clady).  That's at least with regard to the Denver days; he did it again with a less-prototypical-to-his-scheme/more-straight-prototype in Washington with Trent Williams in 2010.

A Rams player has tested positive for Covid. Not sure who but they self quarantined immediately and all activities will take place remotely Wednesday. Hope they weren’t around anyone else.

I knew that tweet I read yesterday about the rams being one of only a few teams that haven’t had a case since the season started would jinx it lol 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, btfd16 said:

Everyone looks like a genius in hindsight...

While I’m not sure that he just didn’t want to be here, he had really regressed last year and had been getting injured quite a bit the last few years, which really isn’t something you can afford to deal with from your kicker. Between that and the fact that we were so strapped for cash, it was the right move to move on from him. Now the kicker we went with afterwards turned out to be a mistake and now we’ve got a kicking carousel going on but even looking back, I still think moving on from GZ was the right move. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

he had really regressed last year

Im going to say this again NO HE DIDNT

He went 10/18 from 40+ in 2019, not his best, but it wasnt some obscene regression, especially since one of those most important kicks I still say was good in seattle and the officials messed up. 

He was 8/12 in 2018, in his best year ever (2017) he was 18/19, but he was 5/8 in 2016 and 8/17 in 2015. So he missed an extra couple of kicks than he normally has.

Not to mention he was 100% on extra points for the first time since 2016.

And the biggest thin that McVay has been pissed about, Touchbacks, GZ had his highest % of Touchbacks on Kickoffs in his career (on the 2nd most number of KO he has ever taken)

SO all this "he sucked" and "majorly regressed" stuff is completely anecdotal, and you are all creating some revisionist history. Again, Im not calling him the best Kicker in the league, but he was still his normal self when healthy. 

1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Between that and the fact that we were so strapped for cash, it was the right move to move on from him.

Where were we strapped for cash? We are sitting at over $8m in cap space right now, because we knew we were redoing those deals.

Are you telling me that we couldn't find $2m for a reliable kicker? Because the Cowboys are paying him less than that.