General Season Talk

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

What did he say?

“Well, human nature automatically says you regret it because if the personnel that you paid that ticket to is not performing up to that standard, there is some regret,” he said. “But can we coach this guy to get back to that level of what he was? I believe it’s possible. I believe we have the coaching staff around Goff to coach him back up and give him another opportunity. But that being said, it has to come from within the player himself, if he wants it, if he’s willing. Unfortunately, what I’ve seen, just some of the body language of Goff, it doesn’t seem like he’s willing to take that path right now.”
42 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yikes. That’s basically the same thing I’ve been saying for a while. 

he def has some truth behind it but let’s hope that this “benching” recently lit a fire under him. 

think about it, you’re in LA you got this huge contract, just made the SB and are talked about in the media a lot. He saw success at a young age and he may have become too comfortable. 

he also is in a relationship. I don’t mean to hold that against him but look how single Rodgers performs vs “in a relationship” Rodgers. 

I'm personally never going take any stock on people reading into body languages. Especially Goff's body language isn't even bad. He's just isn't ever too high or low. I remember a lot of people ate of Haskins last year getting hot with his OL and thought it was a sign of leadership. Being loud doesn't equate to leadership or enthusiasm. 

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I respect his opinion, don’t really agree with it, but respect it nonetheless. 

Goff has improved in a lot of ways, and then there are certain areas where he hasn’t progressed. What’s always bothered me was his inability to take what’s given to him, and that can lead to dead balls and careless INTs. He’s had that nasty tendency since his college days, and he’s yet to advance as far as I’d like in that regard, however, a few things have to be take into consideration;

We let a deep threat WR walk in FA without a replacement: Brandin Cooks was a walking concussion waiting to happen, but defenses were scared of his speed and deep threat ability.  
Kupp and Woods were feasting a lot more when someone ( either Sammy Watkins or Cooks ) alleviated coverage in the short/intermediate range. 

We let vet lineman like Saffold leave without an adequate replacement. And we’ve had injuries along the line this year once again, though not as bad as last year. 

Overall, Goff needs to do better in taking care of the ball. We’d have at least 2 more wins if he didn’t mutate into a turnover creature from another realm... he’s got the tools to help a team win championships, but he needed to be humbled in some ways, and I think he’s starting to come around....coming off of the bench and winning a playoff game with a busted thumb, and not turn the ball over is a heck of a feat...and he appeared to be very supportive of Wolford, 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm personally never going take any stock on people reading into body languages. Especially Goff's body language isn't even bad. He's just isn't ever too high or low. I remember a lot of people ate of Haskins last year getting hot with his OL and thought it was a sign of leadership. Being loud doesn't equate to leadership or enthusiasm. 

People make that mistake a lot....what’s the old cliche? Sometimes the loudest one is the weakest one, and in Haskins case he hasn’t shown much leadership lately 

• Like 1

Did Bruce say that recently or was that in the clip where he was talking about trading for Watson? If he said it after this weekend's game, I lost a lot of respect for him.

Not to mention, reading body language is stupid. Goff is a quiet kid, and people automatically assume that he lacks passion or doesn't care. Peyton Manning had a similar mindset (no, I'm not saying he's going to be Manning so put the pitchforks away). Coming out in the media and saying that Goff doesn't want it is just ignorant. Does he need to play better? Yup. Does he need to limit turnovers? Yup, but don't give me this crap about him not caring. 

I don't question his caring/desire to be a good QB. I think he really wants to be. His father was a professional athlete so there's certainly pressure and expectations for him internally. I also don't question his toughness. Popping the thumb back in 2 weeks ago and playing 12 days (+/-) after surgery the way he did last Saturday was inspiring stuff.

I question what's between the ears. I question his decision making and ability to react under pressure. I'm well documented stating I'm ready to move on from him whenever feasible(2022-2023 I believe). I'm very open to a QB competition next season with Wolford or a draft pick(2nd-3rd). It's not personal, I respect the hell out of the kid, but curious if we can improve upon the QB play we have. If we can't, then let's ride Goff out until we can get out from under the dead cap.

*trading for Deshaun is a wet dream that will never happen*

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I don't question his caring/desire to be a good QB. I think he really wants to be. His father was a professional athlete so there's certainly pressure and expectations for him internally. I also don't question his toughness. Popping the thumb back in 2 weeks ago and playing 12 days (+/-) after surgery the way he did last Saturday was inspiring stuff.

I question what's between the ears. I question his decision making and ability to react under pressure. I'm well documented stating I'm ready to move on from him whenever feasible(2022-2023 I believe). I'm very open to a QB competition next season with Wolford or a draft pick(2nd-3rd). It's not personal, I respect the hell out of the kid, but curious if we can improve upon the QB play we have. If we can't, then let's ride Goff out until we can get out from under the dead cap.

And that's all fine. There's a lot of opinions on who Goff is as a player which are all valid, but it bugs me when someone publicly questions the character of someone who has never given them a reason to. Goff isn't the loudest person in the room, but you should have been able to see what kind of guy he was in that presser after his rookie year when he said he would get it fixed. Then for him to come out this past weekend and do what he did backs that up. 

Obviously Watson would be amazing, but it's just not realistic right now. For Bruce to throw Goff under the bus in that manner, for a situation that likely won't happen, was a bad look. 

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

And that's all fine. There's a lot of opinions on who Goff is as a player which are all valid, but it bugs me when someone publicly questions the character of someone who has never given them a reason to. Goff isn't the loudest person in the room, but you should have been able to see what kind of guy he was in that presser after his rookie year when he said he would get it fixed. Then for him to come out this past weekend and do what he did backs that up. 

Obviously Watson would be amazing, but it's just not realistic right now. For Bruce to throw Goff under the bus in that manner, for a situation that likely won't happen, was a bad look. 

Eh he said in the same statement that he thinks Goff can turn it around so we have to take into account both things he said. TMZ shoved a phone in his face and probed him and he answered honestly. Timing wasn't ideal, but there are a handful of players from this organization that I will always listen to what they have to say about the organization. Reverend Ike being one of them. 

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Yeah, Deshaun ain't happening. I think our best chance via trade for a QB to push Goff is probably Gardner Minshew. If the Jags are willing to give him up for a reasonable price, I'd make the deal. I think he's flashed, he offers more mobility and improvisation, and he would be a cheap but great backup if Goff bounces back.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, Deshaun ain't happening. I think our best chance via trade for a QB to push Goff is probably Gardner Minshew. If the Jags are willing to give him up for a reasonable price, I'd make the deal. I think he's flashed, he offers more mobility and improvisation, and he would be a cheap but great backup if Goff bounces back.

I don't hate Minshew; I'd be in favor of it. I'm curious the disparity between what he and Wolford would be. I want to see what Wolford can do with some more reps. We might get that chance this week.

• Like 1
Just now, BStanRamFan said:

I don't hate Minshew; I'd be in favor of it. I'm curious the disparity between what he and Wolford would be. I want to see what Wolford can do with some more reps. We might get that chance this week.

That's fair. If Wolford plays, maybe he'll show we don't need Minshew. Otherwise, I think Minshew has shown enough to be worth a deal. I would be surprised if the Jags keep him. Makes more sense for them to grab a veteran who can mentor Lawrence.

• Like 1

MASSIVE GRAIN OF SALT ALERT... because, you know. Stephen A on First Take: "A source texted me the Rams would be very interested in sending Goff and picks for Deshaun"..

Two reasons to be skeptical. One, it was an alleged text to Stephen A whose job is to drive clicks. Two, Houston would probably laugh in our face.

Not saying this is indicative of anything, just wanted to mention us being mentioned.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, btfd16 said:

MASSIVE GRAIN OF SALT ALERT... because, you know. Stephen A on First Take: "A source texted me the Rams would be very interested in sending Goff and picks for Deshaun"..

Two reasons to be skeptical. One, it was an alleged text to Stephen A whose job is to drive clicks. Two, Houston would probably laugh in our face.

Not saying this is indicative of anything, just wanted to mention us being mentioned.

The Rams have been involved in several huge deals and nothing ever leaks beforehand. Think this is coming from Houston to drive up the price.