Footballs Future NFL Power Rankings (Beta) - [Week 13]

Danger

Sup guys. So I did a thing? What sort of thing you might ask well, I like to mess around with Google Sheets and I made something that makes it fairly easy to make a "consensus power rankings" if you will. You can view it by clicking here.

If you'd like to like to have your rankings included you can do so in one of two ways. You can post your rankings in the thread here, OR (preferably) you can PM me your E-Mail address and I'll give you editing capabilities on the Sheet. If you'd prefer to keep that to yourself, or just don't want to be bothered, someone who can will put your rankings in for you. 

You'll enter your name along the top line as shown here:

TXjV9rV.png

After you've done that in that column that you've selected use the drop downs to rank your teams 1-32. If you have any teams on there more than once, they will be highlighted in both spots, like so.

YOMAtfV.png

When you get down to just three teams remaining they will be highlighted to the left in blue as shown here:

yB5E1EA.png

When you've completed your rankings hover over the "Rank/User" cell in the top left and click the link, it will take you to the AVG score for each team, click the drop down arrow highlighted in green (2nd image) and select 'Sort A->Z'. This will update the average rankings to include your input. 

QRmaYEg.png

BYQdO15.png

If you have any questions or suggestions or you are also good with Google Sheets, feel free to let me know here! This is still in "Beta" for the rest of the 2017 season. I've tested it out already in the Eagles forum and hope this takes off with you guys here as well.

Nice work man. I like the idea. 

A few suggestions.

1) Maybe for users that would like to participate in this but would rather not share their email address, have them post their rankings in this thread or PM any user with editing access so that they can add them in manually. Unless I'm missing something in the formulas, It would still add their count to the grand average and total as well without you having to do any additional formatting either.

2) Add an additional column for =median(GN2:GN33). I prefer this over the average when looking at where teams stand at say...11th-14th. This isn't really needed, just a personal preference is all. Which takes me to my third suggestion.

3) Add a sheet for every week. This is something else that isn't really needed either, but if this takes off with enough people involved, it would be interesting to look at previous weeks....in say...a month from now.

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Nice work man. I like the idea. 

A few suggestions.

1) Maybe for users that would like to participate in this but would rather not share their email address, have them post their rankings in this thread or PM any user with editing access so that they can add them in manually. Unless I'm missing something in the formulas, It would still add their count to the grand average and total as well without you having to do any additional formatting either.

2) Add an additional column for =median(GN2:GN33). I prefer this over the average when looking at where teams stand at say...11th-14th. This isn't really needed, just a personal preference is all. Which takes me to my third suggestion.

3) Add a sheet for every week. This is something else that isn't really needed either, but if this takes off with enough people involved, it would be interesting to look at previous weeks....in say...a month from now.

1. Hmm that sounds doable.

2. Do you mean the average in column GO? That one is necessary as it's where the average of everyone comes into play. I'm not sure what exactly your trying to suggest here exactly. :S

3. Ah that will be done, just on the Tuesday of each week after the Monday Night game.

I posted mine in the spreadsheet:

1. Philadelphia
2. New England
3. LA Rams
4. New Orleans
5. Minnesota
6. Pittsburgh
7. Seattle
8. Carolina
9. Kansas City
10. Detroit

11. Tennessee
12. Jacksonville
13. Dallas
14. Atlanta
15. Washington
16. Arizona
17. Oakland
18. Cincinnati
19. Buffalo
20. Denver

21. Green Bay
22. Baltimore
23. LA Chargers
24. Chicago
25. Houston
26. Miami
27. NY Jets
28. Tampa Bay
29. Indianapolis
30. San Francisco
31. NY Giants
32. Cleveland

I'm running a formula to do power rankings. Might as well post it here rather than having my own lame thread. Let me know if the extrua stuff makes it harder to input it into the spreadsheet and I can delete it in later rankings.

01. Philadelphia Eagles (8-1) 74.44%
02. New Orleans Saints (7-2) 72.03%
03. Los Angeles Rams (7-2) 69.69%
04. New England Patriots (7-2) 69.50%
05. Minnesota Vikings (7-2) 68.11%
06. Kansas City Chiefs (6-3) 67.78%
07. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-2) 65.56%
08. Jacksonville Jaguars (6-3) 64.75%
09. Seattle Seahawks (6-3) 62.06%
10. Detroit Lions (5-4) 61.97%
11. Atlanta Falcons (5-4) 61.83%
12. Carolina Panthers (7-3) 61.60%
13. Dallas Cowboys (5-4) 56.92%
14. Baltimore Ravens (4-5) 55.94%
15. Tennessee Titans (6-3) 55.47%
16. Buffalo Bills (5-4) 54.36%
17. Los Angeles Chargers (3-6) 52.72%
18. Green Bay Packers (5-4) 50.00%
19. Houston Texans (3-6) 49.28%
20. New York Jets (4-6) 47.20%
21. Oakland Raiders (4-5) 47.08%
22. Chicago Bears (3-6) 46.58%
23. Washington Redskins (4-5) 46.08%
24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-6) 43.06%
25. Miami Dolphins (4-5) 42.92%
26. Arizona Cardinals (4-5) 41.61%
27. Cincinnati Bengals (3-6) 41.25%
28. Indianapolis Colts (3-7) 40.03%
29. San Francisco 49ers (1-9) 38.10%
30. Denver Broncos (3-6) 33.94%
31. New York Giants (1-8) 30.25%
32. Cleveland Browns (0-9) 27.94%

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Curious what the % represents.

It's just a formula based on strength of schedule and margin of victory/loss.

Loss of 9+: 0 points
Loss of 4-8: 0.75 points
Loss of 1-3: 1.5 points
Tie: 2 points
Win of 1-3: 2.25 points
Win of 4-8: 2.5 points
Win of 9+: 3 points

Then you factor in your opponents' win %. For example the Broncos lost to the Giants who, without their victory over Denver, are 0-8. So when doing that game, the Giants have a win % of 0. The Broncos lost by 9+. Therefore, Denver gets 0 points for that game. Denver is 3-5 without the results of that game so the Giants get 3 points for a blowout win and another 0.375 points since that is Denver's win % for a total of 3.38. Similarly, if you get blown out by a team who is undefeated, you get 1 point. If you blow out a winless team you get 3 points. Etc. Anyway I add all this up and do some division and whatnot to get the % points. Highest score is 07 Patriots with 81%. Lowest is 76 Bucs with 19%.

Anyway. It isn't perfect since it doesn't take injuries into account, teams benching players late in the season, etc... but it isn't terrible. Buffalo and Dallas really tanked this week. Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, and Panthers all won and are now even closer to each other than they were last week (only 0.46% separates them). Chargers are 3-6 but are higher than the 5-4 Packers... lots of close losses for them.

I can't seem to see my selections on there. If they've been wiped, maybe you could cement them back in Danger? My rankings (as of now....I assume this can roll?);

1. Philadelphia
2. New England
3. Pittsburgh
4. New Orleans
5. LA Rams
6. Minnesota
7. Kansas City
8. Carolina
9. Jacksonville
10. Seattle

11. Dallas
12. Tennessee
13. Washtington
14. Atlanta
15. Detroit
16. Oakland
17. Buffalo
18. Baltimore
19. Arizona
20. Denver

21. LA Chargers
22. Cincinnati 
23. Green Bay 
24. Chicago
25. Houston
26. Miami
27. NY Jets
28. Tampa Bay
29. Indianapolis
30. San Francisco
31. NY Giants
32. Cleveland

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Updated mine

you overwrote the previous weeks rankings.

I'll be making the week 12 rankings after the game tonight. It'd be best to put them in the new tab for week 12 after that and leave your week 11 stuff as it is.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

you overwrote the previous weeks rankings.

I'll be making the week 12 rankings after the game tonight. It'd be best to put them in the new tab for week 12 after that and leave your week 11 stuff as it is.

Wow.. I had no idea they were separated by week.. I'm a moron

Archived