Cooper Kupp V DeVante Adams

mdonnelly21

Cooper Kupp V DeVante Adams   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Cooper Kupp V DeVante Adams

• Cooper Kupp
    • DeVante Adams

Just now, NYRaider said:

Cooper Kupp has put up 2 1,000 yard seasons in his career, lol. 

2/5 = 40%

3/8 = 37.5%

Of course, I didn't just claim Cooper Kupp is headed for Canton. Although, I will again point out that Cooper Kupp is coming off a season that dwarfs any season of Davante's. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

2/5 = 40%

3/8 = 37.5%

Of course, I didn't just claim Cooper Kupp is headed for Canton. Although, I will again point out that Cooper Kupp is coming off a season that dwarfs any season of Davante's. 

Kupp's season was the greatest in NFL history, Adams has been at the top of the league for a longer period. Let's see if Kupp can even get close to replicating it next year before we crown him as the best WR in the NFL. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Kupp's season was the greatest in NFL history, Adams has been at the top of the league for a longer period. Let's see if Kupp can even get close to replicating it next year before we crown him as the best WR in the NFL. 

Adams was at the top of the NFL for one year, 2020. Cooper Kupp surpassed him by a mile in 2021. And Adams had great production in 2018, but he was overshadowed by DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Tyreek Hill. Again, we're not talking about Randy Moss here. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Adams (71 games): 506 receptions, 6,195 yards, 57 TD

Kupp (71 games): 433 receptions, 5,517 yards, 40 TD

Yep that includes his first two years where he had 13 starts. In Adams' first 2 years he had 9 more starts and 500 less yards.

But lets ignore his first two years with 900 total yards and include Kupps because it takes using that timeline to show Adams has better bulk stats over a time period.

Do 1 year. Do 2 years. Do 3 years. Do their whole career. Or would that hurt the statistical argument.

Yards after catch isn't close either. There was a season, 4 years ago where Kupp didn't at least double the broken tackles of Adams.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Adams was at the top of the NFL for one year, 2020. Cooper Kupp surpassed him by a mile in 2021. And Adams had great production in 2018, but he was overshadowed by DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Tyreek Hill. Again, we're not talking about Randy Moss here. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yep that includes his first two years where he had 13 starts. In Adams' first 2 years he had 9 more starts and 500 less yards.

But lets ignore his first two years with 900 total yards and include Kupps because it takes using that timeline to show Adams has better bulk stats over a time period.

Do 1 year. Do 2 years. Do 3 years. Do their whole career. Or would that hurt the statistical argument.

Yards after catch isn't close either. There was a season, 4 years ago where Kupp didn't at least double the broken tackles of Adams.

Over the last four seasons...

Adams:

• 432 receptions (1st in the NFL)

• 5,310 receiving yards (1st in the NFL)

• 47 TDs (1st in the NFL)

ETA: If you move it to 5 years he is still first in every category except catches, he's #2 behind Keenan Allen, lol.

Edited by NYRaider

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Over the last four seasons...

Adams:

• 432 receptions (1st in the NFL)

• 5,310 receiving yards (1st in the NFL)

• 47 TDs (1st in the NFL)

ETA: If you move it to 5 years he is still first in every category except catches, he's #2 behind Keenan Allen, lol.

Cherry-picking aside, we're still talking about the best WR today. Cooper Kupp's 2021 season blew Adams's out of the water.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Cherry-picking aside, we're still talking about the best WR today. Cooper Kupp's 2021 season blew Adams's out of the water.

I'll take Adams being the most productive player over a 5 year sample size over a 1 year outlier considering Kupp wasn't even considered a top 15 WR before last year. Josh Gordon had a season that he was more productive than Kupp on a per game basis, was he the best WR in the NFL?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'll take Adams being the most productive player over a 5 year sample size over a 1 year outlier considering Kupp wasn't even considered a top 15 WR before last year. Josh Gordon had a season that he was more productive than Kupp on a per game basis, was he the best WR in the NFL?

Was Josh Gordon the best WR in the NFL? No, a guy named Calvin Johnson was. Davante Adams wasn't the best WR in the NFL in 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2021. At best, he was the best WR in the NFL for a single year, 2020. Then, Cooper Kupp emerged with his new QB, posted arguably the best WR season of all time, and took the mantle, which he still has. Somebody might take it away in the future, like Kupp did to Adams. But right now, the answer is Cooper Kupp. Deal with it.

• Like 1

You can talk about statistic all the time but the real question is what can Adams do, that Kupp couldn't and vice versa. 

And i think Kupp is a better all around tool WR than Adams.....he's better at running route, he can also block and that's very important. 

Adams is great but i don't think he's helping much in the running game and he played with Rodgers all the time so that helps for statistic. 

If Kupp was playing every year with Stafford, he would be already at the HOF. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Adams (71 games): 506 receptions, 6,195 yards, 57 TD

Kupp (71 games): 433 receptions, 5,517 yards, 40 TD

Yeah but you have to admit there was a clear difference in the QB who was throwing to Kupp. 

This is the first year that Kupp has had a top 10 QB in the league, and he's still not even Aaron Rodgers league and nowhere close. 

My expectations is that Kupp is probably somewhere right between his 2020 season and 2021 season, but if he reels a few of those together we are talking about someone on the way to the HOF 

Really tough call and could see Packers/Raiders fans taking Adams and Rams fans taking Kupp but, as a neutral party*, I am going to go with Kupp.

The argument for Adams is that he's been productive longer, but over their career Kupp has been more productive per game. That is, to be fair, in part due to Adams not breaking out his first few years. If we remove the early years and just compare "primes", it's a coin flip. 

Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
1 Davante Adams 2016 2021 0.0 0.0 0.0 6.7 82.7 0.8
2 Cooper Kupp 2019 2021 0.2 1.1 0.0 6.9 85.0 0.6

Kupp clearly has the best season statistically during this stretch and also has the worst, but the worst seasons are very close and the best seasons are far apart. I understand the argument for wanting to see more than 1 year of best-in-league play, but there are certain seasons (e.g. Mahomes '18) that obviously demonstrate a different level of ability. And it's not like Kupp is a 33 year old who hit a Brady Anderson random year - the guy put up 1160 + 10 TD with Jared Goff at QB. Adams has posted similar stats being force fed by arguably the best QB in the game.

* - Raider hater I guess, but I still like Adams until I see him wear the jersey

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

One final point, there's a very reasonable argument that Davante Adams was only the fifth-best WR in 2021. Who was better? Cooper Kupp, Justin Jefferson, Deebo Samuel, and Ja'Marr Chase.

I actually agree on Kupp and Samuel.

----

Jefferson seems like you are starting to reach.

Rush Rush Rush Rece Rece Rece
Rk Player Year Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
1 Davante Adams 2021 0.0 0.0 0.0 7.7 97.1 0.7
2 Justin Jefferson 2021 0.4 0.8 0.0 6.4 95.1 0.6

----

Chase seems like you are an absolute Adams hater lol

Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
1 Davante Adams 2021 2021 0.0 0.0 0.0 7.7 97.1 0.7
2 Ja'Marr Chase 2021 2021 0.4 1.2 0.0 4.8 85.6 0.8

I assume the only argument here is playoff success, but the problem with that is that while Chase certainly had a better year in the playoffs, it was only marginally better per game than Adams' 9/90 this year and it also completely destroys the Jefferson argument because Jefferson put up 0 for 0 sitting at home. 

I think you could creatively argue for #4, but #5 is absolute Stephen A Smith level blasphemy lol

Edited by Soggust

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Was Josh Gordon the best WR in the NFL? No, a guy named Calvin Johnson was. Davante Adams wasn't the best WR in the NFL in 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2021. At best, he was the best WR in the NFL for a single year, 2020. Then, Cooper Kupp emerged with his new QB, posted arguably the best WR season of all time, and took the mantle, which he still has. Somebody might take it away in the future, like Kupp did to Adams. But right now, the answer is Cooper Kupp. Deal with it.

Kupp will regress back to non-top 15 WR, Adams been doing it for years baby.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Great point, Thomas. Kupp is averaging more yards per game, more yards per catch, more yards per target, has a better catch rate, and has more receptions per game.

Over the last 3 seasons, they've averaged:

Kupp: 110 receptions, 1361 receiving yards, 10 TD receptions
Adams: 107 receptions, 1308 receiving yards, 11 TD receptions

Adams has been more consistent, Kupp is more productive right now.  If you were to prefer Kupp to Adams moving forward, I wouldn't fight you at all.  But I also want to see Kupp continue to produce at the rate he did this past season.  His production this year was similar to the previous two years combined.

• Like 3