A Look at the NFL's Home Field Advantages

RandyMossIsBoss

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjvqihcNb--nbY5yIoMB4NrsaJY

(let me know if link doesn't work)

A look at how every team has fared in their current stadium. Newer stadiums were not included as the sample size is too small. A couple of observations I had

• The Cowboys are currently the only team without a home field advantage. They actually lose 5% more at home. They also are the only team that either scores less, or allows more points, at home, allowing 6% more points at home. 
  • The Lions win an NFL best 78% more at home than on the road (45% win rate at home, just 25% on the road).
  • The Seahawks have the biggest gap between home winning% and road winning%, 73% at home vs 42% on the road.
  • There doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between region or whether the stadium is a dome or not.

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

There doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between region or whether the stadium is a dome or not.

I have been saying this for literally, decades. Despite what the media has programmed into people thinking with their "dome vs outdoor stats".

I think it only applies teams heavily in certain stadiums imo.

Arrowhead, The 12th Man, Mile High, Lambeau Field, the Superdome, and to a degree Gillette Stadium all get REALLY loud

The Black Hole, MetLife Stadium, and Lincoln Financial are all nasty fanbases to play in front of too.

7 hours ago, riceman80 said:

I think it only applies teams heavily in certain stadiums imo.

Arrowhead, The 12th Man, Mile High, Lambeau Field, the Superdome, and to a degree Gillette Stadium all get REALLY loud

The Black Hole, MetLife Stadium, and Lincoln Financial are all nasty fanbases to play in front of too.

gillette is never loud

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

It seems in general that East Coast teams going West/Midwest is a much bigger disadvantage than vice versa.

West/Midwest HFA% average - 48.2%
All others HFA% average - 29.3%

How many in each category? I feel like there would be more Eastern teams?

My team,  the NEW YORK GIANTS!!!!!!, have added a new category to this phenomenon: the Inverse Home Field Advantage. As bad as they are on the road (1-3), they're actually worse (0-4) at home. Visiting teams, mark your calendars for upcoming dates at the Meadowlands!

Image result for Eli Apple gives up on Robert Woods touchdown

Does anyone think that the actual stadium/crowd could matter less than the team themselves? 

Is it possible some teams or players just don’t travel well? That could be because of the way the team accommodates the players before and after flights, or whatever. Also, some teams probably spend a lot more time in the air than others (not going to track this myself). Dallas has 3 away games to Washington, Philly, and NJ, much longer trips than those 3 have when playing each other. Not sure that helps my argument since the Cowboys typically play well on the road, but you get the point. 

I’m not really arguing this point, just trying to dive a little deeper into the topic. 

On 11/9/2017 at 10:55 AM, bzane said:

mark your calendars for upcoming dates at the Meadowlands!

Except if your team is the Redskins. We always play like crap in the Meadowlands (doesn't matter if it is against the Giants or the Jets).

On 11/9/2017 at 1:24 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Does anyone think that the actual stadium/crowd could matter less than the team themselves? 

Is it possible some teams or players just don’t travel well? That could be because of the way the team accommodates the players before and after flights, or whatever. Also, some teams probably spend a lot more time in the air than others (not going to track this myself). Dallas has 3 away games to Washington, Philly, and NJ, much longer trips than those 3 have when playing each other. Not sure that helps my argument since the Cowboys typically play well on the road, but you get the point. 

I’m not really arguing this point, just trying to dive a little deeper into the topic. 

I tend to agree with this notion as well, that it's generally more of a road disadvantage than a home advantage at play. Once the game begins, the only real advantage the home team has is what essentially amounts to background noise control. 

Archived