A Look at the NFL's Home Field Advantages

RandyMossIsBoss

Loud stadiums like Seattle can be hard for visitors mainly because they can't hear themselves think and the Seahawks defense has been so good.  

The altitude in Denver can be an disadvantage for the visiting team because if you aren't used to it you can get winded pretty easily.

But other than situations like these HFA isn't as big a factor than how good the home team actually is.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:33 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

I have been saying this for literally, decades. Despite what the media has programmed into people thinking with their "dome vs outdoor stats".

This thread has to do with home field advantage, not anything to do with other dome vs. outdoor stats. Offenses score more and QBs do better in domes or retractable roofs - that's just a fact.

4 hours ago, childofpudding said:

This thread has to do with home field advantage, not anything to do with other dome vs. outdoor stats. 

Read again....

On 11/8/2017 at 11:26 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

There doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between region or whether the stadium is a dome or not.

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

Loud stadiums like Seattle can be hard for visitors mainly because they can't hear themselves think and the Seahawks defense has been so good.  

The altitude in Denver can be an disadvantage for the visiting team because if you aren't used to it you can get winded pretty easily.

But other than situations like these HFA isn't as big a factor than how good the home team actually is.

You have no idea how loud this stadium is until you've been there. Buddy and me were there for that Texans/Seahawks game of the year. Wow. Even sitting next to each other a foot apart, we couldn't hear each other. It's like being in front of the speakers at a rock concert, but the whole stadium is the speaker!

On 11/12/2017 at 8:11 PM, biletnikoff said:

I ment over all seasons and playoff berths :) . You don' have to wait that long in their case. I picked SF to win today and ATl.  Both home teams!

@biletnikoff- And I, Freddy, was referring to their current situation, viz. the 2017 season which is now ongoing, rather than the past, or the future. But thanks to your kind words I shall continue to hope! Ominously, they are heavy underdogs at home vs. the Kansas City Chiefs this week, but perhaps they will fool the experts and fulfill your expectations.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11/15/16652994/giants-chiefs-2017-week-11-odds-gambling-point-spread-giants-double-digit-underdogs

3 hours ago, bzane said:

@biletnikoff- And I, Freddy, was referring to their current situation, viz. the 2017 season which is now ongoing, rather than the past, or the future. But thanks to your kind words I shall continue to hope! Ominously, they are heavy underdogs at home vs. the Kansas City Chiefs this week, but perhaps they will fool the experts and fulfill your expectations.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11/15/16652994/giants-chiefs-2017-week-11-odds-gambling-point-spread-giants-double-digit-underdogs

Well, I picked them to lose..so yes, I hope they fulfill my expectations :)

@biletnikoff- Ah, Freddy! Your Faith, and Hope, and Optimism have proven to be justified! The Giants, perhaps buoyed by your support, managed to upset the Kansas City Chiefs, and, at home, in the unfriendly confines of breezy Met-Life Stadium!

I still do not think the Giants can be mistaken for an offensive juggernaut, BUT, your Belief in their ability to regain a home-field advantage was right!

Kudos.

Archived