Which of these has more of an impact?

Hunter2_1

More of an impact on winning  

48 members have voted

1. 1. CB vs Pass rusher

• Shut down cornerback
    • Elite pass rusher

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If you were building a franchise, and QB was already set - which one of these would garner your top pick?

A shut down corner. You can scheme around a great pass rusher (Unless they have 2) but a shutdown corner pretty much takes out your most important option. 

9 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Shut down corner. See how Lattimore is transforming NO's defense, directly leading to winning games. Can't be said for, say, Mack and the Raiders or Miller and Denver. It's an easy one for me. 

The same can be said conversely about Corner. Nnamdi Asomugha was a beast but the Raiders never cracked the top 10 with him and were usually close to the BOTTOM.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

The same can be said conversely about Corner. Nnamdi Asomugha was a beast but the Raiders never cracked the top 10 with him and were usually close to the BOTTOM.

I think we've seen more occasions where teams with an elite corner make it, compared with teams with one elite pass rusher, no? It's hard to measure, because there's not a great deal of either. 

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

I think we've seen more occasions where teams with an elite corner make it, compared with teams with one elite pass rusher, no? It's hard to measure, because there's not a great deal of either. 

Robert Mathis, Michael Strahan.

42 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Shut down corner. See how Lattimore is transforming NO's defense, directly leading to winning games. Can't be said for, say, Mack and the Raiders or Miller and Denver. It's an easy one for me. 

That's Bs.

look at the raiders when they had prime Nnamdi. 

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

That's Bs.

look at the raiders when they had prime Nnamdi. 

So that counteracts Revis' Jets, and Lattimore's Saints does it? How about Watt's Texans never making it further whilst having him compared when he's not there. Give me the shut down corner. 

43 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Give me pass rusher. Who is regarded as the best CB over the past couple of years? Peterson? Sherman? Harris?

I'm taking Mack, Miller, or Watt over any of those three if I had my pick to start my defense.

I guess it's those three, yeah. All of whom have been to a superbowl fairly recently....

Shut down corner. You can't scheme around your best receiving threat being gone. You can gameplan around a pass rusher. Double team's, shorter throws, more runs, eventually you'll tire them out or make them adjust and open up new options. 

Granted it depends on the make up of a team. If I have a really good d line and an elite pass rusher is on it, I take that probably. Likewise a run first team won't fade much about a shutdown guy. But most elite teams aren't built that way. 

Archived