Lane Johnson is the "Least Helped" OT in Football

Phire

According to Pro Football Focus, Johnson has received help via a blocking tight end or chipping running back on just 16.6 percent of snaps this season. 

"He's off the charts right now," Stoutland said Tuesday at the NovaCare Complex. "I just think he's made his mind up that he wants to be a dominating player. Whatever that takes from his standpoint. Whether that's meetings, from the time he walks in to the time he leaves here every day, it's all business for Lane. Lane's a worker."

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

If anyone has access to PFF, I would be curious to see how the Eagles RBs rank in pass blocking efficiency.  Johnson is clearly good but I wonder if he's not getting more help because there isn't help to send.  

Jason Peters is at 25% according to that chart. So there's definitely help to send if we need to. We have three active TEs as well.

I expect most of the help to go to Vaitai now, Lane ain't gonna get much help the rest of the year. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

If anyone has access to PFF, I would be curious to see how the Eagles RBs rank in pass blocking efficiency.  Johnson is clearly good but I wonder if he's not getting more help because there isn't help to send.  

Blount is one of the worst pass blocking RBs in football, and we were using Smallwood on third down mostly because he was the best of the worst when it comes to blocking. A lot of people said we brought in Ajayi in part because we needed a lot of help with pass blocking from the RBs. Was mentioned multiple times in the trade thread.

I don't have PFF, but these are my observations.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

Jason Peters is at 25% according to that chart. So there's definitely help to send if we need to. We have three active TEs as well.

I expect most of the help to go to Vaitai now, Lane ain't gonna get much help the rest of the year. 

I'm not trying to slight Lane.  For instance Trent Williams AND Morgan Moses are on that list.  Williams I understand, and Moses is pretty good.  But I'm betting the lack of support is due to the fact that Chris Thompson is tiny and can't block all that well.  

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Blount is one of the worst pass blocking RBs in football, and we were using Smallwood on third down mostly because he was the best of the worst when it comes to blocking. A lot of people said we brought in Ajayi in part because we needed a lot of help with pass blocking from the RBs. Was mentioned multiple times in the trade thread.

I don't have PFF, but these are my observations.

Ya that's what I was thinking.  Usually when you see these really high numbers (or low in this case) there's other factors involved.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Ya that's what I was thinking.  Usually when you see these really high numbers there's other factors involved.  

Yeah, I really don't think this number means all that much. I mean it strengthens his argument that he is one of the best as he is still dominating with less help, but I don't think it can be used as an argument to drag down the people below him.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not trying to slight Lane.  For instance Trent Williams AND Morgan Moses are on that list.  Williams I understand, and Moses is pretty good.  But I'm betting the lack of support is due to the fact that Chris Thompson is tiny and can't block all that well.  

I get what you're saying, and I think it's a good point. I didn't construe it as a slight at all. In fact, these numbers are probably wonky, the PFF guy cited "double team" as "help" but there are some plays where there are combo blocks and double teams by design, not specifically to help.

I could see a guy like Chris Thompson or even having Jordan Reed not being able to help much. But I don't know if the Eagles are in the same boat. We have a ton of RBs and TEs; at this point, a guy like Celek is mainly brought in to help block. Our tackles definitely are being left on an island. Maybe your OTs need to be given some credit for that too.

Archived