How to make the Lakers Great Again

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think the Lakers are one off-season away from fixing this mess. I would be impressed if they avoided the play in next year in the good way. 

They're just in a weird spot because they basically have to try and make whatever desperate moves that they can to be competitive in LeBron's last year with the team. But at what cost in terms of future assets? I also can't imagine LeBron would allow them to trade him to another team who would have to gut their assets to acquire him.

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

There are virtually no good trades for Westbrook. The Hornets one would be a dream if the Hornets are that stupid. 

Maybe Randall/Rose/Reddish for the Knicks to cut salary. I'd actually do that if  I were the Knicks, not sure if the Lakers would. 

The Hornets are interested in that deal according to Shams. Bridges is due for an extension, LaMelo will be up very soon as well, and neither Hayward/Rozier really fit their timeline. They'd be shedding like $40M in salary going forward while adding two young assets in THT plus an additional 1st round pick. 

16 hours ago, roger murdock said:

There are virtually no good trades for Westbrook. The Hornets one would be a dream if the Hornets are that stupid. 

Maybe Randall/Rose/Reddish for the Knicks to cut salary. I'd actually do that if  I were the Knicks, not sure if the Lakers would. 

bingo. I see Knicks and Hornets as options. Personally I would trade Lebron and Westbrook, but I dont that happens. Lebron doesn't even play defense anymore, and is injury prone. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

bingo. I see Knicks and Hornets as options. Personally I would trade Lebron and Westbrook, but I dont that happens. Lebron doesn't even play defense anymore, and is injury prone. 

The Pacers are apparently an option as well. You cannot trade the GM, lol.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:30 PM, Deadpulse said:

I dont think the Lakers are one off-season away from fixing this mess. I would be impressed if they avoided the play in next year in the good way. 

Yeah thinking about this, even if they're able to get Westbrook off for a good package (Brogdon/Buddy) or (Hayward/Rozier) I still think it will be tough for them to build depth because the allure of chasing a ring there is pretty much gone now too. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, roger murdock said:

It's not actually that bad for Charlotte. You can send Westbrook home like Houston did to Wall, get out of two longer bigger deals, and have tons of cap to use to build around Ball/Bridges the next offseason while getting at least one pick in return.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:30 PM, Deadpulse said:

I'm not sure they're fixing it in one offseason, but I also don't think the Lakers are an unsalvageable mess either.  And despite the opinion otherwise, I think having a HUGE expiring contract in Russell Westbrook is a valuable piece.  It's effectively a get out of jail free card of sorts.  I proposed this trade on a different forum, and I think it's got merit but it needs picks added to the puzzle.

LA Lakers Get:
PG Terry Rozier
SG Buddy Hield

Charlotte Hornets Get:
PG Russell Westbrook

Indiana Pacers Get:
SF Kelly Oubre

Mason Plumlee or PJ Washington would need to be dealt as well to make the salaries work.  Both LA Lakers and Indiana could "swallow" them, but I'd lean towards LA.  Charlotte gets out of Rozier's contract, and probably gets a FRP in return.  Indiana gets significant cap savings now and in the future by getting rid of Hield's contract.  Lakers get a much better backcourt fit, but are terrible defensively.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure they're fixing it in one offseason, but I also don't think the Lakers are an unsalvageable mess either.  And despite the opinion otherwise, I think having a HUGE expiring contract in Russell Westbrook is a valuable piece.  It's effectively a get out of jail free card of sorts.  I proposed this trade on a different forum, and I think it's got merit but it needs picks added to the puzzle.

LA Lakers Get:
PG Terry Rozier
SG Buddy Hield

Charlotte Hornets Get:
PG Russell Westbrook

Indiana Pacers Get:
SF Kelly Oubre

Mason Plumlee or PJ Washington would need to be dealt as well to make the salaries work.  Both LA Lakers and Indiana could "swallow" them, but I'd lean towards LA.  Charlotte gets out of Rozier's contract, and probably gets a FRP in return.  Indiana gets significant cap savings now and in the future by getting rid of Hield's contract.  Lakers get a much better backcourt fit, but are terrible defensively.

In this scenario LeBron likely bolts next year in free agency how are you guys going to fix it without having to tank again?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

In this scenario LeBron likely bolts next year in free agency how are you guys going to fix it without having to tank again?

I think the Rozier/Hayward combination is DOA for that reason.  But I think a lineup with Rozier, Hield, LBJ, and AD is a contender.  You're basically having him choose a potential championship over playing with his son.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think the Rozier/Hayward combination is DOA for that reason.  But I think a lineup with Rozier, Hield, LBJ, and AD is a contender.  You're basically having him choose a potential championship over playing with his son.

AD has missed half of the year and LeBron has missed a third of the year in each of the last two seasons. I just don't think that you can assume either guy is going to stay healthy. And as we saw this year you guys just didn't have the depth or scoring without them to remain competitive enough to make a playoff push. I also don't see too many ring chasers wanting to come to LA to be LeBron's fall boys after what has happened recently. 

I don't even know if Bronny will be good enough to just jump straight to the league. I honestly see him going back to Cleveland to close it out and then maybe wherever his son ends up.