The "What I Probably Would Not Do" Mock

xrade

I rarely do mocks mainly because my views align pretty closely to many mocks presented.  Why repeat them.  But this year, being that we don't have as many holes in a long time, we may actually draft BPA vs need.  Understand that this is what I think JD will do as opposed to what I'd like to see, as evident by the thread title.  This will become apparent with the first pick.

R1. #4 - Jermaine Johnson, Edge - Hutch, Thibs and Neal are off the board.  I am ambivalent about JJ only because I see him more as the next Mingo than Von Miller.  But, what do I know.  My choice would be Sauce, but Edge is a bigger need.  Saleh and Co. saw him first hand at the Senior Bowl in which he did very well.  If Saleh and JD are comfy with the pick, I can learn to like it.

R1. #10 - Jameson Williams, WR - If Sauce or Hamiton is available, they may be the choice but since they will both be gone we look at WR. I have Wilson off the board and Williams in JD's 1B WR.  THe good thing is that he can fully heal since we are not desperate for him to get on the field day 1.  Of course this assumes his medicals check out.

R. 2 #35 - Lewis Cine, S - He can play FS or closer to the LoS.  He will most likely play the deep CF role with Whitehead playing closer to the line.

R.2 #38 - Travis Jones, DT - Barring a trade down at this point, here is another player Saleh and Co. coached at the Senior Bowl.  With the rotation Saleh employs we need decent depth at iDL.  Here is a starting caliber player that people will be wondering why he wasn't a FRP in a few years.  He may not last this long so its entirely possible he is gone in which case DeMarvin Leal would be the pick.

R.3 #69 - Abraham Lucas, OT - The Washington State OT is an under appreciated OT by the fans and media, but make no mistake, FO's know his name.  He does not need to come in and start so he gets to learn how to be an NFL player without the pressure of producing on the field.  He will most likely replace Fant at RT in 2023 and provides some insurance in case of injury.  JD will not go into the 2022 season without a viable backup / future starting OT.  Saleh coached him in the SB.

R.4 #111 -Alec Lindstrom, C - I think this is a steal at this point.  Will be our starting OC in 2023.

R.4 #117 - Jeremy Ruckert, TE - A LB would be great here, but all the best are off the board at this point.  In keeping with the BPA theme, JD drafts a future starting TE.  Ruckert is an all around TE good at a lot but great at a few.  He is a guy that will play for 10 years without anyone really knowing his name but getting meaningful playing time.  Another SB player coached by Saleh.

R.5 #146 -D'Marco Jackson, ILB - The Appalachian State product produced very well but his small school standing hurts his draft stock.  He may never be more than a ST contributor or rotational LB.

R.5 #163 - Hassan Haskins, RB - Another SB player coached by Saleh.  He will find a home as our short yardage and goal line RB.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheGDJets said:

Love it, would prefer Harris or Muma instead of Jones in the 2nd though.

I hear you. But, I’m not so sure Saleh is big on spending high on LB and with CJ and Quincy starting the season, I don’t think JD would draft one that high. Jones, on the other hand, is more of a need, played well for Saleh at the SB, and fills more of a position of need even if some think JFM will kick inside permanently. I believe Saleh really like penetrating iDL. 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I’d be on board, honestly think JD could whip up something like this. Giver me Brisker over Cine tho

6 of one, half dozen of the other. Brisker would be fine as well as long as we come away with a starting caliber S that can play deep. I only chose Cine because he was better at pass breakups than Brisker.  Either one I am good with. 

After round 2 it is kind of all guess work.  Yes, he could go in round 3 but I think his lack of receiving production at OSU will drop him a bit.  Some mock draft sites have him going in round 3 and some in round 5.  I also think Lindstrom will go higher than round 4 but it is possible he slips.  The main take away are our first 4 picks and the positions we may address in rounds 3 and later.

Very acceptable with a few minor indulges 1. I love Williams at WR, but can the Jets wait until half the season to work him slowly back into team activities? They may have to double dip at WR in round 2 to offset the pick.

I'm good with Cine, but with a good S class couldn't one be grabbed in round 4? I think so. Jones I love in round 2, but if the Jets are presented with the need to double dip at WR and Breeze is sitting there in round 2 can you pass up a pass catching RB with sub 4.4 speed? Ruckert is likely to be taken in round 2-3 so if he's there that late HELLO RUCKERT!!!!!, but I don't think so.

Lindstrom I could see in round 4, etc. I absolutely love the guy's you picked and have no issues, but other issues arise from drafting Williams. 

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Very acceptable with a few minor indulges 1. I love Williams at WR, but can the Jets wait until half the season to work him slowly back into team activities? They may have to double dip at WR in round 2 to offset the pick.

I'm good with Cine, but with a good S class couldn't one be grabbed in round 4? I think so. Jones I love in round 2, but if the Jets are presented with the need to double dip at WR and Breeze is sitting there in round 2 can you pass up a pass catching RB with sub 4.4 speed? Ruckert is likely to be taken in round 2-3 so if he's there that late HELLO RUCKERT!!!!!, but I don't think so.

Lindstrom I could see in round 4, etc. I absolutely love the guy's you picked and have no issues, but other issues arise from drafting Williams. 

The Jets do not absolutely NEED a WR to start day one. Moore, Davis and Berrios can hold the fort for a few games. Not ideal but not barren either. Getting another WR on day 3 does not really help. Would you want a 4th round WR starting?  Are they really going to be an immediate upgrade to whoever we need to use a a WR4 compared to what we have?  By the time that late round WR gets up to speed, Jameson will be ready.  Picking a WR in round 2 over a bigger need would be a misallocation of resources.

As for S, who would you recommend in round 4 that would start?  I see Hamilton, Hill, Cine and Brisker as starters. The rest, meh. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, xrade said:

The Jets do not absolutely NEED a WR to start day one. Moore, Davis and Berrios can hold the fort for a few games. Not ideal but not barren either. Getting another WR on day 3 does not really help. Would you want a 4th round WR starting?  Are they really going to be an immediate upgrade to whoever we need to use a a WR4 compared to what we have?  By the time that late round WR gets up to speed, Jameson will be ready.  Picking a WR in round 2 over a bigger need would be a misallocation of resources.

As for S, who would you recommend in round 4 that would start?  I see Hamilton, Hill, Cine and Brisker as starters. The rest, meh. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, xrade said:

As for WR and be it second or third day values, the fact is guy's who are demanding 25 million dollar contracts are few and far between in the first round.

I would argue that the better WR's on the whole are drafted after the first round with few exceptions. I am a Jameson fan, would love to draft him, but drafting Christian Watson in the second round (who could be drafted in the first round) is not a risk in my estimation.

The Jets WR corps is lacking while we have a dynamic 3 and the TE's we just signed are a tremendous improvement for our O, lets be clear, after the top 3 you mentioned we're terrible.

As for a misallocation of resources, I don't think using a 2nd rounder on a major need is a misallocation.

Now if you will imagine Jameson and Watson both healthy on this team. Davis is a rental, he's already lost a year, he has 2 years on his contract. Moore is the future, and Berrios is on a 3 year prove it deal. Are you really comfortable going forward with guys who in 2 years could be moving on?

Give me Williams and Watson in the draft and I will be very happy and Zac going into year 2 will have an arsenal of TE's and WR's to choose from not to mention a potential lethal running game.

3 hours ago, Big T said:

Are you really comfortable going forward with guys who in 2 years could be moving on?

If we get a potential starter in round 1 OR 2, yes, I am comfy. Do you really want to use one of our 4 top picks on a future starter 2 years from now?  Regardless, this mock is what I believe JD will do. Keep in mind the thread title.