Do you know enough to give up on Deshone Kizer?

brownie man

Do you know enough right now to say its time to move on from Kizer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know enough to say its time to move on from Deshone?

• Yes I know enough he will not be a franchise QB in Cleveland ever
    • I will decide after he has more time
    • I will decide after I see him with a better supporting cast
    • I am sticking with him for the forseeable future

I wanted to make a poll on this because as of mid-season we've got some things to look at

And these are the facts so far :

1. Started the end of pre-season and most of our games

2. Has been pulled out of two games 

3. Benched for one game

4. Out late at a bar on a Friday night before a game on Sunday

5. We tried to trade for AJ Mccarron 

6. Kizer hasn't won any games

7. Has a 3 - 11 Touchdown Interception ratio, 52% completion percentage, and 51.1 Passer rating

8. Has repeatedly been told to not turn the ball over, and hes consistently turned the ball over

A quote yesterday from @MWil23

A rookie season is a lot like a first date. You usually don't know if he/she is THE ONE but sometimes you know when he/she IS NOT the one. Kizer isn't it.

So in some peoples eyes, 8 games are enough to know whether Kizer will amount to being a franchise QB or not.

Everyone knows my opinion that its too soon, but I wanted to get the clear opinion on from the forum to see how many think we know enough to call it. 

I've been in that same boat. As far as the girl you go on a date with and know she's not the one.  But she is really fun.  Then you decide not to go on another date with her again.  Then a month or two go by and you're with another girl and you see her.  You know she's not the one still, but you look at what you're holding hands with and think man everything was a lot more fun with that one.  I really messed up. 

All of that for this, the grass isn't always greener.  Especially with an unknown prospect.  Girl A might not be a keeper but she might be better than girl B.  Especially when you're with girl B and see girl A doing great with Pittsburgh or someone else. 

He's still a rookie.  Let's see him through the year before he is sent packing.  This year is already done for us.

Kizer isn't the first I've given up on. In all fairness, I was down on Weeden before the draft and after his 4 INT debut against Philadelphia too...actually, I was down on him and would have traded him after this omen:

Brandon-Weeden-Caught-Under-USA-Flag.gif

On a serious note, I think that you have to draft a Franchise QBOTF extremely high (the BEST prospect available) or get one in free agency (Cousins, note going to happen but one can dream, or at this point, GULP, I'd even consider Sam Bradford if the price was right...I wouldn't love it by any means, but I'd understand it.) That's about the only scenario I hang onto Kizer as a potential guy you work with for another year/two. See if he can figure it out on the bench under a veteran.

You have to do what other teams like Tampa (Glennon) and San Diego (Brees/Rivers) have done and DRAFT ONE HIGH. If both end up looking GREAT (Brees/Rivers), then you can trade one for a very high pick. This is also a scenario where I ride my unicorn to work every day. I love the argument "let's not draft _________ because __________ has potential...like somehow after not having a franchise QB since Bernie in the late 80s we'll magically have two".

I think the desperate actions by the organization/revolving door of empty talent game-to-game makes the team’s opinion fairly evident.

My opinion is the same as when he was coming out. Very raw, mildly accurate, years away from having a chance to be worth putting on a football field. I’m just glad this was a wasted late-2nd and not a higher pick. It will make it easier for our front office to justify moving on after just a year. Let him sit as your 3rd QB for a couple years past this one. Maybe eventually he can be serviceable here or somewhere else. To this point, he hasn’t shown nearly enough promise to avoid investing heavily in a better option at the position.

Just now, NateDawg said:

I think the desperate actions by the organization/revolving door of empty talent game-to-game makes the team’s opinion fairly evident.

My opinion is the same as when he was coming out. Very raw, mildly accurate, years away from having a chance to be worth putting on a football field. I’m just glad this was a wasted late-2nd and not a higher pick. It will make it easier for our front office to justify moving on after just a year. Let him sit as your 3rd QB for a couple years past this one. Maybe eventually he can be serviceable here or somewhere else. To this point, he hasn’t shown nearly enough promise to avoid investing heavily in a better option at the position.

Agreed, we can't NOT address the position with the first pick.

I still think Kizer COULD be the guy, but I'm not going all in on him.

Yeah, I think we haven't seen even close to enough to give up, but we've seen enough to be discouraged and unless something changes bigly in the next eight games, we've seen enough to know that we need another option going into next year.

The only way you can give up on a player after 8 games is if he shows he isn't physically capable of doing the job. That isn't the case with Kizer. I think he needs to work on things, maybe alter his delivery to find more accuracy or whatever it takes but he is still a project. I wouldn't keep starting him, I think he could have a good game here or there but he needs things fixed before he becomes a starter I don't think he just needs the game to slow down, although it's possible.

I know enough to know that we have to proceed with decisions as if Deshone Kizer is not the franchise QB.

I do not however know if Deshone is or isn't a franchise QB given the limited sample size, the youthful stage of his career, and the unknown regarding how he will improve/develop over time.

If I assumed his skill set and talent was static, he's not the franchise QB, but for a 21 year old with his work ethic he is likely to take major strides in the next 2 years....

Now, are those strides enough to be a franchise QB remains to be seen.

When he's on, what he does on the field is as good as we've ever seen and as good as you'll see in this league in terms of being strong in the pocket with eyes down the field, shaking off blitzes or sidestepping a blitz to get to a close open throwing platform, all while making a wow throw....that is rare...we've seen glimpses of that in Kizer.

Consistency is the issue.

That's why I voted that...I/we will know in time...

I voted that I knew enough to know he will not be the franchise QB of the Cleveland Browns because we don't have the luxury of time and letting him grow with the team.  I think we are going to be in a position next year to draft the best QB available and that is exactly what we are going to have to do.  I was happy with taking Kizer in the late second because if he worked, GREAT, and if he didn't show enough, we would have a high pick in a good QB draft.

Whelp we will have THE BEST pick in a good QB draft.

So we have to take a QB and assume Kizer is not the answer.

Out of curiosity, how many of the "I will decide after more time" people think that more time means he starts games AFTER this year? That's why I voted for option 1. I'm still 100% committed to starting Kizer the rest of the season.

Archived