The Foxy Offseason

WindyCity

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Build momentum and continuity to be what? Average at best?...we need more...we deserve more...there is nothing holding this franchise back apart from ambition.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Does Jahns have insider info to be able to make this type of claim? I think not.  It's purely his opinion.

No one thought Lovie would be fired either after going 10-6.

Usually the national guys are right when it comes to this kind of news and we've heard Fox's seat is pretty hot.  Dan Bernstein is also pretty adamant that Fox will be cut loose and he's usually right about these things because he actually has insider info.

I was one of Fox's biggest supporters the past couple of years but 3 straight years of losing records and impotent offensive play would be the the nail in the coffin for me.  We'll see...

He is literally in the locker room, the building and around the team and coaches every single day.

Bernstien has backed way off the Fox is gone thing in the last 2-3 weeks.

I don't agree with it. I think Fox is a recipe for mediocrity and an average QB. But listening to the good beat guys, Hoge, Jahns, Fishbain, they are pretty convincing that he will likely be back.

Loggains and he have been sounding way, way too comfortable in the way they talk about this team and their future. Unless this team craps the bed the final 8 weeks, I don't really know how Pace can send them packing.

Rich Campbell said that if Fox is back here next season, there is very little chance that Fangio returns, FWIW.

14 hours ago, G08 said:

Does a beat writer have inside information? You must not be familiar with "off the record" conversations.

Of course you think it's purely his opinion xD

Why would anyone in the Bears front office tell Jahns or any other beat guy that Fox is on thin ice and will probably be let go knowing full well that these guys will go and put this kind of stuff in the press and then it become a big distraction and embarrassment for the franchise during the second half of the season?

Doing so would show a lack of leadership and stability within the organization and it would have a negative impact on the players, especially a rookie QB who this franchise has high hopes for.

Don't believe everything you read from these guys.  The writing is on the wall.

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Why would anyone in the Bears front office tell Jahns or any other beat guy that Fox is on thin ice and will probably be let go knowing full well that these guys will go and put this kind of stuff in the press and then it become a big distraction and embarrassment for the franchise during the second half of the season?

Doing so would show a lack of leadership and stability within the organization and it would have a negative impact on the players, especially a rookie QB who this franchise has high hopes for.

Listen to what Dan Bernstein said in yesterday's transition, it's available via podcast. To summarize, he said there's a reason articles are coming out from Mulligan and Haugh stating that Fox may not be on thin ice. It is coming from somewhere. He also said A LOT of the time reporters are told things off the record (Pace does this a lot). If you don't know what that means, they essentially are told inside information/information they do not want the public to learn, so the reporters know this but have to keep their mouths shut.

Does this mean Fox is safe right now? Who knows. But for you to completely discount a beat writer having inside information is just foolish and naive.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Then why do companies pay these guys?

They all get inside information or have people allude to things. They sit on it, they put it out in veiled ways, the organization uses these guys to shape narratives.

Obviously Pace is not walking up to Jahns and telling him all his plans, but that doesn't mean you can't pick up some information.

The more I think about it... how could Pace sell Fox on this job and say "yeah I know the cupboard is bare but if you aren't in the playoffs by year 3 you're fired"? How can he ask Dowell Loggains for scouting reports on all the QBs in last year's class, value his opinion to the extent that he asked him to write up a huge workout for Trubisky, and then tell him he's fired at the end of this season? How does that make any sense?

Poor example but it's like asking your wife to design your house and then divorcing her before the plans are 100% in place.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

The more I think about it... how could Pace sell Fox on this job and say "yeah I know the cupboard is bare but if you aren't in the playoffs by year 3 you're fired"? How can he ask Dowell Loggains for scouting reports on all the QBs in last year's class, value his opinion to the extent that he asked him to write up a huge workout for Trubisky, and then tell him he's fired at the end of this season? How does that make any sense?

Poor example but it's like asking your wife to design your house and then divorcing her before the plans are 100% in place.

I think to a degree he is working with what he has/had around the draft.

I don't think that Pace hated this coaching staff at all. 

The only thing that might get Fox fired is if Trubisky fails because that is Paces job security.

Let’s see how the narrative goes when we are officially out of the playoff picture. Right now there’s hope. I expect that we go 1-2 in the next 3 games against GB, DET and PHI and we will be 4-7 and probably at least 3 games behind Minnesota with 5 to play, and already with 6 conference losses. At that point it’ll be effectively over. 

8 hours ago, G08 said:

It wasn’t fair when the Hawks fired Savard for Q after just 1 year in the Toews/Kane era either but it was what was best for the future of the team. Same with Renteria to Maddon. The best executives don’t make the fair moves - they make the ones that need to be made. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It wasn’t fair when the Hawks fired Savard for Q after just 1 year in the Toews/Kane era either but it was what was best for the future of the team. Same with Renteria to Maddon. The best executives don’t make the fair moves - they make the ones that need to be made. 

Image result for mic drop

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Let's not forget that Pace is the guy who had the Browns FO ready to trade for their #3 pick to select Mitch.  He has a poker face.  He should be making Fox and Loggains feel like they've got the keys so that they don't do something stupid out of desperation.  

15 hours ago, jumbo said:

Let's not forget that Pace is the guy who had the Browns FO ready to trade for their #3 pick to select Mitch.  He has a poker face.  He should be making Fox and Loggains feel like they've got the keys so that they don't do something stupid out of desperation.  

Exactly. Pace has his own information and relays what he wants others to believe. You think Loggains is going to be heavily invested in Mitch's development if he knows this is going to be his last season with him? No way. Pace also had numerous insiders believing QB was nearly impossible in the first, let alone specifically Trubisky who very few even knew they met.

Pace wasn't going to come out and say that Fox had 3 years before getting canned, nor that Loggains was a glorified temp. Who cares? Let them think they are long term solutions, they will put more effort into their daily activities and then Pace can hire a REAL HC and OC. This is a business, Pace can't let something like Fox's feelings cause him to avoid improving HC position. Hell, Pace has been the coaching equivalent of Glennon. Overpaid a hell of a sum to underachieve and be a stopgap for his replacement.

Glennon has been replaced, now Pace is NOT going to ruin Trubisky for Fox. He made a bigger financial obligation to Trubisky than Fox, and tied his name to him as well.

We've heard for 3 years that Pace didnt want to hire Fox to begin with.  I cant believe that he's happy with how his hand picked qb has been handled.  Im sure he's taking responsibility for his mistakes as he should but i dont think for 1 second that his own accountability is going to play any factor in what happens with Fox at the end of the season.  Short of a miraculous turn around and playoff run i dont believe Fox will b here next year.  But the great thing is none of these decisions have to b made right now and Pace has the rest of the year to make his evaluation

Archived