2021: 25.8 (26)

2020: 29.9 (30)

2019: 26.2 (24)

2018: 29.2 (32)

2017: 23.3 (20)

2016: 24.2 (20)

2015: 24.9 (22)

2014: 28.3 (32)

Y'all can sit here and play tummy sticks with each other and call it "excuses" but it's extremely valid that he's had literally no help on defense his entire career. Certainly not an excuse the least bit

Hope that changes this year

14 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

20?? Lol. Here's the PPG for the defense since Carr has been here:

2021: 25.8 (26)

2020: 29.9 (30)

2019: 26.2 (24)

2018: 29.2 (32)

2017: 23.3 (20)

2016: 24.2 (20)

2015: 24.9 (22)

2014: 28.3 (32)

Y'all can sit here and play tummy sticks with each other and call it "excuses" but it's extremely valid that he's had literally no help on defense his entire career. Certainly not an excuse the least bit

Hope that changes this year

Imagine if the defense could use carrs record setting turnovers as an excuse but such is life. 

hope that changes this year

21 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imagine if the defense could use carrs record setting turnovers as an excuse but such is life. 

hope that changes this year

An extra ~17 possessions, not all are in our territory. Imagine if that defense could ever force a turnover to give us more chance at points but such is life. 

15 last year, 15, 15, 17, 14, 30 in '16 and look what happened there, 25, 14.

Don't try this defense vs offense. You'll look very foolish

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

An extra ~17 possessions, not all are in our territory. Imagine if that defense could ever force a turnover to give us more chance at points but such is life. 

15 last year, 15, 15, 17, 14, 30 in '16 and look what happened there, 25, 14.

Don't try this defense vs offense. You'll look very foolish

Original question was to explain carrs late season collapse in 2020?

what would your answer be?

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I thought you're talking about this year

Original question was 2020. Cause injuries and arrests were the reason/excuse last year. Which is why I said defense was the answer for 2020

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

On 4/16/2022 at 8:08 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Original question was to explain carrs late season collapse in 2020?

what would your answer be?

Not sure. He just didn't play well a handful of games. I don't expect anyone to play well all the time and sometimes he needs bailed out and unfortunately he has to be the reason we win a lot of the time.

Why can't you acknowledge the entire team collapsed and why is your sole focus on him? I mean, I know why so this is rhetorical. 

On 4/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, NYRaider said:

What about the year before?

Here's a bunch of excuses:

#1. The team wasn't that good

#2. It was Covid year and a lot of players we were counting on didn't get a regular offseason

#3. Because of #2, the team hit a wall around week 12 is my guess

#4. The OLine was a patchwork of what it should've been.  Miller and Hudson were the only starters playing iirc. Maybe Jackson played hurt?

#5. Carr had a couple of bad games down the stretch, also got injured and missed most of one of them.

#6. Jacobs became a lesser version of himself.  Didn't shape back up until late last year.

#7. Yes, the defense sucked.  If you can't agree to this, you lose any debate about this ever.  They were historically bad on many statistics. The whole "Carr and the offense could help them out more" is completely negated by the fact the defense never helps the offense either.  I'd understand this argument if we had a Ray Lewis defense doing everything they could to win the game, but we haven't been anywhere near that type of defense for over 20 years.

#8. Something happened after the 2nd KC game.  Hitting the wall, emotionally spent, faith in coaches, faith in each other, who knows for sure.  They should've won that game and Carr did everything he could to win that shootout and the defense handed it right back to KC as soon as they could. Then no one showed up against Atlanta.

#9. A lot of close games late in the year that they just couldn't pull out.  Chargers with Carr out and the amazing Mariota in.  Leading the Dolphins and Arden Key mugging Fitzmagic, even winning the fluke Jets game that they dominated until the end and then got lucky. 

Blame Carr, blame other offensive players, blame the coaches, blame the defense, blame them all.  Don't just blame Carr. 

On 4/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Looking through my top 5 carr excuses….
I’ll say the defense 

they didn’t give carr enough chances or keep the score under 20 points

Last 5 weeks of the season offense scored 25 points or more each game.  Defense gave up 26 points or more each game.  Record 2-3. Reason, simple math.

1 hour ago, true2form said:

Here's a bunch of excuses:

#1. The team wasn't that good

#2. It was Covid year and a lot of players we were counting on didn't get a regular offseason

#3. Because of #2, the team hit a wall around week 12 is my guess

#4. The OLine was a patchwork of what it should've been.  Miller and Hudson were the only starters playing iirc. Maybe Jackson played hurt?

#5. Carr had a couple of bad games down the stretch, also got injured and missed most of one of them.

#6. Jacobs became a lesser version of himself.  Didn't shape back up until late last year.

#7. Yes, the defense sucked.  If you can't agree to this, you lose any debate about this ever.  They were historically bad on many statistics. The whole "Carr and the offense could help them out more" is completely negated by the fact the defense never helps the offense either.  I'd understand this argument if we had a Ray Lewis defense doing everything they could to win the game, but we haven't been anywhere near that type of defense for over 20 years.

#8. Something happened after the 2nd KC game.  Hitting the wall, emotionally spent, faith in coaches, faith in each other, who knows for sure.  They should've won that game and Carr did everything he could to win that shootout and the defense handed it right back to KC as soon as they could. Then no one showed up against Atlanta.

#9. A lot of close games late in the year that they just couldn't pull out.  Chargers with Carr out and the amazing Mariota in.  Leading the Dolphins and Arden Key mugging Fitzmagic, even winning the fluke Jets game that they dominated until the end and then got lucky. 

Blame Carr, blame other offensive players, blame the coaches, blame the defense, blame them all.  Don't just blame Carr. 

In conjunction with 8 and 9, Gruden has historically been pretty bad after Thanksgiving. 

1-5 in 98... 7-3 going in

3-4 in 99... 5-4 going in

3-2 in 00... 9-2 going in

3-4 in 01...  7-2 going in

4-2 in 02...  8-2 going in

3-3 in 03...  4-6 going in 

1-5 in 04... 4-6 going in

4-2 in 05...  7-3 going in

1-5 in 06...  3-7 going in

3-3 in 07...  6-4 going in

2-4 in 08...  7-3 going in

Then with Carr:

2-4 in 18... 2-8 going in

1-5 in 19... 6-4 going in

2-5 in 20...  6-4 going in. 

33/53 as a HC after Thanksgiving just isn't very good at all. 

Going 5-2 from Thanksgiving onward last season and pushing into the playoffs would have been one of Gruden's best performances lol. 

Not saying Carr has been money late, but the whole point of canning JDR and bringing Gruden in was to win and improve our guys. History shows that Gruden led teams often falter and become worse over the course of the season. He's never been a coach that rallies a late season push, he's relied on great records going into the final stretch to buoy him into the playoffs, if even made it. I think we all saw everything go stale late in the year, every single year with him. 

Edited by ronjon1990