Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I dont think Trey Lance starts out of the gate.

Mac Jones I think puts NE in contention for the division again 

These two are the most interesting storylines. If Jimmy is on the team it's going to be an ordeal all season. I also want to see what the hell the Pats are gonna do with no OC, lol.

Expectations (aka: not necessarily reality):

• Trevor Lawrence- will look like a good rookie starter this year. Too many variables to make a huge leap, but should start progressing now that Urban Decay has ended. 

• Justin Fields- struggles mightily. What do they have on offense? Rumors are of an impending rebuild, so it'll be interesting to see if the Bears new brass is sold on him. 

• Trey Lance- not quite a make or break, but I doubt he starts much by design. Probably plays more, but the bar is probably highest for him given that SF has proven capable without him. I see more from him in 2023. 

• Mac Jones- likely solidifies himself as a mid-tier QB with some upside. Steady course, imo. If he doesn't step forward as a passer, idk what to make of him. 

• Davis Mills- total wild card. He looked good and atrocious last year. I think he has the talent to start pulling ahead of Lawrence for a bit of things go right, but his ceiling is obviously a bit lower. I think he probably looks a bit more like a guy with some time under his belt than a rookie this year, but whether it's enough to buy in is up in the air.

• Zach Wilson- Just doesn't get benched. I was never high on him. Like Lawrence, 2022 was a dud. Ideally, he'll look like a good rookie this year- some rookie mistakes, but progress.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You don't have faith in Robinson, Taylor, and Little being able to hold it down at OT in some variation? 

One thing that gives me hope with Lawrence is that Pederson/Press were with Wentz in Philly where he went from meh as a rookie to a legitimate MVP candidate in year two with a less than stellar group of weapons around him. I think that you guys still lack that one true difference maker offensively, although Etiene could be that guy, but I think M.Jones/Kirk/Sheanult is a solid group. I am still a firm believer in the Shenault hype train, lol. 

Regarding the offensive line, my biggest worry is the lack of depth.  Cam Robinson should be solid.  I really like Walker Little, and expect him to win the starting spot at RT.  Taylor is a scrub, IMO.  Maybe he can be moved into the left guard position, but if not, he is not much good to us.  I loved the Sherff signing in free agency.  He's a great player, but his history shows that he usually can't stay healthy through a 17 game season, so we will more than likely need someone to take over for him for at least a little while.  Ben Bartch can probably be OK to take over one of the guard positions, but I'd feel a whole lot better if a guy like Evan Neal or Ikey Ekwonu was in there this year instead.  We could also use depth, or preferrably, an upgrade at the center position.  If Tyler Linderbaum falls to #33, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

As you said about the coaching, Trevor should have what he needs this season.  It was an absolute dumpster fire last year.  If he can't succeed with this staff, it's on him (assuming the O-line and receivers do their jobs).

Finally, with the receivers, I'd love to get a true #1 receiver, but I don't think that's going to happen with where we are picking in this year's draft.  If Treylon Burks falls to us, he could be a good complement to what we currently have on the roster, but I still question whether he could become a true #1.  I'd rather wait until next season and use our first round pick (wherever on the board that is) to get that guy.  If Trevor has adequate protection, I do think we can do OK with what we have on the roster this season. 

In spite of the contract everyone laughed at, I'm hopeful that Christian Kirk can do well in our offense.  Hopefully, Marvin Jones, Jr. has one more decent season left in the tank, and I agree with you on Shenault.  I'm really hoping he can show that the toxic coaching environment was the cause of all of his drops last year.  He is a dangerous weapon when he can hold onto the ball.  Finally, believe it or not, I actually hold out a little hope for continued improvement from Laquon Treadwell to become a decent possession receiver on 3rd and short and in the red zone.

It should also be mentioned that Doug Pederson uses his TE's a lot in his offense.  Dan Arnold looked fairly productive before being injured last season, and the addition of Evan Engram and possibly another rookie, could round out a pretty good TE corps.

Throw in Travis Etienne, and Trevor Lawrence has an assortment of weapons that should be good enough to do some damage to opposing defenses if he can get them the ball, which I firmly believe he can.  Like all NFL quarterbacks, he just needs to have a little time in the pocket.

Edited by Uncle Buck

• Trevor Lawrence

I think he'll look better but not where you'd want him to be in year 2. If he makes a leap I think it comes in year 3.

• Justin Fields

I don't have faith in the talent around him to make him look good right now. I think he's going to struggle with less of that actually being on him.

• Trey Lance

I see him starting hot, getting a lot of attention, and then fading quickly. If you follow the trend of guys who breakout in year 2 he seems like the ideal candidate but I think he's even more raw than Allen was.

• Mac Jones

Progression from last season, a mid (maybe low?) teens QB this season.

• Davis Mills 

I expect him to be an average-ish QB next season.

• Zach Wilson

I think he has the talent to break out but it's hard to trust that organization to make it happen. If they landed Deebo I'd pick him to be my "leap" guy this year. As it stands I think he'll progress enough to give Jets fans some comfort going forward.

28 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Regarding the offensive line, my biggest worry is the lack of depth.  Cam Robinson should be solid.  I really like Walker Little, and expect him to win the starting spot at RT.  Taylor is a scrub, IMO.  Maybe he can be moved into the left guard position, but if not, he is not much good to us.  I loved the Sherff signing in free agency.  He's a great player, but his history shows that he usually can't stay healthy through a 17 game season, so we will more than likely need someone to take over for him for at least a little while.  Ben Bartch can probably be OK to take over one of the guard positions, but I'd feel a whole lot better if a guy like Evan Neal or Ikey Ekwonu was in there this year instead.  We could also use depth, or preferrably, an upgrade at the center position.  If Tyler Linderbaum falls to #33, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

As you said about the coaching, Trevor should have what he needs this season.  It was an absolute dumpster fire last year.  If he can't succeed with this staff, it's on him (assuming the O-line and receivers do their jobs).

Finally, with the receivers, I'd love to get a true #1 receiver, but I don't think that's going to happen with where we are picking in this year's draft.  If Treylon Burks falls to us, he could be a good complement to what we currently have on the roster, but I still question whether he could become a true #1.  I'd rather wait until next season and use our first round pick (wherever on the board that is) to get that guy.  If Trevor has adequate protection, I do think we can do OK with what we have on the roster this season. 

In spite of the contract everyone laughed at, I'm hopeful that Christian Kirk can do well in our offense.  Hopefully, Marvin Jones, Jr. has one more decent season left in the tank, and I agree with you on Shenault.  I'm really hoping he can show that the toxic coaching environment was the cause of all of his drops last year.  He is a dangerous weapon when he can hold onto the ball.  Finally, believe it or not, I actually hold out a little hope for continued improvement from Laquon Treadwell to become a decent possession receiver on 3rd and short and in the red zone.

It should also be mentioned that Doug Pederson uses his TE's a lot in his offense.  Dan Arnold looked fairly productive before being injured last season, and the addition of Evan Engram and possibly another rookie, could round out a pretty good TE corps.

Throw in Travis Etienne, and Trevor Lawrence has an assortment of weapons that should be good enough to do some damage to opposing defenses if he can get them the ball, which I firmly believe he can.  Like all NFL quarterbacks, he just needs to have a little time in the pocket.

Gotcha and Cam is on a franchise tag so you'd have his replacement if you don't' want to extend him. 

I honestly think Treylon Burks is very similar to Shenault funny enough, big, physical guy that isn't the most technical route runner so Arkansas just schemed him the ball in space a ton and let him produce YAC like Colorado State did with Laviska. I agree that you guys should have enough weapons to spread the ball around though. 

I don't think Kirk was worth what he got but he should be productive and ideally Sheanult can bounce back. I still think you guys lack a speed element though and could use a WR that can win consistently on the outside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

These two are the most interesting storylines. If Jimmy is on the team it's going to be an ordeal all season. I also want to see what the hell the Pats are gonna do with no OC, lol.

Yeah, one of the reasons I don't think he'll be on the team. I'm assuming that they hold on to him through camp, maybe even preseason, in the hopes that someone loses a QB and they can trade him. If nothing shakes out, I think they'll cut him. I don't think that you can even have him take a paycut and stay on as the backup; too many players loyal to him. I think you are making that a very, very awkward situation. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, one of the reasons I don't think he'll be on the team. I'm assuming that they hold on to him through camp, maybe even preseason, in the hopes that someone loses a QB and they can trade him. If nothing shakes out, I think they'll cut him. I don't think that you can even have him take a paycut and stay on as the backup; too many players loyal to him. I think you are making that a very, very awkward situation. 

Yeah because regardless of who starts, unless the season goes perfectly, whenever they have a blunder the media will be calling for the other one to play. And regardless of if Trey is ready or not I don't think you give up 3 1sts to sit him for 2 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Mac Jones is the only one I’m confident about heading into the second season.

I'm still surprised no one is worried about the fact the Patriots lost basically their entire offensive staff, didn't hire an OC to replace McDaniels, and think their offense will just flow freely, lol.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Do you think the new regime will keep him around?  If anyone gets axed, I would have thought it would be Mannion after that horrendous performance last year.  With Kellen Mond, it's reasonable to think he may still have some unlocked potential. 

We just re-signed him a few weeks ago, so I'd assume yes.

I hope Mond takes that next step. He really needs to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I dont think Trey Lance starts out of the gate.

Trevor Lawrence is harder for me to gauge I don't know what to expect from that offense.

Zach Wilson I honestly think has the biggest 2nd year improvement.

Mac Jones I think puts NE in contention for the division again 

Davis Mills I think elevates to an average QB, I think his career trajectory is positive but I don't expect a major jump from him.

I dont have expectations for Fields because I don't think he is a good QB

He's definitely starting, that's not a question.