Stranger Thing Season 4

The Gnat

If I were to criticize S4, I think there are 3 areas that kinda fell flat:

-The California storyline seemed pretty trite and cliché.  As in by-the-numbers.  Honestly, I didn't really dig Eleven-Mike that much.   The final desert battle was badass, though, I'll give them that. 

-I really could care less about Nancy & Jonathan's relationship angst.   That seemed really forced as a plot device.

-I also didn't think much of the Robin romance arc.  And VERY much by-the-numbers IMO.

Ultimately, the romance angles other than with the adults fell VERY flat for me.   And it was very much of plot-device functions for the CAL trip and the problems in the relationships.

Still, I absolutely loved S4 for the following reasons:

-First and foremost, Sadie Sink's arc with Max was unbelievably top-notch.    She's going to be an outstanding lead actress if given the chance down the line IMO.   I thought she and Caleb Mclaughlan were terrific together.   I hope they don't write her out of the series, she's one of the top things about the show now.

-Eddie was a fantastic character to introduce.   And man.....he delivered in spades in the end.  Master of Puppets metal extreme performance.

-The whole Vecna/One storyline was superb IMO.  Down to the tie-in to S1, the revelation of Eleven's guilt, the whole showdown scenes, the 3 prior murders & Max's escape....*chef's kiss*

-I loved the Hopper/guard scenes.    And the action scenes tying together Russia/desert/Hawkins was outstanding.  

So yeah, overall S4 wasn't perfect - it did seem to drag at times (California, relationship scenes with the kids).   But when it was good...it was great.    I do wonder if S5 can really surpass or build on Vecna's S4 presence - it was a badass performance, having him survive, I do worry if we've seen the most dominant portrayal, and how they can make him more dangerous/ominous in S5.   But I'll be glad to see a final season, and I still having pretty much nothing but love for this show.  I wouldn't call it best of 2022, but it's a top 5-10, and certainly overall it gets the *thumbs up* from me.

-

Edited by Broncofan

I watched s3 and 4 over the past couple weeks, and overall we had a blast with this one. 

But some small complaints about the final episode.. 

What kind of earthquake opens 4 massive fissures in the ground a la the Californication video? Why hasn't the entire town been evacuated?

Kids only popped a tire on the cop car... nobody else had a vehicle to follow them with?

What happened to the US Army guy who was hunting 11? He watched them drive away in the pizza van.. pretty sure that dude would have at least knocked on the door of the local pizza joint.. also that whole sensory deprivation setup was a joke

But my biggest complaint about this season and all the others (especiallly S3)... Where exactly are any adults or police? In S1/2 it seemed like a pretty small town so whatever, but Hawkins has to have a population of at least 20k.. there should be more than 3 cops

Edited by adamq

Max should have died. They gave her two absolutely epic near-deaths and capitalized on neither. For the nth consecutive season we lose a great character introduced that season while the main cast keeps chugging along untouched. Also, Papa sucks. He's not sympathetic. He's a selfish POS. Still a high quality season though. Stuff is about to go down. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Max should have died. They gave her two absolutely epic near-deaths and capitalized on neither. For the nth consecutive season we lose a great character introduced that season while the main cast keeps chugging along untouched. Also, Papa sucks. He's not sympathetic. He's a selfish POS. Still a high quality season though. Stuff is about to go down. 

If they leave her blind and hobbled it’s a bolder choice they let her live, if she heals and gets her sight back within like two episodes it’ll be a bit weak. 

I thought for sure one of the older kids were gonna bite it…guess I just wanted to believe it wouldn’t have been Eddie.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If they leave her blind and hobbled it’s a bolder choice they let her live, if she heals and gets her sight back within like two episodes it’ll be a bit weak. 

I thought for sure one of the older kids were gonna bite it…guess I just wanted to believe it wouldn’t have been Eddie.

We both know it's going to be this though. El will get a new random power and fix her most likely. GoT was overhyped and fell off at the end but at least that show understood stakes and that actions have consequences. It's all Stranger Things is lacking.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, Kiltman said:

They showed El in Max's mind just yelling into the void. I think that Vecna will take over her body at some point and a choice will be made. I'm kinda hoping for a Cabin in the Woods ending myself.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Anyone else notice they hinted at Jason’s one buddy getting attacked by Vecna but then kinda completely ignored that whole thing in part two?

The kid who died in the lake? Or was there one I forgot about 

I also thought this was the last season, just based on how they rolled out the episodes.  I wish it would have been tbh and they could have had a more satisfying ending.  Would have loved to see all of the friends die other than El and the end is she is alone in the world again with nobody who understands her powers.  That or have a few die along with El.  

I really liked the season up to the final episode.  Had such good build up and then the last episode just fell flat IMO.  

• Like 1