Edge Propsects at 32/34

Karnage84

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

DJ and Bucky have talked about the length and it's not a concern. His athleticism is at a very high level and will allow him to overcome that. The Bosa brothers have 33 inch arms with Nick Bosa having 33" arms even. 

Hutchinson actually has very similar comparable's to a guy who spent time at Eastern Michigan - Maxx Crosby. 

Crosby

HT: 77; WT: 255; Arm: 32.88; Hand: 9.75; 40: 4.66; 10: 1.62; VJ: 36; BJ: 122; 3C: 6.89; SS: 4.13

Hutchinson

HT: 78; WT: 260; Arm: 32 .125; Hand: 10.25; 40: 4.74; 10: 1.62; VJ: 36; BJ: 117; 3C: 6.73; SS: 4.15

We have to ignore the draft position and look at the on field results. Crosby had 10 sacks on 101 pressures and a 91.7 PFF score and the #2 overall Edge defender (just behind Myles Garrett). I would take that any day of the week. Hutchinson has less risk as he isn't someone that has potential off field issues (that we're aware of) that could flare up. Crosby has been exceptional on the field and been really transparent about his challenges with addiction. I fully commend him for his transparency and I'm cheering for him. It's still something that could become an issue in terms of availability, which brings some risk. 

Thibodeaux could be Von Miller 2.0 or he could be Jadaveon Clowney. There's enough there where I'd rather take the guy with the high floor, no questions about how he'd fit in with this staff, local connections, etc. and have him be our defensive leader for the next 10 years. 

Crosby and Chris Long are the comps I think of for Hutch, and not just because all 3 are white.  I would love that production and consistency and I think you won't look back on it and be disappointed.  But at number 2 overall...may I really would love a world beater...

Just now, Millenhater said:

Crosby and Chris Long are the comps I think of for Hutch, and not just because all 3 are white.  I would love that production and consistency and I think you won't look back on it and be disappointed.  But at number 2 overall...may I really would love a world beater...

Which bet would you take:

a) 85% chance to get $500k

b) 1/1,000,000 to get $10M

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Which bet would you take:

a) 85% chance to get $500k

b) 1/1,000,000 to get $10M

I'm a compulsive gambler...DON'T ASK ME THAT!!!  Hahaha

I mean it comes down to what is that money actually worth?  Is $500k actually a lot of money to you?  Like if you go to Vegas and you win $5 do you instantly stop gambling because you won $5?  Does that move the needle for you?

But honestly I don't know if it's that simple.  (And I think those betting odds are way off in a comparable sense) Let me answer your question with another question; Do you think the Lions need good players or some great players to take the next step in this rebuild?  Does using your most prime resource(s) to get a good player get this team to next level or do we need to get a player who has a chance to be the best at his position?

I don't know if there is a wrong answer here.  I'm just thinking out loud.  Like I said I like Hutch and would be fine with him I just like Thibodeux more and think the "gamble" is well worth it.

37 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I'm a compulsive gambler...DON'T ASK ME THAT!!!  Hahaha

I mean it comes down to what is that money actually worth?  Is $500k actually a lot of money to you?  Like if you go to Vegas and you win $5 do you instantly stop gambling because you won $5?  Does that move the needle for you?

But honestly I don't know if it's that simple.  (And I think those betting odds are way off in a comparable sense) Let me answer your question with another question; Do you think the Lions need good players or some great players to take the next step in this rebuild?  Does using your most prime resource(s) to get a good player get this team to next level or do we need to get a player who has a chance to be the best at his position?

I don't know if there is a wrong answer here.  I'm just thinking out loud.  Like I said I like Hutch and would be fine with him I just like Thibodeux more and think the "gamble" is well worth it.

How about this:

- Hutchinson is Ryan Kerrigan and goes to 4x Pro Bowls over 10 years and is a top 10 Edge his entire career with the Lions

- Thibodeaux is Jadaveon Clowney and winds up not getting his 5th year option picked up while going to multiple teams over the course of his career OR he could be Von Miller and have double digit Pro Bowls, DPOY potential and lead the league in sacks

Are you willing to take the consistent double or are you ok with taking a big swing and potentially striking out big? I don't even know if Thibs is VM-lite but if you think that's his upside, there's also a big downside there too. Hutch just seems to have such a high floor with Bosa-esque upside and I feel that if we try to get too smart or greedy we're going to have another case of "if only we took this guys when we had the chance"... which is the kind of conversation we have about guys like Donald, OBJ, etc.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Malik Willis it is.

Sure... let's get a guy that is 6'0, played at Liberty and is behind Trey Lance in terms of development come in at #2 in a draft class that many argue doesn't have a 1st round caliber QB (or at best falls in the 20's). This is also on a team that has holes at multiple spots on the roster. That worked out well for us and Matthew Stafford. 

Willis could very well be Russell Wilson 2.0 but we need an impact starter at the #2 spot and he's not going to be that guy until 2023 or even 2024. I also don't want us to put a guy into a situation where we're always chasing and trying to put the right pieces around him when we have so much draft capital to infuse talent on the roster over the next 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Sure... let's get a guy that is 6'0, played at Liberty and is behind Trey Lance in terms of development come in at #2 in a draft class that many argue doesn't have a 1st round caliber QB (or at best falls in the 20's). This is also on a team that has holes at multiple spots on the roster. That worked out well for us and Matthew Stafford. 

Willis could very well be Russell Wilson 2.0 but we need an impact starter at the #2 spot and he's not going to be that guy until 2023 or even 2024. I also don't want us to put a guy into a situation where we're always chasing and trying to put the right pieces around him when we have so much draft capital to infuse talent on the roster over the next 2 years. 

lol, you do realize I was joking...right?

3 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Thibodeaux isn't one in a million. Disingenuous comparison.

I'm not talking about KT specifically. It's more about risk tolerance. High floor with lower ceiling vs a low floor with higher ceiling. 

Call it 1/1000 or even 1/500... Hutchinson isn't a guarantee but I'd put more faith in him as a sure thing than KT.