Dan Snyder Drama thread

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

With Snyder's threat of exposing scandal, if you're going to trot out a guy to be the point man, you use one whose scandals are already known, dead, and buried (so to speak). It's a kinda jiu-jitsu move. Irsay can't be harmed anymore by Snyder and he can say "that wasn't me who moved the team" and "yes I had personal issues with drugs,etc... but I didn't cheat my business partners, nor did I run an organization where sexual assault was rampant, nor did I try to pimp out my cheerleaders,etc..." 

He can simply point to his scandals as personal failings rather than ones that affect a team and the NFL in general. Snyder can't do that.

And I'm willing to bet that the other owners are very glad Irsay is taking the point on this because he is almost bulletproof against Snyder right now. In movie terms he's the not-squeaky-clean anti-hero that takes on the villain.

If we’re using movie analogies, I’d say to me he’s more like the dead body that the hero(es) use to shield themselves from incoming gunfire. Can’t really hurt him anymore, so go ahead bad guy, go ahead and unload your clip into him and we’ll keep moving forward behind him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

If we’re using movie analogies, I’d say to me he’s more like the dead body that the hero(es) use to shield themselves from incoming gunfire. Can’t really hurt him anymore, so go ahead bad guy, go ahead and unload your clip into him and we’ll keep moving forward behind him. 

Much more apropos. Thank you.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

After chewing on this overnight I think we are looking at two lost seasons because of this.  If they really wait till March to vote on this we will lose this season (we are regardless), but the new owner won't be installed in time to make any impact on next season. 

At LEAST two lost seasons. Because Snyder is more litigious than Al Davis was and will then tie this whole thing up in court.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

After chewing on this overnight I think we are looking at two lost seasons because of this.  If they really wait till March to vote on this we will lose this season (we are regardless), but the new owner won't be installed in time to make any impact on next season. 

I think you are right.  I guess the good news is that the very public nature of this dispute has essentially put a giant FOR SALE sign up on the franchise for quite some time.  So interested parties are ready.  Additionally, the recent sale of the Broncos will help prime the pump in terms of a comp (albeit lower) and parties that missed out will be chomping at the bit for another go at it.

But I think we are counting our chickens before they hatch.  Snyder will not go down swinging and unless we have real evidence, not anonymous or he-said she-said sources, I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

I mean, here's the thing, regardless of what Snyder wants to do he's currently cash poor. He can't afford the minimum amount for a stadium, he can't afford to fix FedEx, he can't afford free agents or an updated practice facility. He has no money. He literally cannot afford to keep this team. So the idea that he's going to hold onto it to leave it to his children is absurd. Its just stupid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, here's the thing, regardless of what Snyder wants to do he's currently cash poor. He can't afford the minimum amount for a stadium, he can't afford to fix FedEx, he can't afford free agents or an updated practice facility. He has no money. He literally cannot afford to keep this team. So the idea that he's going to hold onto it to leave it to his children is absurd. Its just stupid. 

yep

he should just sell the team 

he legit can retire and not look back 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We are right up against the cap, so I don’t know where he can’t sign free agents has come from.  

He also wants a publicly funded stadium.  I think he could get the money to re-do FedEx from the ground up and play at University of Maryland for a couple seasons, but he doesn’t want to do that.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We are right up against the cap, so I don’t know where he can’t sign free agents has come from.  

He also wants a publicly funded stadium.  I think he could get the money to re-do FedEx from the ground up and play at University of Maryland for a couple seasons, but he doesn’t want to do that.  

We’re right up against the cap because we don’t seem to know how to manage it. Look around this roster and what they’ve done in the off-season…where did the money go? Where did the cap space go? Snyder couldn’t afford to pay for the percentage of the team he didn’t own so the league gave him a loan. He can’t afford to build the stadium on his own otherwise we’d have one. He needs public money because he can’t afford it. He is cash poor. He doesn’t have the funds. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

At LEAST two lost seasons. Because Snyder is more litigious than Al Davis was and will then tie this whole thing up in court.

Exactly he’ll sue until it really starts to affect his bottom line which could be a long time. As I’ve said before, unlike most owners, Dan is a huge fan of this franchise, he used to go to games growing up with his dad. He’s not going to sell just bc some other owners want him to. He will drag this thing out and may do it so long that the other owners/league give up on trying to force him out, if they decide they want to do that.

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We’re right up against the cap because we don’t seem to know how to manage it. Look around this roster and what they’ve done in the off-season…where did the money go? Where did the cap space go? Snyder couldn’t afford to pay for the percentage of the team he didn’t own so the league gave him a loan. He can’t afford to build the stadium on his own otherwise we’d have one. He needs public money because he can’t afford it. He is cash poor. He doesn’t have the funds. 

That’s right & the other owners want a new stadium bc that will mean more revenue for them. If Snyder can’t deliver a new stadium for the league or can’t secure public $ bc no County/local jurisdictions want to work with him & give him that public $ bc Snyder & the Commanders brand is awful then, they’ll force him out.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Snyder couldn’t afford to pay for the percentage of the team he didn’t own so the league gave him a loan. He can’t afford to build the stadium on his own otherwise we’d have one. He needs public money because he can’t afford it. He is cash poor. He doesn’t have the funds. 

I think the reality of the ownership money is that Snyder took advantage of a situation where the League offered him an exception to the finance rules to buy the minority stake because his minority owner went after him in a very inappropriate manner and they had actual proof not he-said she-said.  The league also made this very clear by banning the minority owner from ever owning a portion of an nfl franchise.

Snyder is undoubtedly cash poor after making an unplanned purchase of that minority stake, but he is asset rich.  Not only does he own the team, he owns that land and in the end he can build a stadium adjacent to FedEx.  Don't think he couldn't get a loan for the money based upon owning a 100% of an nfl franchise.  Of course, like all owners, he would prefer not to  take on debt and build it himself and he will push for public funds until there is no chance.  But he can do it.  Heck he could always fund it by selling a minority share.  

• Like 2

Sally Jenkins on the Kevin Sheehan show this morning was amazing, if you all didn’t hear it, I’ll find it a d post it. She thinks that there will be 24 owners to oust Snyder. The money aspect is what will be Snyder’s undoing & his inability to get a stadium deal done. She thinks especially Jerry Jones will not be pleased with that. 

4 minutes ago, Troublez said:

@e16bball if the 24 majority vote to remove an owner is in the bylaws of the NFL (with cause or maybe with none), does Dan have any footing to fight an oust as long as he receives fair compensation? 

Didn't he agree to that as being a party to the Association (or League)?

I think he'd fight it tooth and nail in court. Might drag on for months, years . 

• Like 2