Dan Snyder Drama thread

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How can you just not accept a subpoena?  Oh to be rich.

Yeah, I'm no lawyer so I don't understand it at all. I thought one of the reporters said it was the fact of voluntarily vs subpoena had something to do with what you CHOOSE to answer. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, I'm no lawyer so I don't understand it at all. I thought one of the reporters said it was the fact of voluntarily vs subpoena had something to do with what you CHOOSE to answer. 

It’s Congress. Congress has no power to enforce a subpoena. They can’t fine a witness, they can’t threaten to put anyone in jail. Basically their subpoena powers are meaningless. When they call witnesses, they don’t have to come. They have no enforcement powers in that area. 

For example, at my job our President testified in February before Congress. At the same time the committee asked the CEO of the company our workers have been on strike against for 15 months to come and testify as well. The CEO didn’t show up to testify before the Senate Committee. Our President testified as well as one of our workers who has been on strike for 15 months but the CEO of the company didn’t.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s Congress. Congress has no power to enforce a subpoena. They can’t fine a witness, they can’t threaten to put anyone in jail. Basically their subpoena powers are meaningless. When they call witnesses, they don’t have to come. They have no enforcement powers in that area. 

For example, at my job our President testified in February before Congress. At the same time the committee asked the CEO of the company our workers have been on strike against for 15 months to come and testify as well. The CEO didn’t show up to testify before the Senate Committee. Our President testified as well as one of our workers who has been on strike for 15 months but the CEO of the company didn’t.

However, it can be referred to the Justice Dept. by Congress. What they choose to do with that once they get such a referral is up to them and the relevant statutes.

Additionally, the biggest thing here from my recollection of things is that if supboenaed he would be under oath. And perjury can definitely be referred to DoJ for prosecution.

Just my $0.02

• Like 2