Martellus Bennett claimed by Patriots

nextsuperstar1

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

So we have his full contract correct?

Does he still plan to retire at the end of the year or was he quietly pushing to get out of GB with Rodgers out and done for the year?

Does anyone have any idea what the mysterious shoulder injury is?

Yeah I think we have his full contract now.

No clue what Bennett's plans are cause he sometimes talks a little crazy.

No clue what his shoulder injury is either.  

Either way, we have Allen, Gronk, and Bennett on our team.  That's a stacked TE grouping.  Hope the league is ready for some Gillislee.

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

Yep

Yep

Yep

One of these things is not like the other...

Allen hasn't been catching a thing but he's been run blocking as well as he always has.  

I can't think of a more stacked TE group off the top of my head but, maybe I'm just too excited by Bennett to remember.

2 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Well Bennett is hurt (like always), so I wouldn't expect a ton out of him right now.   Allen has been worse than I think you're admitting.  He's been a negative in the passing game and his blocking hasn't been as good as you'd need from a complete zero as a pass catcher.

Anyways, as far as this team goes, it's pending his health but imagine the Patriots have to think he's going to be able to give them something by the playoffs.   Would be a huge boon to the Patriots to credibly run two tight end sets.   Not to mention obvious insurance for our offense not collapsing if injuries to Gronk + Cooks/Hogan happen.   The Patriots this year have been schematically a bit handicapped it feels like.

Regardless, we only have to pay him about $800K I think so, hard to go wrong here. 

From VD;

Cap Space=$3,810,012 @patscap

Bennett is due $13M in 2018 and in 2019 but none of it is guaranteed. As @TexansCap pointed out yesterday if the Packers file a grievance and win the Pats will get the credit on the cap. Grandmaster chess move by Pats.

Ryan Wood ✔@ByRyanWood

#Packers OLB Ahmad Brooks said he asked Marty Bennett about the retirement announcement when players returned from the bye. "He said he was just talking crap," Brooks said. Brooks told me he does not believe Bennett was sincere about retirement.

Packers got trooooooollllled, it appears.

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Ryan Wood ✔@ByRyanWood

#Packers OLB Ahmad Brooks said he asked Marty Bennett about the retirement announcement when players returned from the bye. "He said he was just talking crap," Brooks said. Brooks told me he does not believe Bennett was sincere about retirement.

Packers got trooooooollllled, it appears.

What a d-bag

5 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

What a d-bag

How so? I don't like this argument much, but I think it hold in this case - players have no power over when they're cut, traded or waived. If you think of a way to get out of a contract you don't like, without breaking the law, I think that's fine.

Players are cut, with coaches and GMs lying about the reason, all the time.

Archived