Raiders extend QB Derek Carr 3 years 121.5 Million

agarcia34

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The way Frankie and HB are talking about this deal, you would think they gave him Deshaun Watsons contract. 

The no trade clause and the fact that he's now the 5th highest paid QB based on average salary were nice gestures as they imply that we think he's elite and we're committed to him long-term. But as McDaniels said it was all about finding the sweet spot and I think they did a great job with that. We only owe him $60M over the next two seasons which is very reasonable and I don't think they'll have any issues cutting ties with him before he gets that big pay raise If we don't make a deep postseason run. 

I'm obviously rooting for Carr but man he needs to elevate his game to another level this season like Stafford did with the Rams last year. 

4,500 yards, 35 TD, significantly less turnovers, and 11-12 wins should be the baseline now. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is a way every fan tries to downplay these contracts to make themselves feel better. The cap will go up, but it goes up for all 32 teams. And it is still a very large number of the cap regardless. We will still have the third highest paid QB by annual salary behind Allen/Watson come 2024... Yes other QB's will get paid, but they will all get paid on the back-end years also. Meaning we are still at a massive disadvantage for 2024 and 2025. Heck, even Mahomes annual cap hit will not exceed Carr until 2027... 

It would be ideal for us to win the Super Bowl this year or 2023 before these contracts become a huge issue, and all we can do is hope for A+ drafts every year which is ridiculously difficult to do. 

I don’t gotta make myself feel better, I knew DC was going to get extended at market rate. You were the one in denial and are now trying to cope. The cap will continue to rise and by the time DC gets to 40 mil there will be 10-12+ QBs in that range, just like what happened when everyone was going nuts at his 25m average, that ended up being a modest deal that didn’t hold us back(signing/drafting bums did that)

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is a way every fan tries to downplay these contracts to make themselves feel better. The cap will go up, but it goes up for all 32 teams. And it is still a very large number of the cap regardless. We will still have the third highest paid QB by annual salary behind Allen/Watson come 2024... Yes other QB's will get paid, but they will all get paid on the back-end years also. Meaning we are still at a massive disadvantage for 2024 and 2025. Heck, even Mahomes annual cap hit will not exceed Carr until 2027... 

It would be ideal for us to win the Super Bowl this year or 2023 before these contracts become a huge issue, and all we can do is hope for A+ drafts every year which is ridiculously difficult to do. 

We can literally cut him at any point after next season with almost no financial consequences, lol. 

• Like 3

Wait he only got 60 million in guaranteed money. That’s the only amount that matters and that is massively low 

even a low signing bonus so that explains why there was no cap space created 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

Whether you hate Carr or love him, I dont understand how you cant like the supposed contract. 
no dead money after 1 year. 
Contract reasonable this year and next

We have put pieces around Carr. Baring major injury, I expect 30+ a game from this O.
If we lose 38-35, I dont put that on the O, but I know others do. 
Thankfully I dont see our D being historically bad. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Wait he only got 60 million in guaranteed money. That’s the only amount that matters and that is massively low 

even a low signing bonus so that explains why there was no cap space created 

It's basically a year by year deal, Mark may have ran out of funds tbh.

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

You do not want the Rams style.  They are essentially NO's lite when it comes to the cap.  They are are not the norm for winning the SB and if they would have not they would have been seen as a colossal failure.  I think McVay is gone after next year and all the retirement talk with him and Donald was just to setup their exit next year when the Rams are screwed with the cap.  Without Donald that team does get to the SB and they have very little room even after he leaves.  So they better hope they find another incridible deal in the draft.  Never mind they have no draft picks.  They got their championship and have a shot at another one but after Donald is gone they just have an overpriced roster.

I'm not saying we should do exactly what they do, I'm saying we need to find a way (like all good teams do) to keep our best players.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

In the press conf first 1st time he just mentioned foster and hunter 

2nd time they asked he included waller….

Yeah I didn't see it.  Just read excerpts online.  No clue as to whether or not that was intentional.  The world will never know.