Travon Walker

nagahide13

The hype train is starting to gain real steam. People are starting to talk about Walker going #1 overall to the Jags. How do you feel about Walker? Do you think #1 overall is a legit possibility? If Hutchinson goes #1, will you be happy with Walker at #2? Kid is a former 5 * recruit. Played exclusively inside at Georgia for his first 2 years, lost 15 pounds and played half edge half inside in his final year. His production is low, but that could very well be scheme or due to his playing inside so frequently. Georgia's front 7 were incredibly dominant.

Personally, I'm on board if Hutch is gone. I don't think Walker is as raw as is being made out. He's fast, long and strong.

I think it’s likely the Jags draft Walker. Baalke has a history of drafting excellent athletes with upside over the higher regarded prospects.

Walker, KT and Hutch will all be impact players but there’s some edge prospects later that look good also. 

I think if the Lions stay at two they will draft Walker or Hutch. If both are available I think they take Walker. Just a hunch but the media covered the story of Hutch being at the local area workout. The media made a deal about the Lions entourage at KT’s pro day. Very quiet on the Walker front.

The Lions brass are a bunch I consider to be pretty thorough in evaluations so it strikes me as odd. 

They also may just be posturing to induce a trade. 🤞

I, like everyone else would love a trade down. Davis and Karlaftis, or Williams and Johnson. There are so many good players and combinations. 

• Like 2

I like him. I'm not sure why everyone is dogging the stats of every Georgia player. When teams were continually going 3 and out, it doesn't give a lot of opportunity for stat padding. Also with that many stars, I mean we are talking 5 1-2 round picks in the front 7 if you include Anderson for most of the year, should we think everyone is going to have juggernaut type numbers?

I appreciate those who have said he is not good at getting out of his stance, and things like this. I feel like this is a valid concern. His numbers and motor can't be questioned though. Neither can the conference he played in where this Dline was considered one of the best of all time. You don't get that rep by being a slouch.

KT might have it more together now on the field for certain plays, but his motor is in question. His love for the game is in question. Those 2 things scare me off at 2. He is said to have a high ceiling, but I believe Walkers ceiling is higher.

If you are picking on potential, I think Walker>KT>Hutch

If you are picking on motor, I think Hutch>=Walker>KT

If you are picking on the how they looked on film on every snap (disclosure, I am basing this on what I've read as I haven't watched every snap) - Hutch > KT > Walker.
Versatility - I think Walker > Hutch >= KT

The last thing is the combine. KT was really being questioned about his love for the game.  This was his opportunity to put doubts to rest. Instead he created more. IMO, it would have been better if he didn't come at all and say "I didn't want to risk injury and jeopardize my rookie season. I want to be available for my team." Instead, he quit early because it was a long day. So when I have to hit on my pick at 2...I'm not going with that guy. You can coach technique. You can't coach athleticism and heart.

So for me, at edge for number 2 - I'm fine with Hutch or Walker.  KT might be a fantastic pro. I think he does have more upside than Hutch, but he also comes with a lot of questions. Those questions, which are similar to other athletic freaks coming out of college, generally have the same outcome.

In the end, I think Hutch and Walker are going to be more of the guys Campbell wants. High motor, athletic guys who love football. Couple this with the fact of Walker's versatility to play all along the line and I'm thinking he very well could be the Lions pick at 2.

• Like 2

Folks keep talking up Kayvon Thibodeaux because of his ceiling.  It seems like Travon Walker's ceiling is just as high and there are no questions about his motor.  Some folks would even include Jermaine Johnson in this conversation.  His "ceiling" seems comparable to Travon Walker and Kayvon Thibodeaux.  Some other folks see it like that also.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/13/jermaine-johnson-detroit-lions-nfl-draft-options-no-2-overall-pick/?itm_source=parsely-api 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Folks keep talking up Kayvon Thibodeaux because of his ceiling.  It seems like Travon Walker's ceiling is just as high and there are no questions about his motor.  Some folks would even include Jermaine Johnson in this conversation.  His "ceiling" seems comparable to Travon Walker and Kayvon Thibodeaux.  Some other folks see it like that also.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/13/jermaine-johnson-detroit-lions-nfl-draft-options-no-2-overall-pick/?itm_source=parsely-api 

I like Jermaine Johnson quite a bit. I definitely feel he'll be a top 10 pick when it is all said and done. He has the production, he has the athleticism, he has the size and he has the motor. He still has room to grow based on his limited starting experience after transferring from Georgia but he has already shown he can develop and produce with opportunity. 

My biggest knock would be his age - he's 23 (24 in January) while guys like Hutchinson, KT, Walker are all 21 years old. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Typical_Lions said:

Good point about JJII's age. I would rank them as Hutch>Walker>Johnson>Karlaftis>Thibodeau. Would be happy with either Walker or Hutch at 2.

I want the best player available, and would definitely forgo the age thing if JJ was a better prospect than the other guys. If all else is equal, I'd take the younger guy. You're going to get an extra two years out of him, they'll be younger on the second contract and there's a possibility they haven't maxed out, so there's room for future development. Not to say an older guy can't develop with better coaching but they may be maxed out physically. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

For who?

Well, there is no consensus #1 or even #2 edge and the group is deep. I'd love for the Lions to get Hutch, but there are 10-15 blue chip players IMO. If Detroit trades down and still gets any of Hutch, Gardner, Davis, Thib, Ekwonu if they want to upgrade guard, Hamilton...one of these guys is probably sitting there around pick 8-10. That's a ton of draft capital that could be picked up. 

I believe they aren't going quarterback and probably 2-3 guys go top-10, deserving or not. I think any of those guys could be the best of the bunch when it's all said and done. 

Also, fwiw, I have Walker a tier below all these guys and wouldn't want him in the discussion at all. I'd rather have Karlaftis. Lloyd would be better as well IMO.

16 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Well, there is no consensus #1 or even #2 edge and the group is deep. I'd love for the Lions to get Hutch, but there are 10-15 blue chip players IMO. If Detroit trades down and still gets any of Hutch, Gardner, Davis, Thib, Ekwonu if they want to upgrade guard, Hamilton...one of these guys is probably sitting there around pick 8-10. That's a ton of draft capital that could be picked up. 

I believe they aren't going quarterback and probably 2-3 guys go top-10, deserving or not. I think any of those guys could be the best of the bunch when it's all said and done. 

Also, fwiw, I have Walker a tier below all these guys and wouldn't want him in the discussion at all. I'd rather have Karlaftis. Lloyd would be better as well IMO.

10-15 blue chip players seems REALLY high. I'd say there's more like maybe 4 blue chip guys?

Hutchinson, Neal, Ekwonu, Gardner. You could include Hamilton, Walker and Johnson but each have their own questions. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Also, I'll address the (literal--340, 4.78) elephant in the room: Jordan Davis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Travon Walker.

This has been talked about. I’m a big Davis fan. There might be 2 or 3 in here that wouldn’t be upset if we took Davis at 2. I will say this though, I don’t know too many DTs who run in a straight line for 40 yards. I don’t really know what his 40 is going to do for him in a game. But he is a freak.