Travon Walker

nagahide13

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

This has been talked about. I’m a big Davis fan. There might be 2 or 3 in here that wouldn’t be upset if we took Davis at 2. I will say this though, I don’t know too many DTs who run in a straight line for 40 yards. I don’t really know what his 40 is going to do for him in a game. But he is a freak.

Luckily he tested off the charts at all the relevant drills such as broad jump. He had the best combine ALL-TIME for his size and the tape backs it up. He's the best player in the draft, not taking position into consideration, of course. 

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

10-15 blue chip players seems REALLY high. I'd say there's more like maybe 4 blue chip guys?

Hutchinson, Neal, Ekwonu, Gardner. You could include Hamilton, Walker and Johnson but each have their own questions. 

Yeah, you're right. In my head I was thinking that blue chip players will fall to 10-15 due to quarterbacks. I think three go top-15 despite all the criticisms. I would add Davis to the blue chip list, maybe even Stingley if he's fully recovered. 

20 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Luckily he tested off the charts at all the relevant drills such as broad jump. He had the best combine ALL-TIME for his size and the tape backs it up. He's the best player in the draft, not taking position into consideration, of course. 

Yeah, you’ll get no argument from me. I like Walker, but my one question about that whole front 7 is how much did Davis free everyone up? Now I know he was only on the field for 50-60% of the plays….so I don’t think the concern needs to be that great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, you’ll get no argument from me. I like Walker, but my one question about that whole front 7 is how much did Davis free everyone up? Now I know he was only on the field for 50-60% of the plays….so I don’t think the concern needs to be that great.

To me, 

Davis top-5

Dean 15-30

Wyatt 20-30

(healthy) Pickens 20-40

Walker 20-40

Quay 40-60

Tindall 50-80

That defense was amazing.

Also, I think the biggest boom-busy guy in there is Walker, which is why I wouldn't touch him high.

Edited by NudeTayne

56 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I think Walker at worst will be a solid pro. My biggest boom/bust is Dean. I loved the college player, but am not as sure about the pros.

I think Walker could easily be a guy who catches on in the league and plays on four teams by the time he's 30, an Ogbah type. I see athleticism but not much else. He really didn't stick out at all. I'd be cautious. And yeah, I agree that Dean is a bit boom-bust as well. He has to be in the right system but could be a star. David, Wyatt and Pickens look like booms to me and Quay/Tindall are solid picks later IMO.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

For who?

Believe it or not, the trade chart is pretty even on this (4950 to 4700 for entire class, difference of a 3rd rounder--note: traded '23 LAR 1st valued at pick 33), which is why I'd be all for trading down in this deep class if I'm Detroit:

• DET
    Jordan Davis
    DT Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Daxton Hill
    S Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Zion Johnson
    OG Boston College
    trade icon
  • DET
    Treylon Burks
    WR Arkansas

• DET
    Kenneth Walker III
    RB Michigan State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Kyler Gordon
    CB Washington
    trade icon
  • DET
    Alec Pierce
    WR Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • DET
    Brandon Smith
    LB Penn State

• DET
    Logan Hall
    3-4DE/4-3DE/4-3UT Houston
    trade icon
  • DET
    Sam Williams
    EDGE Mississippi
    trade icon
  • DET
    Kaleb Eleby
    QB Western Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Channing Tindall
    LB Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jelani Woods
    TE Virginia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Charlie Kolar
    TE Iowa State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Tyquan Thornton
    WR Baylor
    trade icon
  • DET
    Markquese Bell
    S Florida A&M
    trade icon
  • DET
    Vincent Gray
    CB Michigan

• DET
    Josh Paschal
    EDGE Kentucky
    trade icon
Edited by NudeTayne

@NudeTaynehow much better do you think Davis is than Travis Jones? I think he's a guy that will be there at 32/34 as opposed to in the 20's and could be a dominant force in the middle of our defense. He has NT size with 3T athleticism. Pair him up with McNeill and you have big guys who can really move. As much as we talk about our need at edge/DE, we seem to neglect the current and future need at DT. Brockers is likely here for another season and Levi hasn't proven to be worth where he was selected (yet). I'm cool adding someone in the middle to replace either of those guys. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

@NudeTaynehow much better do you think Davis is than Travis Jones? I think he's a guy that will be there at 32/34 as opposed to in the 20's and could be a dominant force in the middle of our defense. He has NT size with 3T athleticism. Pair him up with McNeill and you have big guys who can really move. As much as we talk about our need at edge/DE, we seem to neglect the current and future need at DT. Brockers is likely here for another season and Levi hasn't proven to be worth where he was selected (yet). I'm cool adding someone in the middle to replace either of those guys. 

Travis Jones looks like he could be great. He also could surprisingly go in the 20s and be gone. Davis looks like HOF potential, prime Ngata or better.

14 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I think Walker at worst will be a solid pro. My biggest boom/bust is Dean. I loved the college player, but am not as sure about the pros.

I think Dean will be just fine in the NFL.  With how teams use their LBs and S he will be a hybrid type like Isiah Simmons.  Having someone who can be out there on all downs and cover and blitz and play the run is important.  I think he will be a stud and don't see the bust potential unless you throw him in the middle of a 3-4 and expect him to handle lineman half the time. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Dean will be just fine in the NFL.  With how teams use their LBs and S he will be a hybrid type like Isiah Simmons.  Having someone who can be out there on all downs and cover and blitz and play the run is important.  I think he will be a stud and don't see the bust potential unless you throw him in the middle of a 3-4 and expect him to handle lineman half the time. 

I think he will be fine as well. Just out of all the Georgia players, I think he has the biggest boom/bust factor.  But that really isn't saying much imo. I'm high on all those guys.

I do wish he was just a little taller.

Edited by LionArkie

18 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I agree.  Under-sized LBs with short arms don't have the greatest track record in the NFL.  Physically, he might be better suited to play Safety.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I agree.  Under-sized LBs with short arms don't have the greatest track record in the NFL.  Physically, he might be better suited to play Safety.

Zach Thomas had short arms.  So did Chris Borland, Melvin Ingram and many others. His wingspan is 2 inches better than JoJo Doman who is the same weight but 2 inches taller.  Dean will be fine. 

Elite athletes that are smart players and work hard tend to do well.  And thats what Dean is.  In todays game, with the passing game having 3 and 4 WR sets, having a LB that can cover them is helpful.  It may be a S type hybrid role but he will be in the box leading the defense. 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, LionArkie said:

This has been talked about. I’m a big Davis fan. There might be 2 or 3 in here that wouldn’t be upset if we took Davis at 2. I will say this though, I don’t know too many DTs who run in a straight line for 40 yards. I don’t really know what his 40 is going to do for him in a game. But he is a freak.

Davis?

Yes, please.

• Like 2

Taking a DT at #2 who never had more than 5 TFLs or 2.5 sacks in a season in his college career (despite a lot of starting experience) would be a very questionable choice. I get the allure of the workout numbers that guys like Jordan Davis or Travon Walker put up, but if it's me, I'd take Kayvon if forced to stay at #2. Walker has monstrous upside, but he's a complete question mark as a pass rusher. And as dominant as Jordan Davis is as a run stuffer, he never stood out in college as a pass rusher. 

• Like 3