Outstanding Matt Eberflus Interview

G08

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

I didn't listen to it, but from just the headline alone it seems to contradict what Florio said.

The Florio quote seemed like he was just tossing stuff out there, suggesting that they weren't doing enough for Fields, almost like they didn't believe in him.   I don't think they would have gotten the job without at least being able to fake thinking Fields had a lot of promise.  Can't imagine being Poles or Eberflus and not assuming your future was tied to being successful with JF1. 

I don't think he has been surrounded by playmakers or elite talent by any means. I do think, however, that they have faith in the system they are developing and Justin Fields is providing them with positive feedback.

It's April and it's all fluff at this point, but I'm just thrilled that we FINALLY are running a scheme that I've been pounding the table for since we traded for Jay Cutler back in 2009.

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't think he has been surrounded by playmakers or elite talent by any means. I do think, however, that they have faith in the system they are developing and Justin Fields is providing them with positive feedback.

It's April and it's all fluff at this point, but I'm just thrilled that we FINALLY are running a scheme that I've been pounding the table for since we traded for Jay Cutler back in 2009.

There’s clearly a plan to play to Fields’ strengths. When asked about the offense Flus talked for a bit about using Fields’ run tool on plays where he’s not running, talking about how defenders have to account for it, talked waggles, naked bootlegs, screen game (finally), etc. Didn’t give away the farm but certainly seems to understand the stuff basically everyone but Nagy thinks he should be doing on the regular. How that works out is 🤷‍♂️ but was refreshing to hear for sure.

A few other notes:

-Referred to Jenkins and Borom as “young tackles”. Not sure if it means anything but noted it.

-Said they feel good about potentially 3 starters at 39/48/71. Could be coach speak but implies that our top picks will be expected to fill significant roles. This means some learning on the job, but if we’re not expecting at least some of that given what’s been done in FA then we’re deceiving ourselves anyway.

-Re: Fields “This is his football team, and he’s excited to get going with the guys.”

-When asked about drafting guys off injury (question specifically about Jameson Williams) said, assuming medical staff signs off on it, he sees opportunity in drafting someone off injury because you can get a higher tier prospect later at the expense of some immediate return. Worth noting when thinking about Williams, Ojabo, Metchie and maybe even Justyn Ross. 

None of us have any idea how good a HC Flus is going to be sure but think thing we can all see is this guy loves football and is passionate about making this team as good as he possibly can…he clearly has a plan and identity and that is something Nagy never had…have to respect the approach…

On thing I though was interesting was saying he and Poles are in lock step when it comes to line play and everything starting up front...on BOTH sides of the ball...makes you wonder if with the depth in this draft at DE and the high-end talent at DT if we look to bring in another guy in the draft...especially after he then went on to speak about how important DL depth is.

I also thought it was really cool how he said he plans to be involved in every facet of the game. Even on offense, he said he'd talk to the coaches about how they keep running a particular pass pattern/play action pattern, but they aren't calling the run which is married to that passing scheme.

It's fascinating to think that our defensive-minded head coach might know more about offense than Matt Nagy ever did. I suppose if you spend your career defending offenses, you quickly figure out what gives you fits and what doesn't.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's fascinating to think that our defensive-minded head coach might know more about offense than Matt Nagy ever did. I suppose if you spend your career defending offenses, you quickly figure out what gives you fits and what doesn't.

It’s an incredibly valuable tool at your immediate availability.

“Where would your defensive game plan against our offense?”

”What would you do to try to contain Player X?”

“What can we do with our attack that would give you the most trouble in trying to stop us?”

There’s no reason beyond ego that these discussions shouldn’t be happening frequently throughout the season on every coaching staff. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

None of us have any idea how good a HC Flus is going to be sure but think thing we can all see is this guy loves football and is passionate about making this team as good as he possibly can…he clearly has a plan and identity and that is something Nagy never had…have to respect the approach…

On thing I though was interesting was saying he and Poles are in lock step when it comes to line play and everything starting up front...on BOTH sides of the ball...makes you wonder if with the depth in this draft at DE and the high-end talent at DT if we look to bring in another guy in the draft...especially after he then went on to speak about how important DL depth is.

I think that may impact the it ability to build on “both” sides of the ball.

Our DL talent/depth is way ahead of our OL.

DL over CB wouldn’t shock me, but would go against the mocks.

Edited by WindyCity

On 4/14/2022 at 12:08 AM, G08 said:

I hope ya'll enjoy it as much as I did... I came away very impressed with our new head coach

Chicago Bears Head Coach Matt Eberflus on Building Around Justin Fields | Cris Collinsworth Podcast - YouTube

I'm so tired I snapped at Collinsworth for saying "an historic? Really? Dumb***!"    20 seconds in and I'm irritated.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 12:30 PM, Sugashane said:

I'm so tired I snapped at Collinsworth for saying "an historic? Really? Dumb***!"    20 seconds in and I'm irritated.

A fellow Grammar Nazi, very nice! 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Everything sounds good and smart when there are no games being played.

Then any words will be either awful or brilliant depending on Ws and Ls.

Right, but he at least sounds like he has an understanding of WTF he's doing.

• Like 2

Eberflus might suck as a head coach, we'll find out, but I think he has a vision of what his team is going to be. Nagy didn't have that. Lovie did, to an extent, but he was such a buffoon when it came to offense.