Eagles extend DT Tim Jernigan for 4 years

Danger

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Chip was able to win with a roster assembled prior to his arrival, then proceeded to dismantle it and head backwards with the team's results, not to mention shipping away franchise players because he couldn't get along with them. He then took a 49ers team that had zero losing seasons in the prior 4 years, and went 2-14 with them. 26-22 with the Eagles isn't exactly impressive either.

lmao...yes forget that the Eagles were 4-12 before he got there.

The 49ers have won exactly 0 games after Chip. Obviously, they have a **** roster but it's better than it was under Chip.

You are a troll so I will stop replying to you. Not worth my time.

I don't know enough about recent Eagles teams to say for sure, but isn't it a little early to say Roseman is great at the cap? Managing the cap isn't actually particularly hard until your roster hits a higher talent level and you're having to make the tough choices on who to extend, who to let go, and how to structure contracts to not cripple you. I'm not sure Philly has reached that yet. I know Chiefs fans thought Dorsey was fine with the cap until the extensions piled up and it became clear he spent money without leaving us any outs or flexbility. I feel like the true test of Roseman in terms of the cap will come over the next offseason or two. I don't see anything in their current cap situation that makes him look particularly remarkable. The $19M in dead money isn't normally a good sign for cap management. Paying $12M this year for QBs not on roster and $7.6M next year for a backup QB aren't really inspiring either. But I feel the real test will come over the next 2 offseasons where cap space looks sparse, and decisions have to be made with Jeffery and Graham and Agholor and Bradham and Darby and Ajayi, while Cox and Ertz see their contracts balloon to full value. If he keeps the team at a high quality throughout all that, then he'll deserve the praise he's getting in this thread for cap management. But now, he really hasn't had to make many tough decisions against a tight cap or get creative with contract structures, at least as far as I know.

7 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't know enough about recent Eagles teams to say for sure, but isn't it a little early to say Roseman is great at the cap? Managing the cap isn't actually particularly hard until your roster hits a higher talent level and you're having to make the tough choices on who to extend, who to let go, and how to structure contracts to not cripple you. I'm not sure Philly has reached that yet. I know Chiefs fans thought Dorsey was fine with the cap until the extensions piled up and it became clear he spent money without leaving us any outs or flexbility. I feel like the true test of Roseman in terms of the cap will come over the next offseason or two. I don't see anything in their current cap situation that makes him look particularly remarkable. The $19M in dead money isn't normally a good sign for cap management. Paying $12M this year for QBs not on roster and $7.6M next year for a backup QB aren't really inspiring either. But I feel the real test will come over the next 2 offseasons where cap space looks sparse, and decisions have to be made with Jeffery and Graham and Agholor and Bradham and Darby and Ajayi, while Cox and Ertz see their contracts balloon to full value. If he keeps the team at a high quality throughout all that, then he'll deserve the praise he's getting in this thread for cap management. But now, he really hasn't had to make many tough decisions against a tight cap or get creative with contract structures, at least as far as I know.

Roseman managed the cap for the Eagles before Chip (starting in roughly 2008, effectively taking the GM role in 2010 where he managed the cap and Reid made personnel decisions). Still had a big say in it even after being demoted (Chip was making decisions but still used Roseman to figure out complexities and keep the cap in check). Its always been his thing (literally started with the Eagles as a salary cap intern basically). And Eagles have had a very well managed cap this whole time.

The whole backup QB dead money thing is crap - can't argue there. But Howie has shown over the past 9-10 years that he can manage the cap if nothing else. 

Archived