49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

10 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

I love The Expanse, but Characters are probably not its greatest strengths, even though they have some fantastic ones. One of the writers and the actor of Amos have a podcast together where they talk about every episode and some BTS, which is really cool (called Ty & that Guy).

Really looking forward to For All Mankind which is amazing, apparently.

I'd say For All Mankind takes a certain frame of mind to watch. Sometimes I'm into it quite a bit, sometimes I'm not. Waiting on the new season before getting apple plus? Gotta watch Ted Lasso if you do, the first season of that is off the charts good, second season less so but still ok. Honestly the only reason I keep my Apple plus subscription is so I can watch Ted Lasso at any time. 

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

I'd say For All Mankind takes a certain frame of mind to watch. Sometimes I'm into it quite a bit, sometimes I'm not. Waiting on the new season before getting apple plus? Gotta watch Ted Lasso if you do, the first season of that is off the charts good, second season less so but still ok. Honestly the only reason I keep my Apple plus subscription is so I can watch Ted Lasso at any time. 

Good idea, been waiting to get it for a while now anyway. I'm also really interested in Foundation. Good time to kick Netflix then.

1 hour ago, AustrianNiner said:

Good idea, been waiting to get it for a while now anyway. I'm also really interested in Foundation. Good time to kick Netflix then.

Depending on how much you liked the book (if you've read it), watch Foundation cautiously. It's veeery different. But if you accept that it's inspired by the book, not truly an adaptation of it, and you can take it for what it is, it's interesting, has a few great concepts, and is quite pretty. Foundation is one of my favourite books of all time. So I had to accept a lot of tweaks. I can live with the reality that the show and the book are two entirely different things.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Depending on how much you liked the book (if you've read it), watch Foundation cautiously. It's veeery different. But if you accept that it's inspired by the book, not truly an adaptation of it, and you can take it for what it is, it's interesting, has a few great concepts, and is quite pretty. Foundation is one of my favourite books of all time. So I had to accept a lot of tweaks. I can live with the reality that the show and the book are two entirely different things.

Thought about getting it a couple of times but every time I was close to buying it I remembered that I didn't read any of the other books I've bought so I didn't lol.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I second this emotion.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, AustrianNiner said:

Ok, since you mentioned it I checked it out and idk half of season 3 is out for all mankind. I think it's the best season yet.

• 1 month later...

For those who like anime (my sons love it--I'm mostly 'meh' on a lot of it), our family just finished the 1st 12 episodes of "Spy x Family" and it is fantastic. 

If you don't know the premise, it takes place in a modern fictional world where there is basically a cold war between 2 nations. In order to create peace, "Twilight" is the world's greatest spy and he goes deep cover to secretly reach key officials of the aggressive nation. To avoid detection, he has to have a family. First, he recruits a 5 year old girl from an orphanage who just happens to be able to read minds. Then, he recruits a single woman who wants to avoid society's criticisms of still being single. What he doesn't know: She is an assassin for the aggressor nation (she doesn't know he's a spy, either). So, the little girl knows all since she reads minds, but she really wants the family to work, so she keeps everyone's secrets. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I really hope House of the Dragon is as cool as it can be. Obviously tonight was the first episode, but I think I still have PTSD from GoT. 

The show has a completed story from grrm for this timeline at least. There's a good amount of this story written between fire and blood, the rogue prince and the princess and the queen

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

The show has a completed story from grrm for this timeline at least. There's a good amount of this story written between fire and blood, the rogue prince and the princess and the queen

For GoT it seems like a bunch of the actors got famous and they just had to rush it. I’m hoping that isn’t the case here; this show has some major potential.

There is so much just garbage coming out TV wise that I was pretty down about Dragons being any good. For the good for the show I will say the jousting scenes were pretty bad *$& and production is top notch. Production being good is huge, Marvel in particular has taken CGI to terrible new lows, but Amazon has had some really bad ones too with wheel of time.

For the things I didn't like as much, too much white hair. I keep thinking I'm watching what are supposed to be elves on the lord of the rings, the king's brother especially gives me that vibe. I realize that is the family trait, it just doesn't look right to me. And I wont say the story is good or bad, holding my opinion for the time being. 

10 hours ago, GW21 said:

For GoT it seems like a bunch of the actors got famous and they just had to rush it. I’m hoping that isn’t the case here; this show has some major potential.

My theory was always that it was the budget that ruined season 8. Not the actors' salaries, but the production budget for each episode. They had such big budget episodes to make, like the battle of winterfell, dany going mad, etc. So they compromised on a smaller number of episodes, so they could have those big budget episodes. But the strength of GoT was as much in its slower episodes than it was its largest ones. There was so little character development in season 8, because they deemed it more important to have big sets and CGI and everything. The best moments of season 8 were talking moments, not so much the action moments. In my opinion.