Jump to content

49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread


Forge
 Share

Subtitles?   

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

    • With
      7
    • Without
      7
    • With, but I never learned to read
      2
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

    • Books
      10
    • E-Books
      3
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?
      3


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So.....................saw rented "Spider-Man: No Way Home" and I want my evening back. What a waste of time. No, I am not kidding. So inconsistent in the writing of the story. First of all: #NotMyMJ, #NotMyFlashThompson, #NotMyAuntMay & Tom Holland is #NotMySpiderMan  These characters are so far from the comic book it is pathetic. 

I do not think I have ever seen a movie where peripheral characters were such a plot convenience...suddenly Ned can do things it takes others who knows how long to learn? VERY convenient. Yes, trying not to spoil. And was this supposed to be "Spider-Man & his Amazing friends"? If so, Iceman and Firestar were missing. 

Nor have I ever seen a super hero storyline where the hero is entirely responsible for the problem in the first place! To avoid spoilers, all I will say is: Doctor Strange was entirely correct even though Spider-Tom meant well. He was warned of the ramifications of actions and ignored them--with great power comes great responsibility and he basically shrugged and did what he wanted anyway. #NotMySpiderMan

No Spider-Man 1 (Toby) or 2(Andrew) until we're nearly an hour and 40 minutes in?! And were we trying to replicate the Sinister Six? Oh, and how about the inconsistent "Spidey-sense"? It was not there for Spider-Man 1 when he needed it...

The main thing I enjoyed about it was the Doctor Strange teaser at the end. This movie might be even worse than Spider-Man 3 due to the crap and inconsistent storyline. 

I want my evening back. Can I borrow the Time Stone, Doctor Strange? Oh, right, you don't have it anymore. 😢

Sigh

 

You should tell us how you really feel lol. My son is a massive spiderman fan so i took him to see it and he really enjoyed so i was happy with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 9erFreak77 said:

You should tell us how you really feel lol. My son is a massive spiderman fan so i took him to see it and he really enjoyed so i was happy with that. 

😝 It sucked.

How's that? Succinct enough for you? 😁

Oh, and all of my boys thought it sucked too. My wife didn't have anything good to say about it either. It was a full family miserable movie night. Ugh. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, rudyZ said:

I just realized what has annoyed me the most about the last Spider-man movie. The multiverse was just too convenient for the story telling. Why would the parallel universes throw past time villains (Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Willie Beamon, Enter Sandman, the guy wearing dirty underwear in Notting Hill), but "current" time spider-men. It was just convenient to jump ahead in the time lines for the villains, but they needed to show experienced Spider-men, instead of trying to de-age them. There's no way to know what the rules are for these multiverses, but it's easy to assume the time lines should be concurrent. So Green Goblin didn't just jump from one universe to another, he also travelled through time. GG and Doc Oc are dead in spider-Tobey's universe, no? So the only way to have them both and an older Spider-Tobey, is a time jump. And nowhere in the "rules" is it said that it can happen. So yeah, I don't know if that is THE reason I was annoyed at that movie, but it is one. While lots of people have it as their top MCU movie, I don't think it's even in my top 10. But my opinions are not worth much. I also hate that Scarlet Witch is just too powerful, and that her brother was the lamest Quicksilver in movie ever. Ultron was also one of my biggest disappointment as far as villains go, because I love James Spader, and the movie was just average. 

There, I don't think I have more objectionable MCU takes. Except that Tony creating a new unknown element in his basement is a really stupid plot. An unknown element that only one person managed to imply theoretically, and didn't tell anyone except his son, decades later, in a video collecting dust in a box somewhere. I deplore the state of science in that universe, where the work is rarely done collectively, never ever peer reviewed, and gatekept to death for ego or profit. If we did that in real life, we'd still be in the middle ages.

Having just seen it myself, I concur on your assessment of "Spider-Man: No Way Home". 

I do like Scarlet Witch, but they are making her too powerful. While Ultron was not nearly as good as it could have been (and that Quicksilver was underwhelming), I still really like all the Avenger movies (including all the Captain America movies).

New tech is okay, new elements--unless they came from another world--make me roll my eyes. I have no problem with Tony gone but I do miss Cap. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Having just seen it myself, I concur on your assessment of "Spider-Man: No Way Home". 

I do like Scarlet Witch, but they are making her too powerful. While Ultron was not nearly as good as it could have been (and that Quicksilver was underwhelming), I still really like all the Avenger movies (including all the Captain America movies).

New tech is okay, new elements--unless they came from another world--make me roll my eyes. I have no problem with Tony gone but I do miss Cap

Isn't Scarlet Witch one of the most powerful beings in the comics? 

I couldn't agree with the bolded part more. I hate how sanctimonious Tony was in the later movies after he created Ultron which killed however many people and he fractured the avengers by pitting the sides against each other. But yet he still screams at Cap after he comes back from space. Gotta have dramatic tension I know and if there wasn't friction it would be boring. Still that kind of pushed Tony down quite a bit in my eyes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Isn't Scarlet Witch one of the most powerful beings in the comics? 

I couldn't agree with the bolded part more. I hate how sanctimonious Tony was in the later movies after he created Ultron which killed however many people and he fractured the avengers by pitting the sides against each other. But yet he still screams at Cap after he comes back from space. Gotta have dramatic tension I know and if there wasn't friction it would be boring. Still that kind of pushed Tony down quite a bit in my eyes. 

I would probably be pissed if my teammate knew who killed my parents and kept it from me too; Cap acts all holier-than-thou, but that's not something a person should do. I'm definitely team Ironman. Cap just kind of bugs me for whatever reason, probably because he comes across as such a boy scout.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I would probably be pissed if my teammate knew who killed my parents and kept it from me too; Cap acts all holier-than-thou, but that's not something a person should do. I'm definitely team Ironman. Cap just kind of bugs me for whatever reason, probably because he comes across as such a boy scout.  

Team Cap with no second thoughts. Hated the idea of super hero registry! Such a violation of freedom and an extension of the Mutant Registration Act from the X-Men.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I would probably be pissed if my teammate knew who killed my parents and kept it from me too; Cap acts all holier-than-thou, but that's not something a person should do. I'm definitely team Ironman. Cap just kind of bugs me for whatever reason, probably because he comes across as such a boy scout.  

To each his own, I'm happy there are people on Tony's side. 

The parents thing is problematic on Cap's side but I understand why he kept it from Tony. It couldn't bring his parents back and it wasn't Bucky's fault given you can't hold him responsible when he was not in control of his own mind.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 11:45 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

😝 It sucked.

How's that? Succinct enough for you? 😁

Oh, and all of my boys thought it sucked too. My wife didn't have anything good to say about it either. It was a full family miserable movie night. Ugh. 

WOW. was not expecting to see this when I opened up the thread lol...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Team Cap with no second thoughts. Hated the idea of super hero registry! Such a violation of freedom and an extension of the Mutant Registration Act from the X-Men.

I disagree with you on No way home but I'll agree with you here. Once and Always, Team Cap.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I disagree with you on No way home but I'll agree with you here. Once and Always, Team Cap.

Agreed on both accounts.  In fact, No Way Home was, by far, my favorite Spiderman movie.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ataal said:

Agreed on both accounts.  In fact, No Way Home was, by far, my favorite Spiderman movie.  

 

7 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Its in my top three of Marvel films...

Loved No Way Home. I really enjoyed all the newer Spider-Man movies. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GW21 said:

 

Loved No Way Home. I really enjoyed all the newer Spider-Man movies. 

Of the three, the one I have a hard time re watching is the first one for some reason but yes overall they are good/great movies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Ataal said:

Agreed on both accounts.  In fact, No Way Home was, by far, my favorite Spiderman movie.  

 

27 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Its in my top three of Marvel films...

 

19 minutes ago, GW21 said:

 

Loved No Way Home. I really enjoyed all the newer Spider-Man movies. 

I'll respect that and leave it alone as I already said plenty. 

I really wish we could have gotten an honest, true-to-the-comic Gambit. If not in his own flick, then in an X-Men movie. The one in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" really wasn't him. The X-Men were always my fave group and Gambit my favorite of the series. I loved the storyline he was introduced (Nanny trying to save mutants from the Shadowking by regressing them to pre-adolescence) as well as the one that followed...Genosha! Now that story was amazing. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

 

 

I'll respect that and leave it alone as I already said plenty. 

I really wish we could have gotten an honest, true-to-the-comic Gambit. If not in his own flick, then in an X-Men movie. The one in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" really wasn't him. The X-Men were always my fave group and Gambit my favorite of the series. I loved the storyline he was introduced (Nanny trying to save mutants from the Shadowking by regressing them to pre-adolescence) as well as the one that followed...Genosha! Now that story was amazing. 

Did you see the cartoon in the 90s? Was that a fairly close adaptation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...