Jump to content

49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread


Forge
 Share

Subtitles?   

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

    • With
      7
    • Without
      7
    • With, but I never learned to read
      2
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

    • Books
      10
    • E-Books
      3
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?
      3


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

As opposed to bureaucrats doing picking for them? Not to mention if an event happens and they have to wait for a tribunal to act. In the universe they are in that delay could be deadly. I mean the senate and congress works roughly what? 4 hours a month?

An organization like SHIELD would in theory keep them in check.. like a branch of the military. I would say that any event involving other super-beings of course needs immediate action taken by the Avengers.. but what do they do with normal, every day atrocities? When Russia attempts to take back Ukraine, what role do the Avengers or other fringe heroes take, if any?

Edited by adamq
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I have read a lot of those. I prefer the original trilogy over most of the rest, though. "The Crystal Shard" was my favorite. It would be a tricky topic to do his story on any screen, IMO. Sad, but true. 

My favorite was the original trilogy as well.  I agree that it would be tricky.  He skips around a lot with timetables.  I would have preferred a more linear progression to the books.  And, who do you cast for a drow? And, how would they dress him up?  Makeup?  CGI?  As long as it's not animated, I'd be fine with whatever they came up with.   I think there is a lot of content to make a movie franchise out of it.  You can introduce his friends in subsequent movies.  Bruenor Battlehammer, Catti-brie, Wulfgar, Regis, Guenhwyvar, etc..    I don't know what the demand for that would be.  But, a lot of people didn't think Lord of the Rings would get much of a return when it first came out.  Oh well, a man can dream.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

The 90’s Xmen cartoon was accurate lol……i loved that cartoon even though i was to old to watch cartoons lol.

You are NEVER too old for cartoons!  Only too close-minded. I believe I was 20 at that time? 50 now.

Probably my favorite cartoon, even to this day, is "Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers"! I was 16 or 17 in the '80s when it was on (at about 7 am! Imagine: a teenager up at 7 for cartoons?!). It was a sci-Fi with a Wild West overtone. Peaceful aliens had visited earth and shared tech secrets such as hyperdrive. They had established a force for law & order called the Galaxy Rangers led by Captain Zachary Foxx (voiced by the dearly departed Jerry Orbach, the original Lumiere from "Beauty & the Beast" & Lenny Briscoe of "Law & Order").  I own the complete series and highly recommend it. One of the first anime-style shows produced entirely in the US. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

You are NEVER too old for cartoons!  Only too close-minded. I believe I was 20 at that time? 50 now.

Probably my favorite cartoon, even to this day, is "Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers"! I was 16 or 17 in the '80s when it was on (at about 7 am! Imagine: a teenager up at 7 for cartoons?!). It was a sci-Fi with a Wild West overtone. Peaceful aliens had visited earth and shared tech secrets such as hyperdrive. They had established a force for law & order called the Galaxy Rangers led by Captain Zachary Foxx (voiced by the dearly departed Jerry Orbach, the original Lumiere from "Beauty & the Beast" & Lenny Briscoe of "Law & Order").  I own the complete series and highly recommend it. One of the first anime-style shows produced entirely in the US. 

Oh i know all about Jerry Orbach i loved Law and Order …he was also in Toy Soldiers lol for whatever reason i love that movie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Forge said:

The last kingdom is bar none one of the best shows and one of my favorite shows I've seen in a long time

Finished them all or somewhere in the progression?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

Finished them all or somewhere in the progression?

We finished it last night. I had watched the first 4 seasons before, then got the gf into it so I watched it again with her and then we started the final season Thursday and finished it last night. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Forge said:

We finished it last night. I had watched the first 4 seasons before, then got the gf into it so I watched it again with her and then we started the final season Thursday and finished it last night. 

Yeah cool. I watched them all twice thru now. Great show, but some parts, tough to stomach (in terms of betrayals).

Spoiler

The Slavers ship chapter (season 2?) was rough. The hatred and following action from Brida was irritating. 

You seen Vikings? Also strong.. but gets rough to take. 

Edited by oldman9er
added spoiler
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oldman9er said:

Yeah cool. I watched them all twice thru now. Great show, but some parts, tough to stomach (in terms of betrayals).

The Slavers ship chapter (season 2?) was rough. The hatred and following action from Brida was irritating. 

You seen Vikings? Also strong.. but gets rough to take. 

The slaver ship is also my least favorite storyline. But start to finish, just a remarkably strong show. 

Loved Vikings, but I didn't like the new Netflix Vikings

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been watching a ton of Modern Marvels, How Its Made, Engineering Catastrophes, and cooking competition shows lately... if you haven't tried it yet, Discovery plus is pretty great 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw another memorable episode of "X-Files" I had forgotten about: "The Unnatural" in Season 6 which was written & directed by Duchovny! Little gray men and baseball! What an episode! 

Last night, we watched "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" and were very entertained. Sequels can be good (except for Ghostbusters 2--that should never have been made and Murray concurs!), reboots...not. In my opinion, Egon's granddaughter steals the show. So much fun. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Marvel is in a slump

You didn't like the new Dr. Strange? 

I think Thor Love and Thunder will pull them out. I can't wait for that movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GW21 said:

You didn't like the new Dr. Strange? 

I think Thor Love and Thunder will pull them out. I can't wait for that movie. 

I think the last 3 have been pretty bad. Spiderman was all fan service but the movie wasn't great. Eternals felt like a DC movie. Strange had a host of issues and was ultimately maybe one of the worst Marvel movies they have done imo. You either go the full Raimi or don't have Raimi direct. 

Even Shang Chi was pretty weak all things considered, but I'd consider that more of a "meh" movie more so than anything. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the last 3 have been pretty bad. Spiderman was all fan service but the movie wasn't great. Eternals felt like a DC movie. Strange had a host of issues and was ultimately maybe one of the worst Marvel movies they have done imo. You either go the full Raimi or don't have Raimi direct. 

Even Shang Chi was pretty weak all things considered, but I'd consider that more of a "meh" movie more so than anything. 

I loved Spider-Man. Eternals was kind of garbage, I'll agree there. I still haven't fully seen the first Dr. Strange, but thought this one was ok. Shang Chi didn't really do much for me either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...