Consensus Mock Draft - Post Combine - Pick 8 Atlanta Falcons - Jermaine Johnson II

Kenrik

Consensus Mock Draft - Post Combine - Pick 8 Atlanta Falcons  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Top Pick

• Kyle Hamilton
    • George Karlaftis
    • Derek Stingley
    • Trent McDuffie
    • Devin Lloyd
    • Charles Cross
    • Trevor Penning
    • Jermaine Johnson II
    • Kenny Pickett
    • Jordan Davis
    • Matt Corral
    • Garret Wilson
    • Drake London
    • Chris Olave
    • Other
  2. 2. Second Pick

• Kyle Hamilton
    • George Karlaftis
    • Derek Stingley
    • Trent McDuffie
    • Devin Lloyd
    • Charles Cross
    • Trevor Penning
    • Jermaine Johnson II
    • Kenny Pickett
    • Jordan Davis
    • Matt Corral
    • Garret Wilson
    • Drake London
    • Chris Olave
    • Other
  3. 3. Third Pick

• Kyle Hamilton
    • George Karlaftis
    • Derek Stingley
    • Trent McDuffie
    • Devin Lloyd
    • Charles Cross
    • Trevor Penning
    • Jermaine Johnson II
    • Kenny Pickett
    • Jordan Davis
    • Matt Corral
    • Garret Wilson
    • Drake London
    • Chris Olave
    • Other

Going to adopt the "1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice" method. Meaning your first choice is worth 3 points, 2nd is worth 2, and 3rd is worth 1. Please do not select the same player multiple times in one selection. If you do, only the highest value will be taken for that and the lower duplicate votes will be discounted.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - EDGE - Aidan Hutchinson

2. Detroit Lions – EDGE - Kayvon Thibodeaux

3. Houston Texans – OT - Evan Neal

4. New York Jets – OT - Ikem Ekwonu

5. New York Giants – EDGE Travon Walker

6. Carolina Panthers – QB - Malik Willis

7. New York Giants – CB - Sauce Gardner

8. Atlanta Falcons -

More options will be added in later picks. If after 20+ votes the selection is clearly one person as the favorite we will move on to the next pick. Otherwise, it will be ~24 hours before the poll closes. If there are 2/3 options that are close, there will be a runoff. This is who you think they WILL pick, not who they SHOULD pick.

Edited by Kenrik
Title update.

Well, I for one will actually explain my logic.

Given that Atlanta is very much a favorite to be in the running for a Top 10, at minimum, pick next year - I really don't see the point in sinking into a QB that doesn't have an elite ceiling (and while I actually don't hate Willis, I don't see him as having an elite ceiling without A TON of technical ironing).  Edge rushers obviously need help, but barring a trade back the value isn't great and I don't love reaching here.  Karlaftis and Johnson wouldn't be bad picks, but they'd be reaches inside the Top 10 to me - Johnson, possibly having the ceiling to mitigate that, but I'm still not totally sold.  And while the WR corps is bottom 5 in the league, I'm not seeing a guy (unless they just want to draft Jameson Williams and are fine with him not playing till October at the soonest - and coming in cold with Mariota with no camp reps and the type of receiver that Mariota doesn't exactly excel with, I could only put WR at 3rd priority in this case.

So my logic led me to maximizing the value in this pick which then says, if we accept the Atlanta offense is going to be muddled-at-best, you do what you can to make the defense as stout as possible.  You have one very good man-coverage corner in AJ Terrell and a Dean Peas system that is almost entirely man-coverage, so with a nod towards position premium I prioritized Stingley over Hamilton, also because there isn't the need to rush Stingley past what he outright earns in camp and practice because they do have Casey Heyward  on-roster, and the presence of a mentor IMO lessens the boom/bust coefficient.

Im going

Jermaine Johnson
Kyle Hamilton
Jordan Davis

In that order as i think edge rusher is the most important position we should take here and Johnson is the 3rd best in this draft to me behind Hutch and Thibs.   Hamilton is probably BPA here but Safety as much as i love the position isn't as important as edge rusher for guys i think are worthy of top 10 picks.

Davis i think just helps the team as a whole more than most players in this draft and i think he is a top 10 quality guy that fits the 3-4 defense we run perfectly and helps everyone else on the defense on the line and at LB.

QB and WR weren't picked because their was no player at each position worthy of the pick in this draft to me at 8.  While also adding in that WR is super deep this year and taking 1 at 8 is just ignorant when you can get the same type of player in the 2nd round you can take at 8 in this draft pretty much.

I still think Olave, Pickens, and Jameson Williams are all better WR's than London and Garrett coming out and those 3 you can get late 1st to early 2nd probably.

1 hour ago, Falconof Shadows said:

If they take Hamilton they are fools

As of right now im the deciding pick they was tied and i went johnson over Hamilton but it was super close Hamilton is a beast and my favorite player in this draft maybe.  If all of these players were gone   Hutch, Thibs, Johnson, Neal, Ekwonu, Sauce, and maybe Walker then Hamilton is guaranteed my choice at 8 and i might take him over Walker or Sauce not sure yet.

16 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Well, I for one will actually explain my logic.

Given that Atlanta is very much a favorite to be in the running for a Top 10, at minimum, pick next year - I really don't see the point in sinking into a QB that doesn't have an elite ceiling (and while I actually don't hate Willis, I don't see him as having an elite ceiling without A TON of technical ironing).  Edge rushers obviously need help, but barring a trade back the value isn't great and I don't love reaching here.  Karlaftis and Johnson wouldn't be bad picks, but they'd be reaches inside the Top 10 to me - Johnson, possibly having the ceiling to mitigate that, but I'm still not totally sold.  And while the WR corps is bottom 5 in the league, I'm not seeing a guy (unless they just want to draft Jameson Williams and are fine with him not playing till October at the soonest - and coming in cold with Mariota with no camp reps and the type of receiver that Mariota doesn't exactly excel with, I could only put WR at 3rd priority in this case.

So my logic led me to maximizing the value in this pick which then says, if we accept the Atlanta offense is going to be muddled-at-best, you do what you can to make the defense as stout as possible.  You have one very good man-coverage corner in AJ Terrell and a Dean Peas system that is almost entirely man-coverage, so with a nod towards position premium I prioritized Stingley over Hamilton, also because there isn't the need to rush Stingley past what he outright earns in camp and practice because they do have Casey Heyward  on-roster, and the presence of a mentor IMO lessens the boom/bust coefficient.

Johnson is phenomenal. He’s definitely a top 15 pick and someone the Falcons should be thrilled to have. As a Saints fan…he’s one of the guys I want the Falcons to get least. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 5:04 PM, brownie man said:

I went 

Garrett Wilson- their receiver depth chart is an embarrassment. Have a guy there for the qb you take next year 

Jermaine Johnson- they have no defense 

Jordan Davis - they have no defense 

Their WR depth is no different than their EDGE depth if you actually took a look at the roster. Jermaine Johnson is better than Wilson. It's not rocket science.

Falcons WR Depth

Auden Tate

Olamide Zacchaeus

Damiere Byrd

Frank Darby

Kha'Darel Hodge

Falcons EDGE depth

Lorenzo Carter

Adetokunbo Ogundeji

James Vaughters

Uh, tell me how the EDGE depth is any better than the WR depth? And since you don't have a QB and your team posted a league low sacks by 11 less than the 2nd worst pass rush, how an EDGE would be the wrong pick.

54 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Jermaine Johnson is better than Wilson. It's not rocket science.

Uh, tell me how the EDGE depth is any better than the WR depth? And since you don't have a QB and your team posted a league low sacks by 11 less than the 2nd worst pass rush, how an EDGE would be the wrong pick.

Uhhhh no he’s not. Garrett Wilson is a better WR prospect than Johnson is at DE. If that’s what’s you believe just be prepared to say I told you so. 

there will be plenty of DE talent in the second round. Drake Jackson, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, David Ojabo, Cameron Thomas, and the list goes on. 

ima make it simple for you 

HAVE THE RECEIVERS ALREADY ON YOUR ROSTER SO YOUR YOUNG QB CAN HAVE SUCCESS AND DEVELOP.

You draft Bryce Love or Stroud next year and look he’s already got an offense he can grow in while you draft any other position you want from them on. 

You guys suck and you’re going to suck for 2-3 more years at least. Why you in such a rush for a defensive end?

THE FALCONS ARE NOT GOING TO BE NEAR THE PLAYOFFS, OR COMPETING IN GENERAL ANYTIME SOON!!!!

Prepare yourself to suck and be glad you’ll be in a position to pick a better QB next year and have some skill players ready to go so the young QB can have success. 

Edited by brownie man

57 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Uhhhh no he’s not. Garrett Wilson is a better WR prospect than Johnson is at DE. If that’s what’s you believe just be prepared to say I told you so. 

there will be plenty of DE talent in the second round. Drake Jackson, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, David Ojabo, Cameron Thomas, and the list goes on. 

ima make it simple for you 

HAVE THE RECEIVERS ALREADY ON YOUR ROSTER SO YOUR YOUNG QB CAN HAVE SUCCESS AND DEVELOP.

You draft Bryce Love or Stroud next year and look he’s already got an offense he can grow in while you draft any other position you want from them on. 

You guys suck and you’re going to suck for 2-3 more years at least. Why you in such a rush for a defensive end?

THE FALCONS ARE NOT GOING TO BE NEAR THE PLAYOFFS, OR COMPETING IN GENERAL ANYTIME SOON!!!!

Prepare yourself to suck and be glad you’ll be in a position to pick a better QB next year and have some skill players ready to go so the young QB can have success. 

For what the Falcons expect from their wide receivers and what Arthur Smith wants, Garrett Wilson is like WR5 or 6 in the draft. Not even WR1. 

the Falcons need a premiere pass rusher and they haven’t had one since John Abraham. There’s 4 of those in this draft. They need to take one of those. FOR ATLANTA, EDGE fits won’t rank nearly as high as any of these WRs. And if they do go WR, I’d expect Drake London or Jameson Williams due to elite traits they would actually want. Not a guy who’s Calvin Ridley part 2 when they couldn’t figure out how to use Calvin Ridley part 1. 

Taking a WR high without having QB settled, WHEN HE ISNT A JULIO/CHASE type is just ******* stupid. It’s not how you build a roster. The most important spots on a roster to build and make sure there are talent are QB, LT, EDGE, and CB. That’s how you build your roster. The Falcons have LT and CB. They need EDGE and QB before they consider a WR. If they punt on QB this year, then they look at WR in the 2nd. But in the context of what Atlanta likes and how they build their schemes and their team, Wilson sure as **** isn’t the guy. 

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Also, why force a WR if the team sucks and is going to suck for years? No great super bowl winning team has taken a WR in the top 10 anyway. They either bring in veterans or they build mid round guys. 

Uhh Jamarr Chase just helped Cinci make it there last year?

You must not have seen Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, and Christian Kirk get paid 100 million each. 

the value of WRs is higher than it’s every been. Oakland just traded TWO FIRSTS for Davante. 

we’ll just have to see come draft day. I think the better move is to have weapons in place for a young qb than spending assets on a pass rusher when you’re not going anywhere anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Uhh Jamarr Chase just helped Cinci make it there last year?

You must not have seen Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, and Christian Kirk get paid 100 million each. 

the value of WRs is higher than it’s every been. Oakland just traded TWO FIRSTS for Davante. 

we’ll just have to see come draft day. I think the better move is to have weapons in place for a young qb than spending assets on a pass rusher when you’re not going anywhere anytime soon. 

And Garrett Wilson isn’t anywhere close to Ja’Marr chase. Or Devante. Or tyreek. Kirk also got way overpaid. I think it’s better to find the QB and then get weapons for him. I also think in this draft the WRs who fit Atlanta are going to be there in the 2nd. And again, Wilson isn’t that guy for Atlanta.