Did a live mock draft w/ other people for the Giants...

TheRealMcCoy

FHVcSYB.png

I pivoted to the Giants after Eagles got taken. Had a couple Giants fans begging me to pick with them, but I tried to do y'all justice.

The only pick I might have messed up IMO was the Paschal pick. I left my computer and other people made their picks quick and Giants came back on the clock and by the time I got back there was only like a 2 or 3 seconds on the clock so I just quickly went to the first player I saw that I liked quite a bit. I really wanted to get a LB at the beginning of the 3rd like Quay Walker. Think that would've been a steal and he would be a great ILB in a 3-4, but getting Beavers with the last pick helped take some weight on my shoulders for not getting him at the beginning of the 3rd. Plus, I do think Paschal is a 3rd round prospect and very strong like he bowls over OL strong. Think he could be a nice fit as a 4i like TDN says for his fit.

I have Sauce as a top 5 player in the class and I debated back and forth with Ekwonu and Neal. Think Neal is safer, but Ekwonu has the higher ceiling. Neal played RT at Bama before playing LT this year, so you could just slide him over there pretty easy if you want to keep Thomas where he's at which is probably best after he had a better season this past year. 

I was debating between Ojabo and Mafe at EDGE cause I'm not really a Roche guy, but not sure how you guys feel about that. I ended up deciding on Kenyon Green, cause he just seems like such a safe prospect and remaking that OL is a priority. Plug him right in there at LG next to Andrew Thomas and let him go to work. Looking at your guys depth chart I didn't realize how bad your center situation is. 

I think Dulcich is a top 3 or so TE and made more sense than the WRs that were on the board.

If there was a next pick in this mock I probably would've gone after a center for you guys, cause I don't see anybody on the roster I think I want starting. Luke Fortner probably would've been my target at the top of the 5th round cause he was the best center left on the board and would've been pretty nice value too as some have him as a 3rd round guy.

Let me know what you guys think. 

• Like 1

I don’t think we need Paschal but you said it was a mistake. Otherwise it’s a very good draft. I’d be ecstatic with Green at 36. Dulcich is overrated and an Engram clone in terms of all his weaknesses, isn’t a good blocker tries hard tho, and suffers from concentration drops more than you’d like. Not a fan of his. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

I don’t think we need Paschal but you said it was a mistake.

Yeah, I mean trust me I like Paschal, but I don't think he needed to be the pick there for you guys. I like Beavers where I took him, but I'd rather have got Quay Walker with high upside at the start of the 3rd for y'all and just drafted whoever was BPA in the Beavers spot. I get the concentration drops, but you can fix that. I think you are drafting a TE that high more for receiving ability than anything and think he could stretch the seam and is a better route runner than given credit for and thought that was an appropriate spot for him to go, but I do understand everyone is gonna have different feelings about these TEs. Some will have Dulcich TE1 (I think Kollmann's recent rankings had him there) and some have him inside the top 3 or 4, so I don't think its really a reach by any means. I thought about going for pure upside with Jelani Woods too. As far as Green I just thought that he's someone who could've went to the Cowboys at 24 (they brought him in for a 30 visit and are hot after a guard) and in the early 2nd was too safe of a pick to pass up on for an edge rusher like Ojabo coming off an Achilles or Mafe.

You guys have a great chance to have an amazing draft class. Not sure if you saw Dane's 7 round mock, but started similar to mine and was one of the best of every team. Jets also had a great draft too.

New York Giants
RD. (PICK) NAME, POS., SCHOOL
1 (5)
Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
1 (7)
Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
2 (36)
Arnold Ebiketie, Edge, Penn State
3 (67)
Dylan Parham, OG/C, Memphis
3 (81)
John Metchie, WR, Alabama
4 (112)
James Cook, RB, Georgia
5 (147)
Dane Belton, S, Iowa
5 (173)
Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina
6 (182)
Jeremiah Gemmel, LB, North Carolina

Neal, Gardner and Green would have me doing cartwheels. All good picks at positions of need.

As you said, Quay Walker seems like a better fit than Pascal. At TE I would prefer a guy who can block and doesn't have concentration drops; Otton, Ruckert or Ferguson come to mind. Beavers is good with schemed blitzes, but his skills might be a better fit for zone defense.

Luke Fortner would be a nice addition at center. So would a guard who can switch to center if needed, like Cole Strange.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 9:59 PM, y*so*blu said:

doesn't have concentration drops

You guys are scarred from Evan Engram huh? lol

On 4/16/2022 at 9:59 PM, y*so*blu said:

So would a guard who can switch to center if needed, like Cole Strange.

He was off the board at the end of the 2nd round, so he was never an option, but I do like Strange from what I saw at the Senior Bowl and the little bit of his tape I've seen. He came on a small Eagles podcast (which I thought was really cool of him) for like an hour long interview and was super nice and you could tell he loved football and was a hard worker. Parham is another one of those that could possibly play center or guard that I really like. I think this interior class is underrated and you guys should be able to find good options on day 2. 

• Like 1

Was trading down for a first in next year draft an option. If two of the top 3 tackles are still there when we pick at 5 I could see them trading down with 5 and the Giants still get a top 3 tackle with the #7 pick. That is the only setup I would like more than what you currently did with the picks. Granted I am not into college football and have no idea who most of college players are. Is the safety you drafted someone that can replace Logan Ryan or he is more just quality depth?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Was trading down for a first in next year draft an option.

I don't think there was any trades in that mock. But, yeah if y'all don't think you can't get two top 5 players on your board and a trade offer for a 1st next year for moving down is on the table it would probably be smart to take it. 

If two of the top 3 tackles are still there when we pick at 5 I could see them trading down with 5 and the Giants still get a top 3 tackle with the #7 pick.

Yeah, if you could still get one of the top tackles at 7 and pick up a 1st next year that would be a pretty great result. Not sure how far down you would have to move or who would be moving up. Are the Saints moving up for a QB? I keep hearing the indication is they think they think they can compete (believe they've swept the Bucs the past 2 years) and are looking for a tackle and receiver. The Saints already gave up their 1st rounder next year to the Eagles I just realized as I'm typing lol, so that's off the table. Yeah, I just don't know who is moving that far up that they'll give away 1st next year, but Giants should at least consider trade options if a good one presents itself. I think there could be trades in this 1st round, but honestly since its not a great QB class its gonna be harder to get the kind of value you guys got with your trade back last year and I'm just not sure any team would give you enough value to make it worth your while to move away from a top prospect of your choice at 5. Just my 2 cents though.

That is the only setup I would like more than what you currently did with the picks. Granted I am not into college football and have no idea who most of college players are.

I appreciate that and its cool lol. I wasn't as into this college season as previous ones, but still watched a decent amount during and of course went back and watched game tapes from a bunch of guys. I tried to remake your OL a bit and get you a stud corner that could be the cheaper/better replacement for Bradberry. I think if you got Sauce, then you would explore trades for him on day 2 to see if you could get another pick in there, but honestly I don't know what his value would be.

Is the safety you drafted someone that can replace Logan Ryan or he is more just quality depth?

I actually didn't draft you guys a safety in that 4 round mock. Dane Brugler who is the head draft guy at The Athletic and comes out with the biggest draft guide every year is the one who did that mock a few posts up in his 7 round mock. 

STRENGTHS: Patient, composed athlete in his drops … balances his eyes between the quarterback and routes to get a head start on jumping the ball path … takes calculated risks, coming off his coverage to overlap and make a play in another area … shows soft hands a natural sense of timing to finish interceptions (second in the Big Ten with five interceptions in 2021) … trusts his angles to maintain proper spatial relationships in zone … comfortable turning and matching the physicality of tight ends in man … avoids penalties (zero in 2021, two in his career) … his tackling improved as he started to trust his break down and finish techniques.

WEAKNESSES: Average frame/length and needs to continue adding bulk and defining his body … has adequate speed but doesn’t move like a 4.43 athlete, especially in man coverage vs. slot receivers … movements show hints of tightness, and lacks explosiveness out of his pedal … his effectiveness drops the farther he travels from the line of scrimmage … inconsistent timing as a take-on player and struggles to avoid blockers … he will create off-balanced angles for himself in the run game … doesn’t consistently bring his lower body as a tackler … below-average experience on special teams coverages … zero interception yards in 2021.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Iowa, Belton played the “Cash” position in defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s scheme, lining up as a hybrid strong safety and outside linebacker. He was a First Team All-Big Ten performer in 2021 and was one of only seven Power 5 defenders with at least five interceptions last season. Belton plays with heady reaction skills, and his eyes lead him to the catch point where he can make plays on the ball naturally. However, he lacks sudden twitch in his movements and lacks consistency down the field. Overall, Belton doesn’t play as explosively as his testing numbers might suggest, but he floats naturally with the instincts and ball skills for underneath zones. He projects best as a down nickel safety in the NFL, although he needs to develop his strength and be more consistent vs. the run to see steady playing time.

GRADE: 5th-6th Round

This was Brugler's write-up on Dane Belton, so you can judge for yourself if you think its a good fit to replace Ryan.

I think there is still quite a few safeties available on the open market, so if you don't get one somewhat early in the draft you might be able to sign one in the 3rd wave of FA which likely heats up after the draft. If of course you have the money for it. I know you guys have A LOT of cap space coming to you next year. Just gotta endure this year. I think Giants probably take their jump in 2023, especially if they can find a better QB than DJ. Not sure if you guys still have much hope for him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 12:24 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:
On 4/21/2022 at 2:30 PM, Go_Giants said:

Is the safety you drafted someone that can replace Logan Ryan or he is more just quality depth?

I actually didn't draft you guys a safety in that 4 round mock. Dane Brugler who is the head draft guy at The Athletic and comes out with the biggest draft guide every year is the one who did that mock a few posts up in his 7 round mock. 

STRENGTHS: Patient, composed athlete in his drops … balances his eyes between the quarterback and routes to get a head start on jumping the ball path … takes calculated risks, coming off his coverage to overlap and make a play in another area … shows soft hands a natural sense of timing to finish interceptions (second in the Big Ten with five interceptions in 2021) … trusts his angles to maintain proper spatial relationships in zone … comfortable turning and matching the physicality of tight ends in man … avoids penalties (zero in 2021, two in his career) … his tackling improved as he started to trust his break down and finish techniques.

WEAKNESSES: Average frame/length and needs to continue adding bulk and defining his body … has adequate speed but doesn’t move like a 4.43 athlete, especially in man coverage vs. slot receivers … movements show hints of tightness, and lacks explosiveness out of his pedal … his effectiveness drops the farther he travels from the line of scrimmage … inconsistent timing as a take-on player and struggles to avoid blockers … he will create off-balanced angles for himself in the run game … doesn’t consistently bring his lower body as a tackler … below-average experience on special teams coverages … zero interception yards in 2021.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Iowa, Belton played the “Cash” position in defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s scheme, lining up as a hybrid strong safety and outside linebacker. He was a First Team All-Big Ten performer in 2021 and was one of only seven Power 5 defenders with at least five interceptions last season. Belton plays with heady reaction skills, and his eyes lead him to the catch point where he can make plays on the ball naturally. However, he lacks sudden twitch in his movements and lacks consistency down the field. Overall, Belton doesn’t play as explosively as his testing numbers might suggest, but he floats naturally with the instincts and ball skills for underneath zones. He projects best as a down nickel safety in the NFL, although he needs to develop his strength and be more consistent vs. the run to see steady playing time.

GRADE: 5th-6th Round

Expand  

This was Brugler's write-up on Dane Belton, so you can judge for yourself if you think its a good fit to replace Ryan.

I think there is still quite a few safeties available on the open market, so if you don't get one somewhat early in the draft you might be able to sign one in the 3rd wave of FA which likely heats up after the draft. If of course you have the money for it. I know you guys have A LOT of cap space coming to you next year. Just gotta endure this year. I think Giants probably take their jump in 2023, especially if they can find a better QB than DJ. Not sure if you guys still have much hope for him.

There you go @Go_Giants!

Dane Brugler was right with his Dane Belton mock draft pick..... guess it takes a Dane to accurately mock a Dane lol.