Final Mock 2022

Madmike90

Draft…

Round 2 - Pick #39…

16821438.jpeg

UT…Perrion Winfrey…6-4” 290lbs…Oklahoma…

Poles & Flus have made it very clear that they want to build from the trenches out…that has to be done on both sides of the ball…the need for an elite UT in the defence is huge…in Indy the Colts went out there way trading a 1st round pick for DeForest Buckner…we clearly tried to make a big splash in FA with Larry Ogunjobi and while I do believe that Justin Jones is a solid addition up front I don’t see a game changer…Winfrey could develop into just that…at 6-4” and around 290lbs with outstanding length given his arms are over 35” he is the prototype for the position…he has big heavy hands and uses that & his length to his advantage to hit most interior OL in the chest before they lay a hand on him…his athletic profile is also that of a guy who can win one on one from the UT spot when rushing the passer…the other thing that jumps out on film is his motor…he chases down every play and fits the HITS principle to a tee…his tape at time looks underwhelming but a lot of that is down to Oklahoma’s two gap front…getting him into this scheme really would allow him to thrive…where he needs clear improvement is against the run but not having to two gap will improve that…I would also expect him to improve against the run as he gets a bit old and more experienced given he is only 21 years old…I see true game changing and playmaking skills.

The Bears trade #48 to #60 & #91 to the Bucs…Tampa is all in on one last run with Brady and could move up for a player they think can play instantly at a high level to help them towards to playoffs.

Round 2 – Pick #60…

a6c5569ffdfdbc0f4868c192b2fb14e8?width=1

WR…Alec Pierce…6-3” 213lbs…Cincinnati…

The next few picks should be about adding an OL & WR…here I have us taking a WR for the simple fact I suspect more receivers will have been taken at this point than interior OL and with us picking just 11 picks later I think we should take the BPA at either position…here I have that being Alec Pierce…with outstanding size at 6-3” 213lbs alongside 33” arms he brings an element to this offence we don’t currently have which is a vertical threat who can go up and get it when Fields chucks one up under pressure…Pierce’s 40” vertical and volleyball history insure he has real jumps and he has learned how to adjust to the ball while staying physical in the air to box out smaller CBs…that physicality makes up for his lack of separation skills as he is just flat out stronger than most DBs are…with 4.43 speed he is plenty fast as well…where Pierce struggles is his routes are a little one paced and he is a bit of a one trick pony who most runs fades or go routes…he will need to become more well developed in his route running in the pros to develop into anything more but the traits are there and he would be a strong compliment to Mooney early in his career.

Round 3 - Pick #71…

Strange-Cole.jpg

OG…Cole Strange…6-5” 308lbs…Chattanooga…

Now we come back in for an OG which given the holes we have up front is essential…what we have going for us is this scheme allows you to target guys later as they don’t need to be truly elite prospects more they need to have the physical traits to play in the scheme…for me Strange is a pure zone OG and personally I would plug him in at LG and more Whitehair to RG as I see Strange as a part of the future while Whitehair will more than likely be gone after this season and Strange’s skill set is better suited to the left side…Strange at 6-5” 308lbs Strange fits more the mould of the type of OL Getsy has had in GB as he has OT traits and even some experience playing on the outside…while his arms are only 33” long that isn’t as important at OG…what Strange brings is real athletic upside showing not only explosive traits but strength as well…he has strong hands and a nasty streak where he wants to drive his man out the play and has the athleticism to do that on all levels…he would also add toughness and smarts to the OL…I suspect some teams will question his level of competition and some won’t like his body composition as he is slim guy who carries very little bulk…something that we know Poles values but others won’t…I think he could be a long term LG for this team.

Round 3 - Pick #91… 

usa_today_17016546.0.jpg

CB…Alontae Taylor…6-0” 195lbs…Tennessee…

I feel there is still a ton of turn over to come at the CB position with guys like Kindle Vildor & Duke Shelley potentially not even making the team when all is said and done…I expect us to add youth at the position as well as a veteran after the draft…Taylor would be the first guy in that process…we know what is needed from the CBs in this scheme…size, length, physicality, tackling ability and ball production…Taylor ticks a lot of those boxes at 6-0” 200lbs with over 32” arms…he uses that length really well in press coverage to slow receivers at the LOS but also has the athletic profile to run with most given he ran 4.36 at the combine then had a 39” vertical at his pro day…he likes to come up in run support and tackle while attacking the ball…what will hold him back is he doesn’t have elite ball production and in some schemes he will be viewed as a safety (Dane Bugler projects him to FS) but in this scheme he has all the traits to be an excellent fit across from Johnson…best case scenario he beats out a vet this year…worst case he is a capable backup at multiple positions in the secondary in year one and can start next year.

Round 5 - Pick #147…

r948950_1296x729_16-9.jpg

S…Josh Jobe…6-0” 190lbs…Alabama…

Now for a guy I project to being a safety who was a college CB…Flus’ defence needs high production at the UT, WLB and Nickelback position…however the “Cover 2” has also always needed good play from the SS position…especially in todays game given how versatile they need to be in nickel sometimes acting as a 3rd LB and sometimes as a deep safety covering half the field…Jobe is a guy who brings solid size for a DB at 6-0” 190lbs with over 32 ½” arms…as a CB he is a bit grabby in coverage and gives up too many penalties which is the main reason I see him as a safety at the next level…at safety he can cover space more than playing in man to man coverage and has the range to excel there…against the run he might be the biggest head hunter at CB in this draft loving to come up and tackle guys when he gets the chance…he will want to attack the ball as much as possible and has the physical strength to be a factor there…I think at best he is a longer term starter at either safety spot…at worse he is another guy who can offer you depth right across the defensive backfield and be an outstanding special teams player.

Round 5 - Pick #149…

ghows-IR-90f7bd73-f612-26b1-e053-0100007

OT…Vederian Lowe…6-5” 315lbs…Illinois…

I suspect that Poles is pretty high on Teven Jenkins in a number of ways…he is clearly an athletic, tough & physical player with a nasty attitude which is exactly what Poles wants…that said the back injury is still a concern especially considering it has been two different issues and the size of him…no back issue for an OL is a good thing…I also suspect that Poles will view him as a RT more than a LT…I think he starts on the left side of the line this year but long term I could see him as a RT…Borom is a guy who didn’t make things look pretty last season but was effective and should start on the right side this year but I suspect Poles might see him more as a swing tackle moving forward…that said it will be really interesting to see his body composition this season and hopefully he can really push for a starting role long term…either way we need a swing tackle and development piece who we think can eventually play some LT…enter Lowe who brings prototype size at 6-5” 315lbs with 35”+ arms…he has left tackle feet and combined with that length makes it tough on edge rushers trying to run the arch…he also has the frame and power to anchor when bull rushed…his pass pro is ahead of his run blocking for me especially when it comes to consistency…when he gets it right he uses his power and active feet to drive guys out of the play in Illinois zone scheme however at times he misses his initial punch and finds himself off balance…proper coaching will help with that as he has the physical ability to become a quality all round tackle in this scheme…IMO he is the most underrated OT in the class probably because he played on a terrible Illinois team.

Round 6 - #184… 

Wake-Forest-WR-Jaquarii-Roberson.jpg

WR…Jaquarii Roberson…6-1” 185lbs…Wake Forest…

Another highly underrated prospect in round 6 who provides depth and development potential at a position of need…this receiver class is super deep as you can tell given just how little you hear about Roberson…highly productive in the ACC with 133 receptions for 2,004 yards at an average of 15.1 YPC and 16 TDs in his last 22 games…he has gained those yards from all three receiver spots and isn’t just locked in to being on outside guy…being 6-1” 185lbs with 32” arms he has good size and athletically brings good traits with a 4.5 forty alongside a 40” vertical which shows on the field with his ability to go up and get the ball…what is really impressive is his strong hands and how he can set up DBs with his route running to create separation…I feel he could carve out a role on offensive pretty quickly given our lack of depth there.

The Bears trade QB Nick Foles to the Bengals for pick #252 in the 7th round…the Bengals won’t want their season derailed if Burrows misses a game or two and Foles can at least keep the ship afloat with a ton of talent around him…we use the pick to stop us having the fight over our top UDFA on the board.

Round 7 – Pick #252…

adam-anderson-georgia-football.jpg?w=100

DE…Adam Anderson…6-4” 235lbs…Georgia…

On paper Anderson is probably a 2nd or 3rd round talent coming from an extremely talented Georgia front he still stood out for his athletic traits…at 6-4” 235lbs he is clearly undersized for an every down DE in the NFL but I am a huge believer in having a designated out and out pass rusher in this scheme…much like rookie year Mark Anderson was for Lovie…we should have no intention of ever making these guys starters but let them do what they do well on 3rd down…Anderson has freakish length with almost 35 ½” arms…he ran the 40 in 4.57 and had a vertical of 39”…his explosiveness and ability to close on QBs jumps off the film…so why is he a 7th round pick? Anderson was accused of rape and suspended from Georgia in November…those investigations are still ongoing but as of March Anderson’s lawyer filed for dismissal of the case and the fact Anderson was allowed to work out at Georgia’s pro day say that there is a strong believe he is innocent…Poles come from KC who have given plenty of guys 2nd chances so for such a low pick taking a risk of Anderson’s upside makes a lot of sense. 

UDFA...

691907a487b140d694471d844aa2dfb8.jpg?w=1

WR…Devon Williams…6-5” 210lbs…Oregon…

Gesty is use to having some big WRs at his disposal especially after last year with Lazard, ESB & MVS all being around the 6-5” mark…adding Pierce gives us a bigger WR as does signing ESB from the Packers but I still think he will want to add more size on the outside and Williams offers elite size and length at 6-5” 210lbs with over 34” arms…I doubt he would ever develop into a starter but as a red zone weapon there is no doubt he could have a role there.

987a71ed-1ad4-422f-bf30-dbd13cceb026-TCL                                                                                                              

OLB…James Houston…6-0” 245lbs…Jackson State…

I fully expect us to sign a veteran LB to play SLB and add depth at the other two spots but behind that I feel we need to add some guys that Flus and co can work and develop into starting role players moving forward…Houston is the perfect example of that as a guy with real upside and production…at 6-0” 245lbs he brings real size as a SLB and has unique length for a 6-0” guy with over 34” arms…he is an excellent pass rusher and put up insane numbers as a down linemen last year…while in the pros he will need to stand up he would bring that skill set to the SLB spot and give us more versatility for when Alan Williams wants to blitz more.

SPT-UTFB29-89.jpg

NB…Sam Womack…5-9” 190lbs…Toledo…

Flus goes back home to find himself hopefully another Kenny Moore type of Nickelback…Tavon Young is an excellent signing to start at nickel and if he can stay healthy then he will be one of our better DBs but given his history we need to make sure we have someone we are comfortable with stepping in to that role if needs be…I don’t believe that guy is Duke Shelley so we need to find a talent who brings the traits to develop into a starter…Womack is your typically sized nickel at 5-9” but does have good length with almost 32” arms which we know is a big deal for Flus…he the forty in the high 4.3s and had a 36” vertical at his pro day…where he excels on the field is getting his hands on the ball having 46 PBUS and 5 INTs in his career…I feel he has far better coverage instincts than Shelley does.

8877553_65c29474c40841a290bbf9c58b86957d

CB…Sam Webb…6-0” 203lbs…Missouri Western…

More CB help and competition for Kindle Vildor…I think he was so overmatched last year there is a chance he doesn’t make this team as we know what Flus wants in his CBs and I am not sure Vildor first that mould…Webb is another small school player but from the little I have seen of him seems to play a much more physical brand of football…at 6-0” 203lbs with over 32” arms he is another lengthy player who combined with a 42 ½” vertical is tough to throw the ball over when he is playing in those shallow zones…he has real speed to run deep with receivers as well running 4.5 in the forty…coming from his level of competition he may look physically dominant because of that but as a UDFA he is well worth a look.

876054322.jpg

P…Blake Hayes…6-5” 225lbs…Illinois…

Punters are people too! And we need one…Hayes is an interesting guy as he causes returners all sorts of problems due to the fact he is a lefty and no returner enjoys the way the ball spins differently coming off his foot…not only that but as an Aussie he has multiple different techniques when kicking drop the drop ball AFL style where he can drill it and make the ball bounce awkwardly to a more traditional booming punt his versatility would be a nice change up from O’Donnell…decent athlete too.

Post Draft FA…

daryl-williams-1-copy.jpg?quality=75&str

OL…Daryl Williams…6-5” 330lbs…

Outside of Whitehair we are pretty young and inexperienced upfront…nowhere more so than at OT with just two 2nd year guys who missed time last year and a rookie…Williams can come in and offer depth at 3 of the 5 OL position with his RT & Guard experience…I would expect a 1-year deal that would allow us to assess him and the rest of the guys we have upfront.

1199073464.jpeg

LB…Anthony Hitchens…6-0” 235lbs…

Hitchens has already been in for a visit and has a history with Flus going back to their Dallas days…Hitchens has experience playing multiple spots at LB and would be a SLB in this scheme who could step into either of the other spots should an injury happen…again I would expect just a 1-year deal.

54d3e566cc7f4997b316c109133da58e.jpg?w=1

CB…Xavier Rhodes…6-1” 210lbs…

Another guy who Flus knows well and who has played well in this scheme in recent history…Rhodes is a quality fit for this scheme and would add a ton of experience to what would be a very young group of CBs…a 1-year deal for Rhodes would buy these young guys time to develop.

Depth Chart…

QB…Justin Fields…Trevor Siemian  

RB…David Montgomery…Khalil Herbert…Darrynton Evans…Khari Blasingame (FB)

WR…Alec Pierce…Equanimeous St. Brown

WR…Darnell Mooney…Devon Williams

WR…Byron Pringle…Jaquarii Roberson

TE…Cole Kmet…Ryan Griffin…Jasper Horsted

LT…Teven Jenkins…Vederian Lowe

LG…Cole Strange

C…Lucas Patrick…Sam Mustipher

RG…Cody Whitehair…Daryl Williams

RT…Larry Borom…Lachavious Simmons

LE…Trevis Gipson…Al-Quadin Muhammad

UT…Perrion Winfrey…Justin Jones…Mario Edwards  

NT…Angelo Blackson…Khyiris Tonga                   

RE…Robert Quinn…Adam Anderson

SLB…Anthony Hitchens…James Houston

MLB…Roquan Smith…Caleb Johnson

WLB…Nicholas Morrow…Matthew Adams

NB…Tavon Young…Sam Womack

CB…Xavier Rhodes…Alontae Taylor…Sam Webb

CB…Jaylon Jackson…Thomas Graham Jr

SS…Josh Jobe…Dane Cruikshank

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson  

P…Blake Hayes

K…Cario Santos

LS…Patrick Scales

• Like 4

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Would be happy with this… but we would need a real swing OT.

Lachavious Simmons is really bad and Love stepping in at LT as a rookie would likely go pretty poorly.

Williams would act as the 6th OL right across the board...if Patrick went down then Whitehair would move to centre and Williams to RG...Williams would play either guard spot if there were an injury there and if Jenkins went down Borom would slide to LT and Williams into RT...Williams' experience at different spots buys us a year to then add more depth and develop guys so next season we feel more comfortable with the likes of Lowe stepping in at an OT spot...that said he is about as battle tested as any rookie can be with 52 career starts...

Simmons is a flyer who I hope in a zone scheme can be better...if not he is easily replaced as the season goes on and needs change meaning we wouldn't carry 9 OL.

Focusing only on rounds two and three I would prefer Poles get his DL and OL in round two and his WR in round three where the value seems more appropriate.  IF we can trade back to add either a low 3rd or a 4th so much the better but I would not risk losing a key player at a position of need to do it.  We need 3 starters or day one contributors from this draft.

Since we need more depth at the 3 tech DT spot Winfrey, who to me is somewhat like a Tommie Harris type DT is one choice and another whose more of a DeForest Bucker type is Logan Hall.  Winfrey may have the better measurables but Hall may be a more versatile NFL ready player day one.  I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other ends up being Poles first pick.

The other possibility depending on Poles level of interest is Tyler Smith.  He's still very raw but he's only 21 years of age and has the kind of disposition and toughness Poles seems to want in his OL.  If we either miss or pass on Smith Cole Strange is another IOL who would seem to be a good fit at RG but lacks OT versatility.  Both Smith and Strange carry similar rankings.

At WR I guess I like Pierce more than Watson but the kid I really like is Khalil Shakir from BSU.  While Pierce looks to me much like an ARob type possession guy with similar measurables what stands out about Shakir is his tool chest of skills and his character and drive. I think this kid is gonna be a very productive pro and team player albeit never an All Pro type.  Scouts compare him to a guy like Antwann Randle El and he could be a slot type star in Getsy's short passing offense.  The kid is simply a good football player.

54 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

IMO pick 39 should be the best offensive player on board either OL or WR.  I agree trade back from 48 try to get an extra pick or two.  Otherwise good mock

I'm just not willing to pigeonhole us into an offensive player...for me we aren't talented enough as a team to pass up the best player on the board and IMO that would Winfrey.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, soulman said:

Focusing only on rounds two and three I would prefer Poles get his DL and OL in round two and his WR in round three where the value seems more appropriate.  IF we can trade back to add either a low 3rd or a 4th so much the better but I would not risk losing a key player at a position of need to do it.  We need 3 starters or day one contributors from this draft.

Since we need more depth at the 3 tech DT spot Winfrey, who to me is somewhat like a Tommie Harris type DT is one choice and another whose more of a DeForest Bucker type is Logan Hall.  Winfrey may have the better measurables but Hall may be a more versatile NFL ready player day one.  I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other ends up being Poles first pick.

The other possibility depending on Poles level of interest is Tyler Smith.  He's still very raw but he's only 21 years of age and has the kind of disposition and toughness Poles seems to want in his OL.  If we either miss or pass on Smith Cole Strange is another IOL who would seem to be a good fit at RG but lacks OT versatility.  Both Smith and Strange carry similar rankings.

At WR I guess I like Pierce more than Watson but the kid I really like is Khalil Shakir from BSU.  While Pierce looks to me much like an ARob type possession guy with similar measurables what stands out about Shakir is his tool chest of skills and his character and drive. I think this kid is gonna be a very productive pro and team player albeit never an All Pro type.  Scouts compare him to a guy like Antwann Randle El and he could be a slot type star in Getsy's short passing offense.  The kid is simply a good football player.

I would prefer to secure the OL first as well but there has to be a balance between talent and what will be available at the time...I expect more recievers to be gone before interior OL meaning we should secure that first...

In terms of Hall vs. Winfrey I am not too concerned about versatility...I just want the most explosive pass rusher and that is Winfrey.

27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would prefer to secure the OL first as well but there has to be a balance between talent and what will be available at the time...I expect more recievers to be gone before interior OL meaning we should secure that first...

In terms of Hall vs. Winfrey I am not too concerned about versatility...I just want the most explosive pass rusher and that is Winfrey.

Check our Hall a bit more.  Another guy he reminds me of a bit is Dan Hampton.  Hall may actually prove to be even quicker off the snap and more explosive than Winfrey.  There had to be a reason the Bears sent staff down to watch him work out and meet with him plus I believe we need at least two if not three prospects any of which we might be happy with.  If Poles believes they need more of an Akiem Hicks type guy Travis Jones is also a possibility but more as the NT and pocket pusher/collapser as Hicks was.

If Poles goes OL first in order to have a shot at Smith there are also Zion Johnson and Cole Strange who have similar rankings.  IMHO having a number of possibilities for both 2nd round picks and the 3rd will be a key to having a successful draft that produces the 3 immediate contributors Eberflus hopes to get.  If Poles can line up multiple prospects for each pick he won't fall into Pace's trap of wanting to trade up for a guy he's fallen in love with and this year I'd prefer guys with high floors over higher ceilings/lower floors.

Edited by soulman

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Williams would act as the 6th OL right across the board...if Patrick went down then Whitehair would move to centre and Williams to RG...Williams would play either guard spot if there were an injury there and if Jenkins went down Borom would slide to LT and Williams into RT...Williams' experience at different spots buys us a year to then add more depth and develop guys so next season we feel more comfortable with the likes of Lowe stepping in at an OT spot...that said he is about as battle tested as any rookie can be with 52 career starts...

Simmons is a flyer who I hope in a zone scheme can be better...if not he is easily replaced as the season goes on and needs change meaning we wouldn't carry 9 OL.

I don’t like one injury forcing multiple OLmen to shift spots. We should have a true swing OT who can backup and play both spots. Our OTs are unproven and we don’t need the entire line to move because one of them is hurt or struggling.

• Like 1

I know I may be alone on this but Pierce moves more like an undersized TE than a WR from what I've seen (albeit that hasn't been alot).  I also question his hands. I see people talking about his catching technique but he catches the ball with his body a little too often for my liking. Even in spots when he shouldn't. But that's just a small critique and is something that's teachable.

Plus, he's a Packers fan...... so there's that too.

Nice work Madmike.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t like one injury forcing multiple OLmen to shift spots. We should have a true swing OT who can backup and play both spots. Our OTs are unproven and we don’t need the entire line to move because one of them is hurt or struggling.

Welcome to today's NFL...mist injuries force teams to shift in order to get the best 5 on the field...that would be nothing new...as much as I would love to have a quality backup for every spot.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Check our Hall a bit more.  Another guy he reminds me of a bit is Dan Hampton.  Hall may actually prove to be even quicker off the snap and more explosive than Winfrey.  There had to be a reason the Bears sent staff down to watch him work out and meet with him plus I believe we need at least two if not three prospects any of which we might be happy with.  If Poles believes they need more of an Akiem Hicks type guy Travis Jones is also a possibility but more as the NT and pocket pusher/collapser as Hicks was.

If Poles goes OL first in order to have a shot at Smith there are also Zion Johnson and Cole Strange who have similar rankings.  IMHO having a number of possibilities for both 2nd round picks and the 3rd will be a key to having a successful draft that produces the 3 immediate contributors Eberflus hopes to get.  If Poles can line up multiple prospects for each pick he won't fall into Pace's trap of wanting to trade up for a guy he's fallen in love with and this year I'd prefer guys with high floors over higher ceilings/lower floors.

The Bears sently most DB staff down to Houston more than likely to interview Marcus Jones who could be an excellent NB & returner at the next level...I have watched both Hall & Winfrey and for a pure 3 tech would take Winfrey everything...Hall is a 5 tech IMO...

I wouldn't put Zion & Cole in the same level at all...Zion should go in the 1st...Cole is a late 2nd early 3rd IMO.

55 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I know I may be alone on this but Pierce moves more like an undersized TE than a WR from what I've seen (albeit that hasn't been alot).  I also question his hands. I see people talking about his catching technique but he catches the ball with his body a little too often for my liking. Even in spots when he shouldn't. But that's just a small critique and is something that's teachable.

Plus, he's a Packers fan...... so there's that too.

Nice work Madmike.

Thanks man...

I don't think Pierce is perfect but the fact he plays like a small TE might be exactly what we need...I also like Tolbert in that range...maybe even Bell if we can get down a little more.

• Like 1