The Flash

O'Doyle Rules

Anyone watching the new season? Just finished episode two and I can't stand iris. Worst character on the show. She's literally upset with Barry for leaving couples therapy to save her father from a grenade, or that he left her to go into that time warp thing to save a whole city. Just kill her off already.

I watched the first episode of the season, but need to catch up.

Ive hated Iris since season 2.   Dont like the actress and dont like the writing for her characters.    Its a worse version of Katie Cassidy/Laurel.

Ive enjoyed most of the superhero CW shows (except Supergirl) to some degree, but the one issue all the shows have had is the female love interests of the main characters.    The writers keep bouncing them between fragile, completely helpless and emotionally weak little girls and strong empowered women standing by the men they love.   They dont know which one they want to do, so they bounce back and forth and it makes the characters unbearable at times.   Happened with Lana Lang on Smallville, Laurel and Felicity on Arrow and Iris on Flash.    Only one that was done well IMO was Lois Lane on Smallville...they made her strong and independent it didnt deviate much from that.

Iris is just a self entitled princess who thinks the world revolves around her and whines when she doesnt get exactly what she wants.

Unfortunately, she is Barry's one and only.    She will never be killed off, no matter how intolerable she becomes.   

I'm not all caught up on this season yet, only watched a couple of episodes. I'm sort of meh on it. I liked the idea of the mini villains from the bus, before the overall big bad (who I'm thankful is not another speedster), but I don't like that they've basically used them as villains of the week. I would have rather seen each have a slightly slower burn and be more of a threat. Also, am I the only one who misses Draco Malfoy? I feel like he was a better inclusion in the team than elongated man or whoever that is. 

Also, maybe it's just me. Maybe it would have been a horrible idea. But I feel like I would have rather have had a much larger time jump between the seasons with Barry stuck in the speed force. 3, 4, 5 years. Whatever. But a few months just leaves it...I don't know, kind of pointless. There's nothing different, it really doesn't affect anything moving forward. I mean, Iris is upset because "he left her" (to save the freaking city, but yeah, whatever iris, make it about you), but that's kind of it (at least so far from what I have seen)

12 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

She comes of like she's the leader of the group now, bossing people around when she contributes nothing.

That's part of what I was saying earlier.   They juggle her between damsel in distress and strong, independent woman, and it doesnt work.   Thats the problem with the CW and these comic book shows....they dont know whether they want to cater more to comic fans (which is what they should be doing) or the typical CW viewer (girls/women 16-40 or so), which is why we get all of these stupid love stories.    Now, dont get me wrong, I dont mind a love story if it fits in the story nicely, but when its distracting and disrupts the narrative of the show, yes, I have a huge problem with it.    Its honestly following the exactly same path as Arrow...

Season 1:  Great way to start the series

Season 2:  Strong season, arguably better than season 1

Season 3:  Not as strong as the first season, but not god awful.   Love story with annoying main love interest (Felicty/Iris) starting to get in the way of storytelling

Season 4:  Mostly bad, insufferable main love interest and story surrounding them, terrible villains of the week, not enough focus on strong points of show

Season 5 (Only Arrow at this point):   Bounce back season that was the best since season 2.

So, at this point, its on the same path as Arrow up to early season 4....but maybe there is hope for season 5.    I think this happened with Smallville as well.  Not sure what seasons it was (havent watched it in awhile), but it had several ups and downs through its run.

The guy who plays Wally cant act either....even for a CW show, and thats pretty bad.    I didnt mind him when he first showed up, but now I cringe every time he has more than a few words of dialogue.

At least they hit a homerun with Jesse L Martin, but his on show offspring are insufferable.  

8 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I gave up on arrow and looks like flash is going the same way. This season is bad. The episode where the girls team up was the worst of the series imo, just awful.

Arrow got better IMO.   If you gave up on it after season 4, I recommend checking out season 5.   Havent watched any eps from this season yet, though.

51 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Arrow got better IMO.   If you gave up on it after season 4, I recommend checking out season 5.   Havent watched any eps from this season yet, though.

I gave up after after season 3, laurel is just cringe worthy and felicity got annoying. Tried watching season 4 but stopped after two episodes. The way laurel became black canary, and seeing her try to fight just ruined the show for me.

9 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I gave up after after season 3, laurel is just cringe worthy and felicity got annoying. Tried watching season 4 but stopped after two episodes. The way laurel became black canary, and seeing her try to fight just ruined the show for me.

She is still on the show, but isnt Black Canary.  The new Black Canary is much better.

Its up to you, but Id recommend giving season 5 a chance, and if you dont like that, then walk away for good.    The second half of season 3 was very meh and everyone agrees season 4 was a dumpster fire.    Alot of people felt season 5 was easily the best since season 2.

32 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

She is still on the show, but isnt Black Canary.  The new Black Canary is much better.

Its up to you, but Id recommend giving season 5 a chance, and if you dont like that, then walk away for good.    The second half of season 3 was very meh and everyone agrees season 4 was a dumpster fire.    Alot of people felt season 5 was easily the best since season 2.

Might just skip season 4 all together, and just watch 5.

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

Might just skip season 4 all together, and just watch 5.

Yeah....there might be a few things you miss in terms of what carries over, but nothing that will completely lose you.    Season 5 is definitely the best since 2, although there is still the occasional meh filler episode.   Overall, its enjoyable though IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived