Stand on the Table!

ovfd55

Easy enough question, who would you stand on the table for and why when it comes to the draft prospects in the draft.

11th Pick Players
S Kyle Hamilton-I personally think he has the best tape in the Draft,the 40 doesn't scare me at all where we would play him at Box Safety and Buffalo Nickel.A Turn the momentum ball hawk we've been missing on Defense for a while now.

MLB NaKobe Dean-Think its the biggest plug and play upgrade in the draft for us going from Bostic or Mayo to Dean is a huge upgrade at Lber.Dean is super smart in film as multiple times you see him call out the motion before the motion is even ran.I have a soft spot for Smart small Linebackers since London Fletcher who Dean reminds me of.Also a pure leader that it feels like this team is desperate for. DO think you could trade back some and still get him though.

Late 1st if we trade back
WR Christian Watson-Might be the highest upside WR in for me though his floor can be scary. Right away he would be a legit deep threat to any defense at 6'5 with his speed. Think he'd fit great into Turners offense as he's shown ability in reverse and return game as a runner and screen game,while also excelling at taking the top off the defense. His route tree needs work but I saw natural talent with footwork and awarness at times on film that think he good really grow into a elite WR on the right team.

2nd Round
Edge Drake Jackson-I'm guessing injury concerns pushed him down the board but the Size and Athleticism he shows along with multiple moves coming off the Edge looks more like a 1st round prospect the some of the edges I've watched who are going to go in the 1st.Not a need for us at the moment but with contracts coming up for Sweat and Young not a bad idea to grab depth as a BPA at this point.

QB Sam Howell-I don't want to draft a QB this year as I feel like that just sabotages Wentz who you just gave multiple picks for.With that being said Howell is my QB1 this year(Willis has high upside) and really like Howell 20 tape when he a full compliment of weapons.

3rd Round if we get one somehow
TE Greg Dulcich -Love the way he finds holes in the defense and exploits them as TE, might end up going in 2nd.

CB Marcus Jones-Plays hard all the time quick with good reaction has the making of a great Slot CB which we could use between WJ3 and Fuller.Also added value of a returner since we lost ours.

4th round
LB JoJo Dooman -Sees and reacts no heisitation in his game but is undersized and play Holcomb spot on the field but could add value as 3rd down LBer to this team.

Oline Zach Tom-Played great at LT at Wake last year but projects to me more inside in the NFL.Super athlete with geat mirroring Footwork in the passing game.

5th Round
S Markquese Bell-Hard hitter the plays with Anger that could play Landon Collins in the defense though He'd have to tone down the taunting a little in the NFL.

WR Josh Johnson-Think he'll make a great slot in the NFL as he has ability to read a defense and find the hole in zones.Played better vs better opponents 8 for 149 and a TD vs Ohio State.

6th
WR Tyquan Thortan-When you see someone who almost broke the 40 record you expect to see nothing but deep passes on highlights. So was happy to see that you get a good mixture of Routes from Thortan but would need to improve them but speed and Hands in traffic provide some upside.

7th
HB Max Borghi-Discount Christian McCaffery,Good hands and routes combined with Quick feet means he can contribute in the passing game early on.

OG/FB Jason Poe-This is just me falling in love with a guy who crushes people when he Pull blocks.

S Dane Belton-Young Box Safety who had 5 INTs for Iowa last year as JR and runs 4.43 who provides good upsides and special teams day 1

• Like 2

There's no player I "stand on the table" for...

But I do "stand on the table" for trading down in this draft.

I really like Hamilton, Stingley, Carson Strong & T. Burks.

But if my pick is up & you offer me DBL Cheeseburger, Lrg fries & a coke for my spot?

I'm jumping on it!

Why?

Because there are Safety's better than Hamilton, Corners better than Stingley, QB's better than Strong & Wide Receivers better than Burks.

That's why...

And they will probably be guys chosen, that will be picked AFTER the guys I have listed above.

I stand on the table for Kyle Hamilton as well & Chris Olave. We couldn’t go wrong with either pick. I too stand on the table for Kenny Pickett, Matt Corrall & Sam Howell. I think they’ll be the best 3 QBs of this draft and eventually starters. 

QB Malik Willis will be a Franchise QB for the team that drafts him. Ultra talented kid. Easiest comparison is a less athletic/more accurate Lamar Jackson. WRs will love playing with him and whoever drafts him will be getting a blue chip player.

Safety Kyle Hamilton - Two Words: Ball Hawk. This kid can play and will be a cornerstone for any defense. Playing at a major college, he played some top tier talent and he should transition nicely to the NFL. He has to prove that injuries aren't going to be a repetitive narrative for him though. 

CB Sauce Gardner - The next lock down CB. Get him into a system, get him coached up and he could be a top 10 CB pretty quickly. Really fluid, great length and range. 

(Unless we draft them, we ruin everyone ;) )

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'll stand on the box and demand we not draft Kyle Hamilton.  The guy is a tweener with no position in the NFL.  Too slow to be a Safety too small to be a linebacker.  

Too slow to be a Safety ran faster the Ed Reed and .06 slower then Sean Taylor,Watched him start at left hash and intercept a pass on the right Sideline.As a person who mainly watches ACC football He's been seen as Notre Dame best defensive players for 3 years.

PS Also ran faster then are current starting saftey Kam Curl

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Too slow to be a Safety ran faster the Ed Reed and .06 slower then Sean Taylor,Watched him start at left hash and intercept a pass on the right Sideline.As a person who mainly watches ACC football He's been seen as Notre Dame best defensive players for 3 years.

PS Also ran faster then are current starting saftey Kam Curl

1. Its not great when your examples are from 20 years ago.  The players in the league are faster and bigger than ever.  The reason he is falling down draft boards is because his 40 time was surprisingly slow. 

2. His best position is either as an in the box safety or an outside linebacker. We have two young players in Jamin Davis and Kam Curl who already play those positions. 

3. Drafting an in the box safety or outside linebacker at 11 is not good value. 

4. We have a lot bigger needs than another in the box safety or outside linebacker. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

1. Its not great when your examples are from 20 years ago.  The players in the league are faster and bigger than ever.  The reason he is falling down draft boards is because his 40 time was surprisingly slow. 

I’m with you on this, to some degree at least, in the sense that I don’t accept the thought process that became gospel over the last year-plus that Kyle Hamilton was the unicorn, surefire top prospect, safety version of Kyle Pitts. Never saw that on film, didn’t see it in any of the athletic tests either. 

But he’s still a really good player, and the top of this draft blows. You have to consider him at 11. The 40 time is not great, it’s certainly not unicorn status, but it’s certainly also more than playable for a deep half, two-high type safety. In terms of more recent comps, Harrison Smith ran 4.54; Marcus Williams ran 4.56 (and is a legit Ed Reed deep centerfielder type guy); Justin Simmons ran 4.61. Each one of those guys is inarguably a top 15, likely higher, safety in the league. 

For me, my take on Hamilton is somewhere in the middle. He shouldn’t be a top 5 pick, even in this garbage top 10, and it would be silly to take him there. He’s not Pitts or Quenton Nelson or Devin White, in that every single box is checked with “superstar” written all over him and you can afford to pass on all the premium position guys for a bottom-rung position. The athletic profile is just ho-hum — and maybe that’s partly coming back from the injury (I mean, at least he tried, unlike London or Dean for example) — but you’re just not taking a safety whose athletic profile reads “T.J. McDonald” or “Daren Stone” or even “taller, less athletic Eric Reid” in the top few picks of a draft. 

With that said, he’s really an extremely good football player. I have little doubt that he will become a top 10-15 type safety, and in the event that the workout numbers are depressed due to his still recovering from the knee injury, he could end up well within the top 5. Having a Hamilton/Curl duo would give you so much flexibility in the back half, with both of them being so smart and versatile that you could deploy them pretty much however you liked. But we would just have to change our perspective a little bit to see it as a “safe” pick rather than the grand slam “steal of the draft” it would be received as by the draftnik community. 

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

2. His best position is either as an in the box safety or an outside linebacker. We have two young players in Jamin Davis and Kam Curl who already play those positions. 

3. Drafting an in the box safety or outside linebacker at 11 is not good value. 

4. We have a lot bigger needs than another in the box safety or outside linebacker. 

1.Ok we go by today Safeties ran Faster then Justin Simmions one of the better safeties in the league and someone he compares to as a ball hawk,and the list of others who ran in the 4.5s like he did at combine include many of the other top Safeties Harrison Smith,Jessie Bates,Micah Hyde,Tyran Methieu,Jamal Adams.We can always throw Apke back there if speed is so important to a Safety.

If you going bigest day 1 Upgrade you have to want Nakobe Dean or Devin Llyod and both provide that over Mayo then Any other spot.

I'm sure I'm somewhat Biased on the offense cause I think a guy like Dyami Brown will look 100x better this year with a QB that can throw the ball over 20 yards,which is where Brown was skilled enough to be a day 2 pick last year at doing.Curtis Samuel and Logan Thomas getting healthy should be big boost and the WR is deep enough you can get more help in 2nd or 4th.

I just don't understand how Hamiltion goes from a generational Talent at end of season top 3 on every big draft expert #1 on some to you pass on him at 11 cause he runs what most NFL Safeties run.

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m with you on this, to some degree at least, in the sense that I don’t accept the thought process that became gospel over the last year-plus that Kyle Hamilton was the unicorn, surefire top prospect, safety version of Kyle Pitts. Never saw that on film, didn’t see it in any of the athletic tests either. 

But he’s still a really good player, and the top of this draft blows. You have to consider him at 11. The 40 time is not great, it’s certainly not unicorn status, but it’s certainly also more than playable for a deep half, two-high type safety. In terms of more recent comps, Harrison Smith ran 4.54; Marcus Williams ran 4.56 (and is a legit Ed Reed deep centerfielder type guy); Justin Simmons ran 4.61. Each one of those guys is inarguably a top 15, likely higher, safety in the league. 

For me, my take on Hamilton is somewhere in the middle. He shouldn’t be a top 5 pick, even in this garbage top 10, and it would be silly to take him there. He’s not Pitts or Quenton Nelson or Devin White, in that every single box is checked with “superstar” written all over him and you can afford to pass on all the premium position guys for a bottom-rung position. The athletic profile is just ho-hum — and maybe that’s partly coming back from the injury (I mean, at least he tried, unlike London or Dean for example) — but you’re just not taking a safety whose athletic profile reads “T.J. McDonald” or “Daren Stone” or even “taller, less athletic Eric Reid” in the top few picks of a draft. 

With that said, he’s really an extremely good football player. I have little doubt that he will become a top 10-15 type safety, and in the event that the workout numbers are depressed due to his still recovering from the knee injury, he could end up well within the top 5. Having a Hamilton/Curl duo would give you so much flexibility in the back half, with both of them being so smart and versatile that you could deploy them pretty much however you liked. But we would just have to change our perspective a little bit to see it as a “safe” pick rather than the grand slam “steal of the draft” it would be received as by the draftnik community. 

I don't think he's a "safe" pick at all.  Lately in drafts there always seems to be guys touted for being so "versatile" that they are considered to be very valuable. The latest one I can think of was Isaiah Simmons. All we hear is how these players can play a bunch of positions so they must be really good.  Except it rarely seems to work out that way. When you're talking depth, having a guy that can cover for you in a pinch in several different spots is valuable. But when you're talking starters, just give me the guy who's really freaking good at his position. 

Then there's his height.  6'4" is really tall for a defensive back. He's so tall that it makes you question whether his turn of direction and recovery speed will be sufficient at the NFL level. One of the reasons people were drooling over him before the combine was because he was supposed to test through the roof, but he didn't. When you're drafting someone in the first round you're looking not just for a starter, but hopefully one that makes it to a second contract and eventual 10 year timeframe on your roster. If he loses even just a step during that period combined with that height he could be a real liability in coverage. 

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

One of the reasons people were drooling over him before the combine was because he was supposed to test through the roof, but he didn't. When you're drafting someone in the first round you're looking not just for a starter, but hopefully one that makes it to a second contract and eventual 10 year timeframe on your roster.

I am no draft expect, nor will I ever claim to be one. However, this is the stance I object to. I don't care how the player "tests" at a combine. I care about how the player plays. This kid is a stud on the field, during the time when it counts. 

We have had too many looks like Tarzan plays like Jane types here. (LaRon Landry for those that remember tested extremely well and blew worse in coverage than Landon Collins)

I think if we have the chance to pair Curl and Hamilton at Safety you have to take it. I just think he will be a very good player for a long time.