Stand on the Table!

ovfd55

32 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I just don't understand how Hamiltion goes from a generational Talent at end of season top 3 on every big draft expert #1 on some to you pass on him at 11 cause he runs what most NFL Safeties run.

15 safeties ran the 40 at the combine.  Kyle Hamilton's time was 14th out of those players.  

In terms of the thread topic, in terms of talent, the only guy I would probably stand on the table for as a top 10 type guy is Sauce Gardner. And I likely wouldn’t even do that for this team, given that we’ve already got two highly paid CBs (and a promising young guy in St. Juste) who look pretty locked in as just outside guys.

But Sauce is awesome, and I think he ends up as a legit star. In a weird way, he reminds me of a great OT — he starts with an advantage because so he’s really tall and he has such a wide wingspan, which means it’s already tough to get around him when you’re starting from a stationary position. But he uses that wide airspace advantage especially well. He’s not quite like these other really long CBs like Richard Sherman, who have to use their length to jam you and disrupt you because they aren’t fast enough to keep up if you get off clean. With Sauce, because he knows he has the makeup speed to effectively track and trail any in-breaking routes, he frequently employs a technique where he opens up his hips very early, taking away the out-breaking stuff and allowing him to run with the receiver over the top. Because he’s already opened up, his transitions (hip flips, essentially) don’t have to happen while the receiver is at full speed, which is when lots of CBs lose ground and get stacked. I think he’s got every tool you’re looking for in a lockdown CB, and I think he’s a no-brainer top 5-10 pick in any draft. Especially this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

In terms of the thread topic, in terms of talent, the only guy I would probably stand on the table for as a top 10 type guy is Sauce Gardner. And I likely wouldn’t even do that for this team, given that we’ve already got two highly paid CBs (and a promising young guy in St. Juste) who look pretty locked in as just outside guys.

But Sauce is awesome, and I think he ends up as a legit star. In a weird way, he reminds me of a great OT — he starts with an advantage because so he’s really tall and he has such a wide wingspan, which means it’s already tough to get around him when you’re starting from a stationary position. But he uses that wide airspace advantage especially well. He’s not quite like these other really long CBs like Richard Sherman, who have to use their length to jam you and disrupt you because they aren’t fast enough to keep up if you get off clean. With Sauce, because he knows he has the makeup speed to effectively track and trail any in-breaking routes, he frequently employs a technique where he opens up his hips very early, taking away the out-breaking stuff and allowing him to run with the receiver over the top. Because he’s already opened up, his transitions (hip flips, essentially) don’t have to happen while the receiver is at full speed, which is when lots of CBs lose ground and get stacked. I think he’s got every tool you’re looking for in a lockdown CB, and I think he’s a no-brainer top 5-10 pick in any draft. Especially this one.

I think he's going #3 overall which is shockingly high for a CB. 

All you guys stand on the table for different players.

That tells me that this draft has many good players.

But none that are automatic HOF talent blue chip can't miss studs.

So how do you guarantee yourself to land one of these guys & not walk away with the bust of the draft?

Give yourself a bunch of opportunities to draft players.

And how do you do that?

By Trading down.

We have 6 picks in the draft & zero in the 3rd & 5th round.

Unless Walter Payton, Randy Moss, Sean Taylor, John Elway, Deion Sanders, Brian Urlacher, Anthony Munoz or Reggie White are sitting there @#11…?

The smart thing to do is trade down from #11 & accumulate more draft selections. 

More opportunities to land a McLaurin in the 3rd or a Chris Cooley.

More opportunities to land a Cam Curl in the 6th or 7th Rd.

More opportunities to land an Alfred Morris in the 5th or 6th Rd.

1 or 2 trade downs this draft could more than dbl our draft selections from 6 to 12.

That would be the smart thing to do.

Not drafting Stingley @11 & hope he's the same player he was before the Senior Bowl career ending injury.

or Drafting Hamilton @11 & find out Sweat beats him in wind sprints.

Be smart!

Trade Down!

23 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I think ace wants us to trade down in the draft. Just a hunch. 

Down? I thought he wanted us to trade up for Kyle Hamilton so him and Montez Sweat could do wind sprints.

I need to get my reading glasses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I think ace wants us to trade down in the draft. Just a hunch. 

Absolutely!

I don't know how many of you are wanting to do that. 

But I'm 100% advocating trading down. 

I know it takes two teams to tango & I definitely want reasonable compensation in doing so.

But I think it's a no-brainer move, imo.

There's 5 WR's projected to go in the 1st & nobody knows who's the best.

There's 3 or 4 Corners projected to go in the 1st & nobody knows who's best.

There's 5 QB's that could go in the 1st or 2nd Rd & nobody knows who's best.

My point is ...There's no player we could get @11, that we can't land @15, or 20 or 30, imo.

Now I want to stay in the 1st Rd, but adding more draft picks is crucial for us, imo.

why?

1) We could literally recoup all the picks in the Carson Wentz trade. (Meaning....he could wind up costing us nothing in the trade)

2)The meat & potatoes of talent in this draft is in the 2nd & 3rd round, imo. (We have 1 selection there)

3)We have holes @#2 WR, ILB, Safety, D-line depth, O-line Depth.

We're not going to fill those if we remain at #11, 2nd Rd, 4th Rd, 6th Rd & 2-7's.

Trading down would not only allow us to fill all those voids?

But add more talent & youth at the TE position, RB position & Corner positions & most of all.... A possible 3rd QB with high potential such as a Carson Strong or so.

You can do that with 10-12 picks.

Not with 6.

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Absolutely!

I don't know how many of you are wanting to do that. 

I'm very open to the idea, but it depends how far down we go. I think your mock draft scenario is too far. 

There's 5 WR's projected to go in the 1st & nobody knows who's the best.

That's fair. 

There's 3 or 4 Corners projected to go in the 1st & nobody knows who's best.

There's definitely two at the top. One at the way top. 

There's 5 QB's that could go in the 1st or 2nd Rd & nobody knows who's best.

That's fair. 

My point is ...There's no player we could get @11, that we can't land @15, or 20 or 30, imo.

I think there's plenty of guys that you risk if not getting them at 11 you won't have at 15 because they'll go in those 4 picks - Stingley, the WRs, Johnson, etc. 

1) We could literally recoup all the picks in the Carson Wentz trade. (Meaning....he could wind up costing us nothing in the trade)

I do enjoy the theory behind this myself depending how it unfolds. 

2)The meat & potatoes of talent in this draft is in the 2nd & 3rd round, imo. (We have 1 selection there)

Honestly? Going through the mock now with people on FF, I actually don't agree with this much. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Honestly? Going through the mock now with people on FF, I actually don't agree with this much. 

In doing 3 7 rounds mocks in the gm mock draft part of forum in last month,Feel like there is a lot of upside  later in draft but each guy has clea faults so its important for them to go to right team/scheme.So Don't feel like theres a lot of you know you getting a stud late day 2 early day 3 but some spots to hit.

Now I'd prefer if we traded back we got a pick next year as I think that gives you a better safety net if Wentz fails again.I don't feel like the 2nd round talent fits the needs of us enough.Feel most of 2nd round talent is Dline Oline or HB with a couple DBs thrown in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Congrats on the zing, pretty irrelevant to the conversation though. 

It's relevant though.... Hamilton can play football. IDC what his 40 is, his instincts and reaction time is ELITE. That truped 4/10ths of a second all day long in pads.

• Like 1