Mini Camp News [Apr 20-22]

WindyCity

10 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

😂 He had a clear lane to the end zone!

I just do not see the reason to give quality reps to a guy who probably shouldn't make the team. What could it possibly have cost to get a serious OG in here, even one likely to be replaced by a draft pick?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not see the reason to give quality reps to a guy who probably shouldn't make the team. What could it possibly have cost to get a serious OG in here, even one likely to be replaced by a draft pick?

I agree. I wish they would've went after a better option too.  I mean, we're talking about a pretty low bar here.

That said, I don't think he's so bad that you cut him outright either. even tho he was terrible last year, he did show flashes of being a decent backup in 2020. I think his ceiling is pretty low and he'll never be starter material but also solid. Not someone you should count on start due to inconsistencies and often a high center of gravity but someone who could fill in for a game or two if needed---that to me is backup quality.  Remember, OL depth is down across the board and that's not just the Bears either. I'm fine with giving him one more chance to make it as a depth player only. If it doesn't happen this year tho then it's time to move on.

I'm also not as concerned about the G position as you seem to be either. Good play from the C and T positions can hide alot of mistakes made from the IOL positions. To an extent ofcourse.  Not saying we're going to see good play from the T positions or not since that hinges on Borom and Jenkins development. But I'm willing to give the staff/players a chance to see what we have.

Besides...we have bigger issues to worry about than the guard position. If the Bears ever put themselves into position where a guard is the biggest concern then I think we would all be happy about that.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

To make the guys camp bodies/placeholders, that you refer to as camp bodies, you would have to add 3-4 serious OLmen to the roster.

That is a decent influx of new guys you expect to make the roster.

Well you’re drafting one for sure and maybe more, and seemingly everyone but you thinks and expects they’ll sign at least one viable depth caliber guy post draft too once they know what they’ve been able to get in the draft. 

If Sam Mustipher or Dakota Dozier is your 9th OL it’s really not the end of the world scenario you seem to think it is. That’s a break in case of emergency roster spot on the OL for every team in the league, and there probably isn’t a fan base out there who’s pleased with the caliber of player they have as their 9th OL. Having a good player there is an extreme luxury. We all know the only way Mustipher is playing meaningful snaps this year is if **** has already hit the fan a few times over (not super likely) or if he makes a massive jump (probably even less likely). What’s the point in stressing out about it so much?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

With the underrated St. Brown and the great Pringle, I can't see how it would be a common theme.

FWIW according to this the 3 WR with the most drops in the league last year were Keenan Allen, Ja’Marr Chase and DJ Moore, and Deebo Samuel had the 2nd most drops in the NFC. From that group only Moore wasn’t a Pro Bowler, and he had a 93/1157/4 stat line playing with Sam Darnold, Cam Newton and PJ Walker.  

Every WR drops passes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW according to this the 3 WR with the most drops in the league last year were Keenan Allen, Ja’Marr Chase and DJ Moore, and Deebo Samuel had the 2nd most drops in the NFC. From that group only Moore wasn’t a Pro Bowler, and he had a 93/1157/4 stat line playing with Sam Darnold, Cam Newton and PJ Walker.  

Every WR drops passes. 

Absolutely. Heck for a long time even prime Julio was often a top leader in dropped passes.

That said, per FO's Receiving Efficiency... Pringle was 17th in drops per target last year among all 108 WRs with atleast 40 targets.

1fSdDZp.png

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:
Key #Bears practice observation: After a dropped pass,

I hope this isn't a common theme this year.

Ifn it makes ya feel better, there was exactly one ball on the ground yesterday according to the huge and jahns podcast

It's also ok to feel like **** about our offense at this point in the season. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Well you’re drafting one for sure and maybe more, and seemingly everyone but you thinks and expects they’ll sign at least one viable depth caliber guy post draft too once they know what they’ve been able to get in the draft. 

If Sam Mustipher or Dakota Dozier is your 9th OL it’s really not the end of the world scenario you seem to think it is. That’s a break in case of emergency roster spot on the OL for every team in the league, and there probably isn’t a fan base out there who’s pleased with the caliber of player they have as their 9th OL. Having a good player there is an extreme luxury. We all know the only way Mustipher is playing meaningful snaps this year is if **** has already hit the fan a few times over (not super likely) or if he makes a massive jump (probably even less likely). What’s the point in stressing out about it so much?

I they are 8-9 I don’t have an issue. I need 7 real OLmen on the team.

A legit starting caliber player at RG and then 2 backups who don’t totally suck.

Flus couldn't be more right on this...when you are onlaren't the 3rd practice I would much rather we were making mistakes and learning from that than just going through the half paced motions and thinking we are ahead of where we actually are...defence wil also be ahead of the offence early...especially this defence which is pretty simple to install...I have no concerns at this point...especially until we get more talent out there on both sides of the ball.

Also very much so worth nothing Flus said in his press conference that today's practice was different from the first two as their was no walk through and they were still trying to learn no concepts...that is a pretty big difference especially on the last day of camp when a lot of these guys will be just thinking about leaving town.