Mini Camp News [Apr 20-22]

WindyCity

If you listen to the Hoge and Jahns podcast (it's really fun if you haven't) the title of todays is something like "Fields struggling or defense dominating?" 

Ever feel like we're in some Sarte-themed afterlife where the same mistakes happen over and over again (but with entertaining variations) Wish I could make GIFs as there's got to be a Bill Murray facial expression from Groundhog Day that sums up the feelings of being a Bears fan.  

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

If you listen to the Hoge and Jahns podcast (it's really fun if you haven't) the title of todays is something like "Fields struggling or defense dominating?" 

Ever feel like we're in some Sarte-themed afterlife where the same mistakes happen over and over again (but with entertaining variations) Wish I could make GIFs as there's got to be a Bill Murray facial expression from Groundhog Day that sums up the feelings of being a Bears fan.  

There was a stargate SG1 Groundhog Day episode where one of characters started each day getting slammed in face with a locker.  

Edited by dll2000

20 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Flus couldn't be more right on this...when you are onlaren't the 3rd practice I would much rather we were making mistakes and learning from that than just going through the half paced motions and thinking we are ahead of where we actually are...defence wil also be ahead of the offence early...especially this defence which is pretty simple to install...I have no concerns at this point...especially until we get more talent out there on both sides of the ball.

Haven't we heard this before when installing a new offense? We seem to give plenty of grace for the QB and offense in general during these initial practices, but it's extremely considering. This offense does not have a lot of talent on it, hence it's terrible ranking last year. 

I would expect a painful offensive season this upcoming year unless we heavily focus on the draft and nail a bunch of picks. 

22 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Haven't we heard this before when installing a new offense? We seem to give plenty of grace for the QB and offense in general during these initial practices, but it's extremely considering. This offense does not have a lot of talent on it, hence it's terrible ranking last year. 

I would expect a painful offensive season this upcoming year unless we heavily focus on the draft and nail a bunch of picks. 

It's so, so early.

If Getsy is smart, he'll hammer home the run game in practice, make them 100% efficient in their blocks and execution.

Then, build your PA and passing game off that. It's a sweet system if you deploy it correctly (again, I've been begging for this since 2009).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

1 practice where offence never saw the defence...1 practice where they were at least on the same field...1 practice with minimal reps in non contact 7 on 7 & 11 on 11...

This "mini camp" is not even a true install...it's a getting to know the new coaching staff and players...how to get yourself around the building...getting fitted for the equipment...and figuring out what is good in the canteen...

After the draft starts next week we will never even talk about these three days again...as Fishbain said on Hoge & Jahns...what do you remember from the 3 days minicamps that John Fox or Matt Nagy had? Nothing at all...this will be no difference and IMO a rough day is better than everything seeming like smooth sailing because once these guys all leave the facility there will be a new focus on knowing the details of that playbook and understanding how to be better prepared for when we hit real camp.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

.what do you remember from the 3 days minicamps that John Fox or Matt Nagy had? Nothing at all..

In 2019 there was a lot of talk about Mitch not making the right call and throwing a lot of interceptions... 

I'm on the opinion that it's early and in process, but not acknowledging that it sure sounds like Fields had a dumb day doesn't make it go away. Aren't 7on7s pretty much free reign for the offense to go off without the usual stresses of full pads and teams?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

In 2019 there was a lot of talk about Mitch not making the right call and throwing a lot of interceptions... 

I'm on the opinion that it's early and in process, but not acknowledging that it sure sounds like Fields had a dumb day doesn't make it go away. Aren't 7on7s pretty much free reign for the offense to go off without the usual stresses of full pads and teams?

Yeah...in actual TC...very different having a one bad practice in April and having a string of successive bad practices in actual camp...

I think a lot will get put at the feet of Fields but we have no idea if this was purely on him...on bad routes from the receivers...on no one knowing what they were really going out there...it's a nothing story at this point...if the same thing happens come camp then sure it's a concern but not now.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

It's so, so early.

If Getsy is smart, he'll hammer home the run game in practice, make them 100% efficient in their blocks and execution.

Then, build your PA and passing game off that. It's a sweet system if you deploy it correctly (again, I've been begging for this since 2009).

The idea behind modern offenses is simple run game and complex passing game.  So practice ratio is like 4-1.

But you are right that teams should spend more time working on run game, blocking fits and especially get off.   So many blocks are won or lost on first two steps. 

A dlinemen is on their hip or in their chest or under their arms too quick and it's over.

Go back and watch SF online in their SB year a few years back   They were exceptional at get off that year.   Why they whipped GB twice.  Really underrated fundamental.

Best coach I have ever seen at teaching O line get off and best results was a HS coach in California.  I believe it was Ladouceur for De La Salle, but my memory is getting fuzzy on who is who.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The idea behind modern offenses is simple run game and complex passing game.  So practice ratio is like 4-1.

But you are right that teams should spend more time working on run game, blocking fits and especially get off.   So many blocks are won or lost on first two steps. 

A dlinemen is on their hip or in their chest or under their arms too quick and it's over.

Go back and watch SF online in their SB year a few years back   They were exceptional at get off that year.   Why they whipped GB twice.  Really underrated fundamental.

Best coach I have ever seen at teaching O line get off and best results was a HS coach in California.  I believe it was Ladouceur for De La Salle, but my memory is getting fuzzy on who is who.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I know for Kyle Shanahan's offense, they hammer down the run game first and foremost and then build everything off that (I love it, personally).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I watched this in slow motion and counted 47 false starts, 28 illegal formation, 55 clipping, 72 holding, and 39 chop block penalties.

Not true and you don’t officiate in slow motion.  

You can also go low and block behind in tackle box.  You just can’t combo and do so.  

You have two yards outside where tackles line up and 5 yards to either side of line of scrimmage.  

Also, as long as your head is at centers waste you are on line of scrimmage and NFL is super lenient with being on and off line of scrimmage.  You can barely be off and be off and barely be on and be on.