49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

So he is offended because there hasn't been an offer? All the new deals have been for WRs who changed teams, correct? Most teams do new deals with their players AFTER the Draft, no?

Now he says "Don't bother, just trade me"? Appears to be some thin skin there, even if AJ Brown already has an offer. If one is looking to be offended....

Assuming Deebo can fetch a first, would the 49ers even risk using it without having had visits with any first-round candidates? — Cully C.

Great questions. I put a lot of work into figuring out who the 49ers have been looking at the most closely and I couldn’t find any first-round picks who were brought in on official visits. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but the team usually has extensive interviews (plural) with players they take early. In 2019, for example, they either hosted or had private workouts with their first five picks: Nick Bosa, Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mitch Wishnowsky and Dre Greenlaw.

This year, all of the guys we know they’ve brought in for visits are projected to go in the late second round or later, which is where the 49ers have their nine picks.

Having said that, despite my best efforts, I could only find 15 official visits this year. Teams are permitted to bring in 30 players and it’s absolutely possible some potential first-rounders were snuck in through the proverbial back door. If the 49ers were making plans to pick in the first, they might feel compelled to be extra hush-hush about it. In fact, I spoke with two agents who essentially said, “Yes, one of my guys is visiting, but the 49ers asked that I not say anything.”

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Assuming Deebo can fetch a first, would the 49ers even risk using it without having had visits with any first-round candidates? — Cully C.

....If the 49ers were making plans to pick in the first, they might feel compelled to be extra hush-hush about it. In fact, I spoke with two agents who essentially said, “Yes, one of my guys is visiting, but the 49ers asked that I not say anything.”

The underlined above is really quite cool and interesting... I don't think I have heard that before. Subterfuge! Surreptitious! I like it. 😈 

43 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Great questions. I put a lot of work into figuring out who the 49ers have been looking at the most closely and I couldn’t find any first-round picks who were brought in on official visits. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but the team usually has extensive interviews (plural) with players they take early. In 2019, for example, they either hosted or had private workouts with their first five picks: Nick Bosa, Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mitch Wishnowsky and Dre Greenlaw.

This year, all of the guys we know they’ve brought in for visits are projected to go in the late second round or later, which is where the 49ers have their nine picks.

Having said that, despite my best efforts, I could only find 15 official visits this year. Teams are permitted to bring in 30 players and it’s absolutely possible some potential first-rounders were snuck in through the proverbial back door. If the 49ers were making plans to pick in the first, they might feel compelled to be extra hush-hush about it. In fact, I spoke with two agents who essentially said, “Yes, one of my guys is visiting, but the 49ers asked that I not say anything.”

Damn you!!! That was one of my happy circumstantial data points that we weren't looking to move him! 

If location truly is an issue, I wonder if Atlanta becomes a possible trade partner. They are basically broke in terms of cap, but they could desperately use a wide receiver and they have two second round picks this year as well (though not as good as the Jets and Lions picks in similar range, so I'd want more) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If location truly is an issue, I wonder if Atlanta becomes a possible trade partner. They are basically broke in terms of cap, but they could desperately use a wide receiver and they have two second round picks this year as well (though not as good as the Jets and Lions picks in similar range, so I'd want more) 

Yep my thoughts too. This is as close as it can get to SC. I truly don't think Carolina is an option for him.

Deebo/Pitts/Ridley and Stroud or Young for 2023 sounds nice....Assuming they keep Ridley.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

This feels like a very weird tonal shift from MM? 

He has done this before.

Remember when he was pro-justin fields on the day of the trade, and then the next day immediately shifted to "mac jones is the pick"?

MM is still getting treated as if he is the gold standard of 49er reporting. He isnt and I am tired of his crummy takes being taken as gospel lol