49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Things like this always amuse me in some fashion. I don't care how he acts. If he can get his money, his location, he should . But I find the drama unfolding hilarious and that's what I'm here for

Sign him, trade him. I can justify either

That's the way I feel. He has his reasons, no matter what they are. If he goes, he goes, and we'll have to deal with that.

And you know what, even if his reasons are bad (we may never know), even if he's a diva, I will still be interested in watching what he does on another team. I'm not a "he's dead to me" kind of fan. I have my opinions. I don't think he'll do as well on another team, and he's currently shooting himself in the foot. But I'm still going to cheer on him, especially if he comes back. 

12 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Guy and Middlekauf brought up a trade that I hadn't though of. Deebo to the Jets for 35/38 and a 2023 1st...

That is the ideal package... Have NFL teams ever put protections on picks a la the NBA?

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Guy and Middlekauf brought up a trade that I hadn't though of. Deebo to the Jets for 35/38 and a 2023 1st...

Here's the problem with all these people on twitter when they say this stuff...they aren't adjusting for the value of #10 over a mid first round pick. They are seriously just treating the #10 pick like it's the #22 pick that Green Bay got for Rodgers. They are not the same. #10 is significantly more valuable, pretty much regardless of the draft

"mid first this year + second day pick next year"...what's the difference between pick 10 and pick 16? A late second round pick lol. 

5 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

You're not going to get 35 and 38 along with a first next year. People are really undervaluing those two picks. They are just less than the Adams return and more than the primary return on the Hill trade (29 & 50). You may be ablet to squeeze a bit more out of the Jets, but it should mostly be fluff (4th, 5th round pick stuff) 

Humorously, I've considered protected first on this trade in the past just as @adamq mentioned. I could see us getting 35 or 38 and next year's first from the Jets if you can throw on a protection, but no way you're getting both of those seconds and another first on top of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think the question isn't what other teams will offer but what the 49ers will take to move Deebo. 

Yep. This is basically what Breer is going with. He doesn't believe that Deebo will be moved.  There are kind of two parts to this - Deebo's traditional value as a receiver on the trade market, which really shouldn't be anything different than the previously comped trades, and where the 49ers headspace is with regards to the future with Deebo and at what point of value they actually start contemplating the offers. 

For now, though, I’d say it’s unlikely that Samuel will get moved between now and Thursday.

I could be wrong, and the reason I’d emphasize that up front is I’m not sure how far someone else is willing to go to get him. I just feel like, at this point, with how carefully the Niners are managing the situation, it’d take a lot for them to move off their spot.

How much would it take? One rival GM said to me Sunday that he believes you’d probably have to go to John Lynch with two first-round picks, which would replace the 2022 and ’23 first-rounders the Niners dealt away last year to move up for Trey Lance, to wriggle Samuel free of San Francisco. And that is a lot, even in comparison to the other big receiver trades of the early parts of this year.

The Dolphins landed Tyreek Hill for the 29th and 50th picks, plus three Day 3 picks from Kansas City. The Raiders got Davante Adams for the 22nd and 53rd picks. The Jets, who’ve been connected to Samuel (for obvious reasons), offered a package centered on the 35th and 38th picks for Hill. And Hill and Adams are receivers who, with all due respect to Samuel, are easier fits for other teams with much longer track records.

I love Samuel as a player, but the fact remains that you need a plan, and creativity, to get the most out of him—and if he doesn’t want to do all that he did last year, at least in the minds of some teams I talked to over the weekend, he necessarily loses some value.

So if you’re asking me now how the Samuel situation will end, it’s hard for me to give you a definitive answer. Samuel’s really dug in and hasn’t let his agent negotiate much (if at all) with the Niners. The Niners have shown no inclination to move him for the sort of prices Hill and Adams fetched. And it’s clear a lot of fence-mending would be needed to get the train back on the tracks.

For that reason, it feels like this one could drag out a little while.

Unless, again, someone gets really aggressive.

• Like 2