49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I've been irritated about the interior Oline (Also free safety) since Shanny and Lynch have got here but they seem to win without it. I guess the other part about it that makes me not get up in arms is that it isn't over yet. Lets see how this weekend shakes out and maybe freak out then.

Sure, we may end up having a great draft with multiple day one contributors...But that doesn't excuse the other crap that has happened. 

1 hour ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It's humorous that we assume we know anything. Deebo demanding to be compensated appropriately based on market value, performance and the simple fact that he was the most dominant player on the team in 2 different offensive positions doesn't make him not a "high character guy." In one sentence you say that people disagreeing with your stance doesn't make it less valid....immediately after saying he is acting like a *****. If anyone's opinion on the matter matters it would be Deebo's. This 100% does not divide a locker room. Players are for players in sports and rightfully so. They want him to get paid because they know how quickly it can change. There isn't a guy in that locker room that has a qualm about how it is being handled and if there is they will never discuss it. This negotiation will have a very limited impact on future negotiations as well. Each negotiation is a different animal and virtually none of the variables are the same. Market value changes, productivity is different, teams needs are different, etc. The post couldn't be more wrong.

I would assume (and its completely that, an assumption on my part) that Paraag came in and offered under 20 mil to Deebo. Deebo is sitting back and watching guys like Christian Kirk get paid and knows he is a better player than them. He played through injury and was 47% of the offense or some crazy number in the postseason. If the Niners low balled him that is on them. They are well known for thinking they are the smartest guy in the room so this really shouldnt be a shock to any of us. 

Your second paragraph, totally agreed. The first paragraph, I don’t claim to know anything, but I’ve been in business long enough to know the proper way to negotiate and going public does nothing but divide. You made my point when you said the ones that do have a problem won’t discuss it. That doesn’t mean they aren’t divided. That means they aren’t gonna stoop to what Deebo’s doing. 

As far as players being for players, you’re 90% right. That’s the case on most teams and the way it works. But on the other 10%, the championship teams, players are for the team and that means respect for the coach and the organization. It’s why Bill Walsh and Eddie D didn’t have issues with players. And if they did they were out. Or why the Pats have just gotten rid of guys once they divide a locker room. 

I don’t know what led to it, and I’m sure ownership has some fault. But then you handle it directly with the team, not with social media and refusing to discuss with the team. I don’t know what you do for work, but think of same scenario. Someone that goes out on stress leave or talks crap about management and says they’re screwing you… you may be for their cause somewhat, but you still want to keep your distance. You telling me niner players aren’t doing the same thing with Deebo?

• Like 3

so what free agent receivers are available? Kawakami reporting a trade is far more likely now given how uncomfortable this ordeal is making the team.

Parag is hitting the point of fireable. between the buckner contract, the ford contract story and now Deebo…it just seems like he’s having more misses than hits. is AA the only value deal on our roster? might even be debateable too.

1 minute ago, John232 said:

so what free agent receivers are available? Kawakami reporting a trade is far more likely now given how uncomfortable this ordeal is making the team.

Julio and Jarvis are the two...."adults" available, shall we say. Beckham too, but he may not be available all year.

I suspect Will Fuller ends up in Cleveland, but he is available as well. 

Other than that, I don't think that guys like Ty Hilton or Manny Sanders are viable top 2 guys any more. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Parag is hitting the point of fireable. between the buckner contract, the ford contract story and now Deebo…it just seems like he’s having more misses than hits. is AA the only value deal on our roster? might even be debateable too.

I don't think Paraag will ever be fireable. I think his job is pretty sizable with regards to Jed's entire business portfolio and not just the 49ers. 

Hard to define "value" for AA's contract because it was backloaded and has been restructured. So this year we restructured him and now his cap hit is good, but next year he has the second highest cap hit of all defensive tackles and the year after that he's actually #1. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, N4L said:

I said last year that there was no way Kyle traded up for McCorkle

This year, I am saying there is no way Kyle is trading Deebo

IT AINT HAPPENING

I'm convinced that he is gone, 99%

So congrats, you are definitely correct 🤣

How can it be about money when the 49ers have reportedly never made an offer?

And how can it be location if he is currently training in CA and is apparently willing to play anywhere else?

I think it's personal.. maybe tied to the Jimmy situation, maybe it's something between him and Kyle.. who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by adamq

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Your second paragraph, totally agreed. The first paragraph, I don’t claim to know anything, but I’ve been in business long enough to know the proper way to negotiate and going public does nothing but divide. You made my point when you said the ones that do have a problem won’t discuss it. That doesn’t mean they aren’t divided. That means they aren’t gonna stoop to what Deebo’s doing. 

As far as players being for players, you’re 90% right. That’s the case on most teams and the way it works. But on the other 10%, the championship teams, players are for the team and that means respect for the coach and the organization. It’s why Bill Walsh and Eddie D didn’t have issues with players. And if they did they were out. Or why the Pats have just gotten rid of guys once they divide a locker room. 

I don’t know what led to it, and I’m sure ownership has some fault. But then you handle it directly with the team, not with social media and refusing to discuss with the team. I don’t know what you do for work, but think of same scenario. Someone that goes out on stress leave or talks crap about management and says they’re screwing you… you may be for their cause somewhat, but you still want to keep your distance. You telling me niner players aren’t doing the same thing with Deebo?

Yeah I am. Deebo is re-setting his value on this contract. Anyone, anywhere that has that opportunity should do that. I did this for myself last year. Not a single time did I ever think about how any of my colleagues felt about how I went about it nor did I even stop to consider the opinion of my corporate employer during the negotiations. I knew my value, I knew the situation, I knew the need and I demanded what I wanted with the understanding that expectations would be different for me than the rest because of it. The scenarios are similar, just on a much lesser scale economically. I bet on myself and was willing to walk away if necessary and Deebo is doing the same thing. Eddie paid players and paid them very well. That is why Eddie is still revered to this day. The other issue you have is that its not 1987 and the way that the 2020 athlete makes their point is different then it was then. Public perception is a big deal in the World today and players and agents know this. Teams do not want to appear cheap or unwilling and at the end of the day they need their fanbase to feel a certain way about things. The Niners are great at this. Do we not find it convenient that they released the saloon font and the the three stripe sleeve at this current time? Its marketing 101. 

Those Championship teams theory is a fallacy. If that is the case the 98 Bulls do not win. Teams don't have to get along to win and they don't have to agree to win. They just need a common goal and I would offer up that not paying Deebo or low balling him and having him disgruntled is more of an issue in regards to the team. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I'm not sure those are Paraag issues. The personnel guys make decisions, Paraag just negotiates contracts, no? Did Paraag walk into Lynch's office and say "Man, we can't pay Buckner, you gotta trade him"? Or was John and the other personnel guys just talking, and figured it was between signing Buck and letting AA walk, or trading Buck for a first rounder and re-signing AA. I'm not sure Paraag's skills as a contract guy has much to do with it. And yes, Paraag negotiated Ford's contract. But John traded for him and wanted to get him signed. As for Deebo, it seems re-signing our own guys goes along some sort of team philosophy. We sign our own in July. Is it at Paraag's request? He prefers to work in July, rather than take a vacation, like the coaches and players do? Honestly, I fail to see how this is a Paraag problem. You may not like the terms of the contracts, but he's not making all the personnel decisions you're blaming him for. I mean, is he overrated? Sure, perhaps a little bit. I think the management of the team's finances was so bad prior to his arrival, that him being merely competent elevated his status quite a bit. But is he at fault for all our woes? I don't think so.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, N4L said:

I said last year that there was no way Kyle traded up for McCorkle

This year, I am saying there is no way Kyle is trading Deebo

IT AINT HAPPENING

I'm more confident that Deebo is staying than I was that the pick wasn't Mac....depending on the day you caught me. 

I just think that this is about money and once the draft passes and Deebo is still here and realizes he's not going to get moved, he's going to be a lot more open to signing that extension. 

I think the 49ers are just gambling that they don't have to endure drama for years and won't have to hold him hostage...they just have to make it through this stretch where Deebo is clearly upset and letting it be known. 

32 minutes ago, adamq said:

I'm convinced that he is gone, 99%

So congrats, you are definitely correct 🤣

How can it be about money when the 49ers have reportedly never made an offer?

And how can it be location if he is currently training in CA and is apparently willing to play anywhere else?

I think it's personal.. maybe tied to the Jimmy situation, maybe it's something between him and Kyle.. who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I still think its about money. I don't think you have to put out a formal offer to tell his agent, "we are thinking 19M" or, "we are thinking 40M guaranteed" for Deebo to take affront. 

The one reason I definitely don't think that he'll get moved though is because I simply don't believe anyone will meet our asking price. Nothing to support it, of course, but I do believe our askign price is way out of whack with the numerous previous receiver trades 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still think its about money. I don't think you have to put out a formal offer to tell his agent, "we are thinking 19M" or, "we are thinking 40M guaranteed" for Deebo to take affront. 

The one reason I definitely don't think that he'll get moved though is because I simply don't believe anyone will meet our asking price. Nothing to support it, of course, but I do believe our askign price is way out of whack with the numerous previous receiver trades 

I agree with this thought process. He hung it out there for the team last year. They likely tried to play hard ball and it bit them. They wont get what they want and then it will be back to the drawing board and a deal gets done

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Im so darn curious what it would take to pry Deebo away. Pardon my language.

1 minute ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Im so darn curious what it would take to pry Deebo away. Pardon my language.

think they really are looking at something comparable to two first round picks. 

35 / 38 / 69 high pick next year. 

#10  + #69 + 3rd next year? 

Stuff like that. I think we are really shooting for the moon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

think they really are looking at something comparable to two first round picks. 

35 / 38 / 69 high pick next year. 

#10  + #69 + 3rd next year? 

Stuff like that. I think we are really shooting for the moon

Hmmmmm ya…….Deebo is staying lol

I read the stuff from Kawakami...not taking it as he thinks Deebo gets moved but rather that its more likely he gets moved now than it was before, which I would agree with. He said on one of his later tweets "If and When Deebo doesn't get traded....". 

• Like 1