49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

My goodness, I hate those two lol (funny enough, I know Deebo hates Jennifer Lee Chan as well) 

"We have been hearing for a while that deebo is not happy with things, but we didnt report it, and now that everyone knows he isnt happy, we are going to continue to not provide any specific information as to why deebo is unhappy"

JFC. You think they got told by someone that deebo was unhappy BEFORE all of this, and didnt ask any follow up information or get any additional context???

He just needs to include crazy incentives based on carries in his contract. Like, more than 15 carries in a season triggers a 5 million bonus. BAM! You're not a wide back anymore. That is, of course, combined with him NOT making 30m a year. Imagine if there's also a bonus that triggers if he catches for 1500 yards. And there's a few weeks to go, and he's not going to make it. Is he going to advocate for getting runs, then?

I maintain that his next three years should average a little less than 20m. He is due nearly 5m in 2022, the franchise tags for 23-24 would be around 20m and 24m, so we control him for 49 over 3 years. That's 16.3m per year, that is literally his value, based on the CBA. If he gets 18 per, most of it guaranteed, it's already a win for him.

And I was thinking earlier. We do not have to honour his trade demand (I was thinking that before I even knew there was an actual demand). He'll have to come in camp, because players can't afford the fines anymore with the new CBA. He won't be happy, but he won't have much of a choice. Then perhaps the new offense with Trey will suit him more. He won't be asked to run the ball as much, to take screen passes and run through people as much, and he should be targetted deep much more (just look at the texans game for reference). But then again, maybe he'll witness the rapport between Trey and Aiyuk, and maybe Aiyuk is the 1500 yards receiver next year, and Deebo will wish he had taken the 18m per, instead of being cast as the guy who had one great year and regressed, and makes 12m instead.

So basically, his best bet is still with us, in my opinion, but he can manipulate things to make it work for him. Honestly, I wouldn't mind him having only 15 carries next year (although it can be difficult, considering some screen passes end up being carries, technically). I could imagine him going 5 games without a carry, then having 4 in one game. I can see him lining up in the backfield, but either being used as a decoy, or simply running a route from there. I'm totally for reducing the wear and tear on his body, and I believe he's a good downfield receiver, and we should look at improving that part of our offense, now that we have a strong arm under center. 

34 minutes ago, N4L said:

Vish has a great point here.

I can see where Deebo would do anything the team asked of him, then paraag saying "well, you are part RB so we are going to blend WR/RB contracts to pay you less" would be something that would cause deebo not to pick up the phone when paraag calls back

This! This is exactly how I feel about all this! He wants to do whatever to get us the win, but when it boils down to the dollar amount, he's a receiver. Paraag tried to get too cute and it's biting them in the ***. I still think we can mend the relationship, but Deebo has to be able to come back to the table, so Kyle or whoever can step up and make sure he gets paid properly as a receiver. Going off what @rudyZ mentioned, you can give him incentives for how many runs, etc. but of course you still have to get closer to that guaranteed money that he wants as a receiver not a blend. Didn't Kittle do something similar? Not the request for being traded, but because we utilize him different (more roles), he wanted to be paid more? I could have sworn that happened. 

Deebo is an elite WR. Everything else is extra. If he doesn't want RB carries all yr long...don't! His value is not hurt with those carries off the table. Get a QB that can get him the ball in open space. Should be simple.

I'm a 49ers fan 1st but I never fault players for doing what's best for them. Hope Deebo is there week 1 but if he's not it better be a haul of picks/players for him. 

Also for anyone who can't figure out why now. Well your team is in the playoffs(NFCCG) you go all in to win a SB. So a few more carries for the ultimate prize >>> 100+ carries in the regular season getting beat up. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I hate these cryptic tweets 

I'm assuming this has to do with the reasoning as to why he wants to be traded. He was liking tweets saying that he requested a trade, so either he still wants to be traded and is disputing the reasoning being thrown around, or he's out here trolling everyone; which is entirely possible lol. 

47 minutes ago, sherm said:

Deebo is an elite WR. Everything else is extra. If he doesn't want RB carries all yr long...don't! His value is not hurt with those carries off the table. Get a QB that can get him the ball in open space. Should be simple.

I'm a 49ers fan 1st but I never fault players for doing what's best for them. Hope Deebo is there week 1 but if he's not it better be a haul of picks/players for him. 

Also for anyone who can't figure out why now. Well your team is in the playoffs(NFCCG) you go all in to win a SB. So a few more carries for the ultimate prize >>> 100+ carries in the regular season getting beat up. 

I gotta disagree here, I don’t think as a “pure WR” that Deebo is “elite”. You could make the argument that as a pure wr, Aiyuk may be better. But it’s that versatility that makes Deebo so darn good. He isn’t a top 5 Wr IMO opinion, but if you said “offensive weapon”, I would say is up there at #1 or #2.

Deebo drops a good amount of passes and doesn’t run the cleanest of routes, but when the ball is in his hands, he is electric. Thats why giving him snaps at RB and making it easier to get the ball in his hands. If he doesn’t do that anymore, I definitely think it hurts his value.

now if you were to say to cut those reps maybe in half, I could agree with that. It’s the NFL, u get ur playmakers the ball anyway you can. If you had a RB say they didn’t want to catch passes anymore, you would probably laugh…….same same

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I gotta disagree here, I don’t think as a “pure WR” that Deebo is “elite”. You could make the argument that as a pure wr, Aiyuk may be better. But it’s that versatility that makes Deebo so darn good. He isn’t a top 5 Wr IMO opinion, but if you said “offensive weapon”, I would say is up there at #1 or #2.

Deebo drops a good amount of passes and doesn’t run the cleanest of routes, but when the ball is in his hands, he is electric. This giving him snaps at the and making it easier to get the ball in his hands. If he doesn’t do that anymore, I definitely think it hurts his value.

now if you were to say to cut those reps maybe in half, I could agree with that. It’s the NFL, u get ur playmakers the ball anyway you can. If you had a RB say they didn’t want to catch passes anymore, you would probably laugh…….same same

Kyle Shanahan doesn't strike me as the type of guy that will let his players dictate what kind of offense he wants to run or how he wants to employ them. Maybe it's just me, but I think if they try and force anything on Shanahan he'll just tell Lynch to trade him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sherm said:

100%. I'd hold no ill will on deebo even if this was 100% his call. Go get your market worth, go be where you want to be. If you have the ability to make it happen, make it happen.