You're on the clock....

Dcash4

I respect everyone's opinion even if different from mine. The Keomatu comparison to Penning seems a bit exaggerated in my humble opinion. Keomatu was a scrapper, but he simply was not a good OL. He struggled run blocking and pass blocking. I am not sold out on Penning, but in this scenario it would be hard not to take him. I considered Tyler Linderbaum which most of you would probably would have broken your laptops. 

No doubt that Penning is raw.  He will struggle more with pass blocking than run blocking, but realistically he doesn't need to start. With our pitiful rushing attack of the past several years, I would think we would welcome some nasty. Hoping that Dotson stays healthy and returns to the player we saw with glimpses as a rookie. James Daniels was a very pleasant signing. The guy is outright nasty. I think playing OL is more about desire and this guy has desire to move people. 

I am tired of failing to pick-up third and one because we can't move anyone up front. This is not new and actually goes back to 2017 when the Jaguars defense exposed our OL in both games. We have seen what Chuks is and Moore is still an unknown. I made a choice, obviously an unpopular one, but one that I believe would pay of some OL dividends. 

The team invested in a first round RB who looks like he is already top five and looking to move up. Get him some help. We don't have an elite QB anymore and truthfully haven't for a season and a half. Steelers need a ball control and strong rushing attack type of offense. They should have had that last year. 

Technique can be coached and taught, but attitude and desire can't be.  Some of the same was said about Taylor Lewan. You had a Northern Iowa kid who was trying to impress against bigger competition. Sadly if the Ravens get him, then they will be ramming the ball down our throats for years to come as many other teams did last year. Finesse football is not the Steeler way. There's a fine line between dirty and mean. Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, and Greg Lloyd were all called dirty players too. If that is dirty, we need more like that to start winning again. 

15 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Penning is massively overrated. His "nasty"  translates to "grabby" and  "has bad technique." I'm not sure I trust us to develop someone as raw as Penning. 

Couldn’t agree more, I think Penning has “bust” written all over him and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes much later than most are projecting. I don’t think he’s on our radar in the 1st anyway.

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Couldn’t agree more, I think Penning has “bust” written all over him and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes much later than most are projecting.

I don’t think he’s on our radar in the 1st anyway.

You like or dislike who you like or dislike. No argument or debate from me there. Yet my main issue is that our rushing attack and particularly our ability to convert consistently in third or fourth and short running the ball has not improved.   It doesn't have to be Penning to fix the OL. I do think they need more attitude on this football team. Maybe I have too much pride. I am truly sickened at the word "soft" and Steelers being in the same sentence. 

Penning is certainly not the only bullying type of OT.  I kind of feel the same way about Daniel Faaele as many of you do Penning.  I wouldn't mind if the value is right, but I probably see a lower value of Faaele as some others do. 

My main point is for the Steelers to try to address the OL. They don't have an elite QB, but they do have an elite RB. Get him some blocking and get back to playing smash-mouth football on offense and defense. The team has to transition from the pass happy days and finesse style that they had. It was sexy, but didn't win them any SB's or win play-off games of late. I think a culture change is needed and to get ack to true Steelers football which is not soft. And I am not advocating dirty football either. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I know I haven't been here in a while but where's the "predict the pick" thread?  I always loved it.  I'd make it but I don't know if that's someone's thing every year and I don't wanna step on any toes. 

Haha...make it.   The draft is next week.    

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

I’m 100% with you on improving the o-line and I wouldn’t be mad at all with spending a high pick on one. I think there’s a chance it’s week 5, our running game is still mediocre at best, and we all look around and say “why did we think signing Mason Cole and James Daniels was enough to fix our running game?” However I think we would benefit more from a stud IOL than OT tbh and I just don’t see Penning as an upgrade over Moore/Chuks at all. 

• Like 1